Sign in to follow this  
Michael Moe

Technique for the Approach mode (A320)

Hi , Would like to know real world routines about the approach mode in the A320.

What is the normal behaviour/routine for this ? I normal fill in the approach page just after descend is engage.

What is considered normal after ?

I do have alot of manage speed still going to 250 knots(while at 180knots) on approach simply because it never has triggered the approach mode (ND says ILSXX on top) even with both "LS" on. Offcause hitting the activate approach in the MCDU works but i was under the impression that the aircraft could activate this by itself.

Thanks

Michael Moe

Edited by Michael Moe

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Emergency.png

Airbus by default aims for what they call a “decelerated approach” - ie S speed (~180kt) at the FAF. The default DECEL point is based on this.

In some cases you may want to opt for a stablilised approach. That is v app at the FAF.

There is a great video from Blackbox on this https://youtu.be/enlMh4CaemI

7 minutes ago, ah2511 said:

Airbus by default aims for what they call a “decelerated approach” - ie S speed (~180kt) at the FAF. The default DECEL point is based on this.

In some cases you may want to opt for a stablilised approach. That is v app at the FAF.

There is a great video from Blackbox on this https://youtu.be/enlMh4CaemI

Yeah  , and thanks but why does the airplane go for 250 knots  hitting the manage speed from 180/ flaps 1? It must be something on my end i guess. What can be done to activate approach mode automatic ? 

whats the demand/requirement for going from descend mode to approach mode ?

Michael Moe

Edited by Michael Moe

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

1 hour ago, Michael Moe said:

Yeah  , and thanks but why does the airplane go for 250 knots  hitting the manage speed from 180/ flaps 1? It must be something on my end i guess. What can be done to activate approach mode automatic ? 

Michael Moe

I think this is a bug (not respecting previously set speed limits on approach). I've submitted a support request for Fenix to have a look.

3 hours ago, ah2511 said:

I thought every approach should be a stabilised approach but it has nothing to do with your speed at FAF. Is this a different stabilised approach than what is normally talked about?

P3Dv4 + XP11

MFS

Isn't the activate approach mode in the MCDU suppose to activate automatically once your plane reaches the decelaration point on the ND? I feel like that decelaration point is a bit late. By the time my plane hits that point, it's about 10-15nm away from the runway. At least in the FBWA320NX, I recall that it was automated but not in the fenix, unless it's a bug.

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

For the Approach Phase to activate automatically the D must be magenta. If  it is white it will not activate automatically. If you cross D with speed selected rather than managed it will be white.

For destination data there is usually a scratchpad reminder well before T/D.

• Like 1

Regards

Howard

H D Isaacs

You are the pilot and you are in command. If you feel the decel point is too late take command and manually activate the approach. 

Having said that: the decel point is too late quite often and afaik real world pilots usually enable approach mode themselves earlier on. You might regard the automated approach mode as a safety measure. I seldom let the plane activate approach mode and rather do it myself. 

Edited by tup61
  • Like 1

I just work out from the arrival and approach charts when I would roughly like to be  at green dot speed, then I will activate the approach some 5-10 nm before this point depending on what the VNAV is doing prior to my GDS target. Some of the stuff I factor in are speed constraints, approach type, glide slope angle. I find it's a very dynamic thing, especially if you also fly with the ATC in Vatsim who might also give you a speed target.

I think it's one of the things where you can get better at with experience. It's also very rewarding when you manage to completely nail your speed management, being very energy and time efficient without compromising the safety aspects.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, suncoastflyer said:

I thought every approach should be a stabilised approach but it has nothing to do with your speed at FAF. Is this a different stabilised approach than what is normally talked about?

In the blackbox video, it's called an "early stabilised" approach. i.e you're stabilized at the FAF rather than 1000ft.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Michael Moe said:

What can be done to activate approach mode automatic ? 

You need to be in NAV or APP rather than HDG SEL over the decel point. The decel point will be in purple rather than white on the ND. See the video above.

Edited by srce
  • Like 1

I usually manually activate approach mode when I’m ready to decelerate to the green dot speed. Then I extend flaps so that I’m at flaps 2 just before glide slope capture. 

• Like 1

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

“Intensify the forward batteries. I don’t want anything to get through”

2 hours ago, srce said:

You need to be in NAV or APP rather than HDG SEL over the decel point. The decel point will be in purple rather than white on the ND. See the video above.

Are there you go. I was getting vector from ATC both times when it raised the speed to 250 hitting manage speed at IAF. Approach page was filled in way before during descend but approach mode did not kick at 180 knots which then seems to be notmal in HDG SEL then.

Michael Moe 

Edited by Michael Moe

Michael Moe

fs2crew_747_banner1.png

50 minutes ago, Michael Moe said:

Are there you go. I was getting vector from ATC both times when it raised the speed to 250 hitting manage speed at IAF. Approach page wad filled in way before during descend but approach mode did not kick at 180 knots which then seems to be notmal in HDG SEL then.

Michael Moe 

Yep it's a good reminder to activate approach phase as soon as you are vectored off your path or get ATC speeds. It's really only automatic when you fly the whole VNAV route as published, which is rather rate in real life and on vatsim.

• Like 2

The APPR page should be filled before the DES starts, because this information is used to plan the approach by the FMGC. The APPR phase will be initiated in managed descend at a point computed by the plane. I find the Fenix A320 is sometimes off here, and the plane needs drag. In any case, you can activate the approach phase once you fly in selected speed. Then go back to managed to green dot.

Paul Schmidt

We're fools to make war on our brothers in arms.