Sign in to follow this  
David Mills

Jane, Stop This Crazy Thing

Could someone familiar with the PMDG 737 explain this mystery to me? I'm rather pleased with my progress in learning to manually program the FMC. But here's what invariably happens just after I land. I'll make a flawless flight (more or less), receiving no error messages or honking horns at all. I'll follow the LNAV flight path and the VNAV altitude and speed targets (more or less). I'll capture the glide slope and make an impressively smooth landing and come to a stop -- at which time the horn starts honking and won't quit under any circumstances. I get no error message. I've even tried flipping OFF every switch in the entire aircraft -- including the Horn Cutoff and the Alt. Horn Cutoff -- but the horn won't cut off. Is this perhaps a horn of celebration (for a successful flight) rather than a horn of impending doom? "Jane, stop this crazy thing."

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Processor: Intel i9-13900KF 5.8GHz 24-Core, Graphics Processor: Nvidia RTX 4090 24GB GDDR6, System Memory: 64GB High Performance DDR5 SDRAM 5600MHz, Operating System: Windows 11 Home Edition, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX, LGA 1700, CPU Cooling: Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling, RGB and LCD Display, Chassis Fans: Corsair Low Decibel, Addressable RGB Fans, Power Supply: Corsair HX1000i Fully Modular Ultra-Low-Noise Platinum ATX 1000 Watt, Primary Storage: 2TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, Secondary Storage: 1TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, VR Headset: Meta Quest 2, Primary Display: SONY 4K Bravia 75-inch, 2nd Display: SONY 4K Bravia 43-inch, 3rd Display: Vizio 28-inch, 1920x1080. Controller: Xbox Controller attached to PC via USB.

I think the autopilot disconnect horn carries on honking until you click the 'disconnect autopilot' to confirm that's what you wanted it to happen.  Not quite sure what the correct procedures are, but that certainly silences the horn for me 😉

• Like 3

Ryzen 7 7700x @5.5GHz; ASUS X670-P Motherboard; nVidia 4080 (factory o/c); 32G 5600MHz DDR5 SDRAM; HP Reverb G2

Thank you! I suspect that's my problem. I do disconnect the autopilot just before landing with the bar on the far right that disconnects everything at once. I then switch to an external view to watch the landing, where cockpit audio is unheard. When I return to cockpit view, the horn keeps honking. Where do you confirm that you want to disconnect the autopilot? On the FMC?

• Like 1

Processor: Intel i9-13900KF 5.8GHz 24-Core, Graphics Processor: Nvidia RTX 4090 24GB GDDR6, System Memory: 64GB High Performance DDR5 SDRAM 5600MHz, Operating System: Windows 11 Home Edition, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX, LGA 1700, CPU Cooling: Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling, RGB and LCD Display, Chassis Fans: Corsair Low Decibel, Addressable RGB Fans, Power Supply: Corsair HX1000i Fully Modular Ultra-Low-Noise Platinum ATX 1000 Watt, Primary Storage: 2TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, Secondary Storage: 1TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, VR Headset: Meta Quest 2, Primary Display: SONY 4K Bravia 75-inch, 2nd Display: SONY 4K Bravia 43-inch, 3rd Display: Vizio 28-inch, 1920x1080. Controller: Xbox Controller attached to PC via USB.

5 minutes ago, David Mills said:

Thank you! I suspect that's my problem. I do disconnect the autopilot just before landing with the bar on the far right that disconnects everything at once. I then switch to an external view to watch the landing, where cockpit audio is unheard. When I return to cockpit view, the horn keeps honking. Where do you confirm that you want to disconnect the autopilot? On the FMC?

Hey David,

Don't use the bar on the autopilot. Assign the "autopilot off" option in controls to a button on your joystick or keyboard. Press that button to disconnect the autopilot. Quickly press  again to silence the horn (this is how it happens in real life with an autopilot disconnect on the yoke, including the second press - which confirms your intent)

Had to step in here, seeing as you was asking Jane to turn it off ;))

all the best

Jane

Edited by JaneRachel
  • Like 19
  • Upvote 1

- Jane Whittaker

2 minutes ago, David Mills said:

I disconnect between 1000 and 500 feet AGL

• Like 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320,    Milviz C 310 ,  FSLTL  

TrackIR   Avliasoft EFB2    FSI Panel ,  ATC  by PF3  , A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS

1 minute ago, David Mills said:

I have a button on my yoke assigned and so, using that rather than the bar, I click once to disconnect the AP and then click again to cancel the horn.  In a GA aircraft, clicking a second time would re-engage the AP, but on these, presumably you always have to reset at the panel bar and button.

• Like 1

Ryzen 7 7700x @5.5GHz; ASUS X670-P Motherboard; nVidia 4080 (factory o/c); 32G 5600MHz DDR5 SDRAM; HP Reverb G2

Yep one click to disconnect, 2nd one to declare your (deliberate) intent and silence the warning horn.

• Like 1

Thomas Derbyshire

5 minutes ago, AJZip said:

I have a button on my yoke assigned and so, using that rather than the bar, I click once to disconnect the AP and then click again to cancel the horn.  In a GA aircraft, clicking a second time would re-engage the AP, but on these, presumably you always have to reset at the panel bar and button.

there should never be any reason to touch the bar on the autopilot deck in a 737, unless you are dealing with an abnormal situation.

• Like 5

- Jane Whittaker

1 hour ago, JaneRachel said:

Don't use the bar on the autopilot. Assign the "autopilot off" option in controls to a button on your joystick or keyboard. Press that button to disconnect the autopilot. Quickly press  again to silence the horn (this is how it happens in real life with an autopilot disconnect on the yoke, including the second press - which confirms your intent)

Should be marked as best answer. 

• Like 4

Specs: 11900K (5ghz), 64GB ram 3600mhz, RTX 3080 ti

That sound can drive a person crazy! I’ve got “Toggle Autopilot Master” mapped to a button on my stick. Push once to deactivate then twice to confirm. 

• Like 1

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

“Intensify the forward batteries. I don’t want anything to get through”

5 hours ago, David Mills said:

I do disconnect the autopilot just before landing with the bar on the far right that disconnects everything at once.

Dumb Question, but what is "the bar" ?

Thanks to Jane and others, I have indeed stopped this crazy thing. I mapped the X button on my XBox controller to Autopilot Off. When I press it the first time, the horn sounds. A quick second press and I'm in peace again. This problem was something I don't think I would have figured out on my own. So I especially appreciate you guys -- and ladies! 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Beagle12 said:

Dumb Question, but what is "the bar" ?

There is a horizontal bar-like switch on the far right of the autopilot panel that turns off everything at once. Jane said we shouldn't use it unless there is an unusual situation.

8 hours ago, JaneRachel said:

Don't use the bar on the autopilot. Assign the "autopilot off" option in controls to a button on your joystick or keyboard. Press that button to disconnect the autopilot.

Ironically, we have been advised against this very simple control binding for almost to 2 years now because the base sim "just doesn't support it, yet", despite this capability being available in past iterations of MSFS since 2002.

Maybe a person with your pedigree could convince the devs that basic AP functionality such as this should be universal across AC and not dependent on a 3rd party?   Hopefully, this could be "squeezed" into a update in the near future as they have conveyed they're sincerely dedicated to improving the core sim.

Regards, Kendall