Sign in to follow this  
rob0203

Pmdg update

5 minutes ago, MrBitstFlyer said:

I purchased the PMDG 737 and it is fantastic - this and the Fenix A320 are a great pair considering the differences between the aircraft. 

Yes, they are both great aircraft, in a great simulator. I now find it difficult to decide what to fly! 

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Dan Scott

3 minutes ago, Cognita said:

I now find it difficult to decide what to fly! 

That's my dilemma too, so what I do now is I make two flights in the B737 and then two flights in the A320, rinse and repeat. 🙂 

• Like 1

AMD Ryzen 7800X3D & Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master MB, w/32 Gb GSkill DDR5 RAM, MSI 4090 GPU, lots of SSD's and M.2 drives, Fractal Torrent Case, Virpil VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle, Virpil Constellation Alpha Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Yoke Boeing Edition and MFG Rudder pedals. Currently on Win11

Looking forward to the update! Not really crazy about the 737-700. Looks like a midget plane when viewing from the exterior. I am waiting for the 737-900 version at least that looks a bit better. But what I'm really waiting for from PMDG are the sexyyyyyy 777 and the 747!!!

I really hope they will make an awesome EFB. Fenix and FBW has raised the bar when it comes to EFB designs! And also simbrief integration is a must!

Edited by captain420

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

55 minutes ago, Cognita said:

Yes, they are both great aircraft, in a great simulator. I now find it difficult to decide what to fly! 

If you want the closest thing to the Real counterpart, in a fake world reality on a desktop, your best bet is the Fenix A320 for MSFS and at this point its not even close.. Fenix, PMDG737, The Maddog MD82, Milviz 310 than the JF BAE 146 follows in that order.

Edited by jbdbow1970
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Dyno152 said:

I never understand some people and their perspective. PMDG and other developers keep this small hobby of ours alive and thriving - without third party developers working hard to bring these new add ons to life, our little hobby is done. Complain all you want but my attitude is appreciative of their efforts to keep things moving forward. You don’t like them? Fine don’t buy it but don’t complain and insult people that are making a difference in this hobby? What the hell are you doing to help this hobby? Rant over. 

I think some of the complaints and criticism go too far and I agree with the basic spirit of your post, but at the same time... you pay for that work.  They aren't freeware hobbyists doing this for a lark; they're people doing it for a career.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Paul K said:

Time is running out for them to get back on top of the pack ? I'm trying to work that one out - is there some sort of arbitrary cut-off date when, if they are not back on top of the pack, they can't ever be so again, no matter what they produce in the future?

More to the point, is this a "winner-take-all" competition where AVSim "experts" declare a new "world champeen," and thereafter no one should buy from any developer other than the current #1?

It's pretty silly, IMO.  It doesn't matter to me if Fenix or PMDG or some other developer is "top of the pack."  I want high-quality airliners from both Boeing and Airbus, and will buy the best product that fills each of those gaps, without restricting myself to one particular publisher.

• Like 7
  • Upvote 2

James David Walley

Ryzen 7 7700X, 32 GB, RTX 3080

I’m not so sure this is such a ‘small hobby’ anymore. I guess the section of it containing people willing to pay as much as the base game for one new aircraft might be small, but I think msfs has heralded something of an explosion in the basic installed user base. 

Also, may just be my mind misremembering things, but I’m sure PMDG regularly have these sort of single point of failure issues - one person being sick shouldn’t delay an entire plan, especially if it’s a relatively straightforward update. Anyway, hope they’re selling more of their products than ever before!

3 hours ago, JDWalley said:

More to the point, is this a "winner-take-all" competition where AVSim "experts" declare a new "world champeen," and thereafter no one should buy from any developer other than the current #1?

It's pretty silly, IMO.  It doesn't matter to me if Fenix or PMDG or some other developer is "top of the pack."  I want high-quality airliners from both Boeing and Airbus, and will buy the best product that fills each of those gaps, without restricting myself to one particular publisher.

Yes - exactly that. This forum can be a strange place at times.

Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting.

https://rationalwiki.org

3 hours ago, JDWalley said:

Lol no obvs it doesn’t matter in the sense of being a literal race!

The problem is just the brutal economic truth that a competitor who gets left behind can’t bank on arriving later: what tends to happen instead, is that they get gobbled up by the competition and go out of business 😞  (where are you now, WordPerfect? Lotus 1-2-3?) 

It’s for this reason, not because of a literal race, that I feel nervous about PMDG’s situation right now and I have my fingers crossed for them catching up rather than … going the other way 🙂

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Paul K said:

Yes - exactly that. This forum can be a strange place at times.

It’s merely another aspect of the human condition.

The same internet ‘characters’ can be found slugging it out on combat flight simulator forums  too.

No doubt someone, somewhere on the internet is arguing passionately about the modelling of the Iberian Ibex on Goat Simulator right now.🙃

Edited by DD_Arthur
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, tfm said:

The problem is just the brutal economic truth that a competitor who gets left behind can’t bank on arriving later: what tends to happen instead, is that they get gobbled up by the competition and go out of business 😞  (where are you now, WordPerfect? Lotus 1-2-3?)

That is a poor analogy. Those are word processors - people only use one make of word processor anyway. There's never going to be one single aircraft in MSFS, made by one developer, that people will use to the exclusion of all others.

I can see it in the case of type for type - i.e. one A320 being superior to another A320 etc, but you're not going to look to Fenix or FBW if it's actually a Boeing 737 that you want. If you want the best 737, you go to PMDG. Same same JF for the BAe 146, Leonardo for an MD80 etc etc.

An example - A2A are late to the sim because their trademark speciality, Accusim, has been problematical with MSFS. Does that mean they've  missed the boat ? Of course not - they competed well with Carenado and Just Flight in previous sims, and there's every reason to suppose they will do the same in MSFS.

Unlike word processors, no single developer is going to dominate flight simming aircraft add-ons, and there is no 'time running out' for any of them.

Edited by Paul K
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, Paul K said:

That is a poor analogy. Those are word processors - people only use one make of word processor anyway. There's never going to be one single aircraft in MSFS, made by one developer, that people will use to the exclusion of all others.

I can see it in the case of type for type - i.e. one A320 being superior to another A320 etc, but you're not going to look to Fenix or FBW if it's actually a Boeing 737 that you want. If you want the best 737, you go to PMDG. Same same JF for the BAe 146, Leonardo for an MD80 etc etc.

An example - A2A are late to the sim because their trademark speciality, Accusim, has been problematical with MSFS. Does that mean they've  missed the boat ? Of course not - they competed well with Carenado and Just Flight in previous sims, and there's every reason to suppose they will do the same in MSFS.

Unlike word processors, no single developer is going to dominate flight simming aircraft add-ons, and there is no 'time running out' for any of them.

Ok - well, I hope you’re right 🙂 

• Like 1

By the way, I really like what FBW is doing with the A320, and am not disparaging them by comparing it with the Fenix model. I'll stick with FBW, simply because I'd never do the Fenix A320 justice.

That's very weird that the update delay was not to attributed to Asobo...🤔

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1