Sign in to follow this  
yellowjack

Page File Setting HELP!!

Guest 1929clhenry

Dell P4-3GHZ-Win XP--2GB DDR2 Memory--ATI Radeon X1600 AGP Card 512 MB Mem--FXX with SP1 Update installed on Seperate Drive D.NO Tweeks used at this time.(Have some stutters on turns)C/drive=No Page FileD/40 GB Drive with Page file set at 2000 MB Minimum & 4000 MB Maxium.Need HELP on (Correct Settings for page file on this system)Will appreciate any other suggestions. THANKS in Advance Chuck

Guest allcott

Set separate partition for page file. Set size at 5 gig. Do NOT limit the page file. LET WINDOWS HANDLE IT.Allcott

Guest 1929clhenry

Alcott:Not sure how to do this. Should it be done on D Drive. & how is this done.??? sorry to be so dumb.

Before starting this take a back up or at least a system restore point.For XP you can change the page file settings by going to the Properties page of "My Computer" (right click and select "properties").Then select "Advanced" and then the settings button under the 'Properties' sub title.Now choose the "Advanced" tab now showing.You will see a "Virtual memory" sub title. Select the "Change" tab and your are nearly there.If you have made a disk partition for the page file (I have) then select the drive and configure a custom size. YOU MUST PRESS THE "SET" BUTTON for each partition change. There is a windows limit to how big this can be but mine is set to 3069(MB) but it will go to just under 4 Gigs IIRC. Make the intitial and maximum size the same to save size management I/O. Don't forget to remove the current swap file by selecting the partition with the current swap file on it and selecting "no page file"( Then the "set" button). You will need to re-boot after you have it how you want and pressed OK. After reboot go back to the virtual memory page and check that the new settings are as you want.If you can, put your swap file dedicated partition on a separate disk spindle to FSX and your operating system.There is also an XP registry tweak that will empty your swap file as part of the Windows shut down process but I haven't got the details at the moment. I hope this helps.John

John

Rig: Gigabyte B550 AORUS Master Motherboard, AMD Ryzen 7 3800XT CPU, 32GB DDR4 Ram, Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super Graphics,  Samsung Odyssey  wide view display (5120 x 1440 pixels) with VSYNC on.

Guest allcott

Create partition http://www.theeldergeek.com/hard_drives.htmDefrag the partition, then make the page file changes as detailed above, BUT LET WINDOWS HANDLE IT. There is absolutely no justification for messing with the Windows approach to page file management if it is on its own partition. To be honest there is absolutely no justification for doing so anywhere else, although the amount of wordage expelled in trying to could fill many, many novels. Page file resizing does NOT consume resources. Quite the opposite in fact. Allcott

Hi Folks>To be honest there is absolutely no justification> for doing so anywhere else,> although the amount of wordage expelled in trying> to could fill many, many novels.> Page file resizing does NOT consume resources.> Quite the opposite in fact. Unless you have a small hard disk with limited free space.Using a dynamic pagefile, (allowing windows to handle it),will cause it to very rapidly become fragmented.The seek time to find the parts of the now discontiguous file and the write time, attempting to find free space,will increase accordingly.By placing the file on a seperate physical drive & partitionyou are only reducing fragmentation interference by other software installations and temporary files.AFAIKThe soln in for limited free spaceis to defrag first,then set a fixed size pagefile, (identical min & max),which will force the allocation of a contiguous block.If using this method,any time you have a BSOD,the pagefile will become fragmented,and should then be defragged.AFAIKNot having any pagefile on the opsys drive,will possibly prevent a dumpfile being handled correctly.HTHATBPaulhttp://www.basys.f9.co.uk/resources/images..._sig_500x94.jpg

I have had my pagefile on a separate spindle since windows 98. I have never had a problem with this approach. (I used to be a mainframe performance analyst and became quite paranoic about head contention).I strongly disagree with alcott's view that the resource management costs are less for a statically sized file than a dynamically sized file due to the fragmentation and subsequent I/O path length issues.John

John

Rig: Gigabyte B550 AORUS Master Motherboard, AMD Ryzen 7 3800XT CPU, 32GB DDR4 Ram, Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super Graphics,  Samsung Odyssey  wide view display (5120 x 1440 pixels) with VSYNC on.