Sign in to follow this  
AlexFlies

Using combos for the Honeycomb Bravo rotaries

I've managed to configure the autopilot rotaries on the Bravo by using combos in AAO. E.g. when ALT is selected on the left rotary, turning the right rotary clockwise triggers a script which increases the selected altitude.

I've run into what is either a bug or configuration issue. After loading into the aircraft in the sim, if I have ALT selected and turn the right rotary it will adjust the altitude but it also adjusts the heading, speed, etc.

I've double checked the other configurations to make sure they're using a their respective combo button for the left rotary, thinking I'd assigned them all to ALT accidentally, but they all look correct.

If I cycle the left rotary from IAS to ALT and back a couple of times, the problem goes away and the configuration works as intended. This particular quirk makes me think it might be a bug.

My template is here:
https://github.com/alexcrawford/fnx320-aao-scripts/blob/main/examples/fnx320_honeycomb_bravo.tmpl

Let me know if you'd like any further info/evidence of the problem.

Thanks!

Sorry, but I don't have that hardware, so I can only offer generic advice. In general, the Combos work fine, I doubt that this is a "bug" per se.

That rotary selector, is that sending button events all the time, like a keyboard? Or is it more like a joystick button that is pressed continuosly? Or none of those, just a momentary "click"? 

Because if it is not a "switch", you will have to enable "is toggle" for the combos - and pray that the selector sends a "button up" event too. Otherwise you will have to script this and use a controller LVar that in turn triggers the other scripts. Know what I mean? Turning the selector changes the value of the LVar - and the Scripts behind the rotary call their subsequent actions based on the value of that LVar. 

In all cases, one problem could be that the device may not report the position of the selector initially. Then you have to turn it, so AAO gets a chance to pick up the current state.

I think that there are templates on the flightsim site for your hardware, did you check those out too?

Edited by Lorby_SI

LORBY-SI

Each state on the left rotary is essentially a continual joystick button press.

Then you have to turn it, so AAO gets a chance to pick up the current state.

This seems likely!

Most of the existing solutions use somewhat lengthy scripts with lots of if/else statements - I wanted to try and find out why combos wouldn't work as it's much cleaner.

I'll do some more testing this evening.

Hi Alex,

I have spent this weekend working to get my Honeycomb Bravo to talk to my Fenix A320 on MSFS. I am using similar combo logic for the left selector and the right rotary because I want to avoid writing any script if possible. I am using Guenseli's script file that I downloaded at

https://flightsim.to/file/33274/fenix-a320-aao-scripts-streamdeck-xl-profile-teaser

However I am not seeing the behavior you described except when I first created each of the assignments. It seemed to just take a little time for AAO to forget the previous assignment and accept the new one. After reading your post I went back and ran the sim again from the start and the selector assignments appear to be exclusive.

I came here looking to see if there was a way to expand the number of things the right rotary can accomplish by using more than two combos as I have done for other aircraft using the sim Controls options. It appears that AAO only allows a combo of two buttons or switches which limits the number of rotary functions to the 5 positions of the left selector switch.

Any ideas for accomplishing that without resorting to RPN script?

Hi @AlexFlies,

On 5/27/2022 at 7:02 AM, AlexFlies said:

...... if I have ALT selected and turn the right rotary it will adjust the altitude but it also adjusts the heading, speed, etc.......

I too, have had this problem that sometimes shows up in the CRJ when trying to change the altitude.

The solution that seems to work is to switch the combo assignments. 

1. Put the right rotary "Increase/Decrease- Buttons 12/13" as the Assigned button/key.
  2. And the left rotary "Alt -Button 20" as the Assigned Combo.

Intel i7 10700K (OC 5.0) / 32GB DDR4 3600MHz CL16 / EVGA NVIDIA RTX 2070 Super XC Ultra 8GB RAM / SSDs / 660watt PSU / LG27GL83A-B  1440P IPS G-Sync Compatible / Noctua NH-D15 CHROMAX / Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo

11 hours ago, Traveler Ray said:

Hi @AlexFlies,

I too, have had this problem that sometimes shows up in the CRJ when trying to change the altitude.

1. Put the right rotary "Increase/Decrease- Buttons 12/13" as the Assigned button/key.

Same, this is how I eventually got it working.

However, I'm seeing an issue with IAS/HDG/ALT changing erratically. E.g. it'll advance the heading to 303 but jump back to 302. It's hard to explain to here's a video: https://streamable.com/qvxanq

Anyone else experiencing this?

On 6/2/2022 at 2:39 AM, Traveler Ray said:

Hi @AlexFlies,

This doesn't work for me. If I change, for example, ALT, everything changes. If I vary HDG, everything changes. Has anyone found any solution?