Sign in to follow this  
Wing Nut

Coming back after a LONG absence...

So I finally pulled the trigger and bought MSFS Deluxe.  I used to be into FS in a BIG way starting back with FS98.  In fact, that was the very first program I ever bought for a computer.  I went through all the various incarnations up to FSX. I remember the Golden age of Flight Simulators, the various scandals (who was it that tried to claim copyright to liveries back around 2000?) I hung in there a while after FS was canceled, vomited at the attempted reboot with MS Flight, then rejoiced when I heard the new version was coming out.  I dipped my toes in but the community had changed it seemed.  The site I used to frequent (Simviation) was a ghost town and now seems to run on bots with little to no activity.  I told myself I had moved on from Flightsims and however dedicated I was then, that chapter was closed.  The FS community seems just a shadow of it's former self.  Freeware seems dead and development seems limited to paints and scenery at best. The stalwarts like Avsim, Flightsim, Simouthouse, etc are still here and that is a good feeling knowing that people are still dedicated to this craft.  I was saddened to learn of Tom's passing and am happy to see his legacy is being preserved through the continuation of his site.

So, here I am back, FS2020 is downloading as I write and I hope to get reacquainted.  Looking forward to many hours of flying with you!

Kevin Ryan

• Like 22

Welcome back!  There’s never been a better time to be a flight simmer in my mind.

• Like 12

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

There are some great freeware titles out there

Head over to flightsim.to

It's the place for addons. All the usual payware outlets are still around.

What sort of flying do you prefer?  I ask because there are some "mandatory" freeware and addons....  For instance the WT G1000NXi (free in the marketplace) will make navigation in any G1000-based aircraft much more realistic.

• Upvote 1

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Did you ever go by the handle "wingnut" (all one word)?  I remember that name, and I thought it was here, but it could have been wing nut I'm remembering.

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

10 minutes ago, ryanbatc said:

What sort of flying do you prefer?  I ask because there are some "mandatory" freeware and addons....  For instance the WT G1000NXi (free in the marketplace) will make navigation in any G1000-based aircraft much more realistic.

Usually just GA.  Most of the default planes seem to be right up my alley.  Not into Commercial at all.  I really love Golden Age racers, but they ahve always been few and far between and I imagine that has not improved.  Then of course there are the obligatory warbirds to tool around in.

Just now, Mace said:

Did you ever go by the handle "wingnut" (all one word)?  I remember that name, and I thought it was here, but it could have been wing nut I'm remembering.

I thought I had used it here but couldn't seem to get it to work.  I used it over at SimV and a few other places.

I think you were probably just looking in the wrong places (old, dead forums).  You'll see evidence here at AVSIM that the scene and community has never been more thriving.  We have a stunning base of a simulator in MSFS (albeit not without some issues - as always). Digital usage stats show that more people are using flight sims than ever before.  You just need to be in the right room. 🙂  Nothing beats AVSIM for community interaction and sharing of ideas, help and news. And, dare I say, AVSIM has changed a lot since you were last here by the sounds of it.  It is far less authoritative in how it's run, is more friendly and easy going, but still maintains high standards and provides a safe, effective space to share the hobby.

As others have said, a site called flightsim.to is the place to go for all freeware for MSFS.  As well as some discrete free addons, it contains a plethora of excellent mods, liveries and utilities.

My advice, for when MSFS installs for you:-

After setting up your controllers and graphics settings (perhaps start at "Medium" then crank things up from there), go into the Marketplace page of MSFS and install a free addon called the "Working Title G1000Xi".  It is essential!   Then, go into the Cessna 172 G1000 that comes with all versions of MSFS, go to your favourite GA airfield, take off and see the beauty that beholds!

Have fun and welcome (back) ! 😎

• Like 6

Bill

UK LAPL-A

Currently flying:- (GA): COWS DA-42, A2A Comanche, FSW C414, WT SR22T, FSS P2006, BlSq TBM850, FSR M500, Flyboy Rans S6S, SWS Zenith 701,C172 JT-A mod (Airliners): Fenix A320, Ini A300-600, FBW A320 NEO and PMDG737.

9 minutes ago, Wing Nut said:

I thought I had used it here but couldn't seem to get it to work.  I used it over at SimV and a few other places.

Ok, it's you.  I definitely remember you, nice to come across you again.  Welcome back.

In 2009 there was an "incident" with the server here and maybe those who joined before '03 disappeared -- could be that's what happened to your "wingnut" handle.  I've been here since they acquired the IUP file archive and that was in like...1997...for some reason I remember a lot of the names.

Rhett

Welcome back Kevin! Once a simmer, always a simmer … especially for the true dedicated! Great intro too! There is lots to get excited about here! When you are ready to purchase your first GA bird, the best one is the MilViz Cessna 310R (my signature) in terms of systems depth and flight dynamics. Enjoy your flights!

Lawrence “Laurie” Doering

Latest video at The Flight Level F-18 Hornet | Supersonic Medical Transport | Dubai to Abu Dhabi | First Mission in DCS World | 4K

19 minutes ago, Wing Nut said:

Usually just GA.  Most of the default planes seem to be right up my alley.  Not into Commercial at all.  I really love Golden Age racers, but they ahve always been few and far between and I imagine that has not improved.  Then of course there are the obligatory warbirds to tool around in.

If default is your cup of tea download these freeware packages

https://www.workingtitle.aero/packages/

• Like 1

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

20 minutes ago, Wing Nut said:

There is a Gee Bee payware plane available, although I do not own it.  There's also a P-40 Tomahawk, and a Corsair.

Supposedly an F6F Hellcat is in the works, too.

Rhett

Welcome back! MSFS has breathed new life into our hobby and there has never been a better time to be a flight simmer.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

5800X3D. 32 GB RAM. 1TB SATA SSD. 3TB HDD. RTX 3070 Ti.

Welcome back, Kevin. It's a great time to be a simmer! I started at the beginning. Played every version ever made. Loved them all. THIS one is the one I always wanted.

You didn't say how you purchased your copy, but if you got it through the MS Store, I am going to give you the best piece of advice that I can. If you installed MSFS in a custom location instead of the default, make SURE that every time you see the folder picker for an update it is set to the correct location. Triple check before hitting install. MSFS likes to ignore the fact that you already have an installation, and will gladly give you a second helping in the default location. 

Second thing. Use the X-Box app to check for updates. It seems to be more consistent than the MS Store.

Good luck! 

i9-10850K, ASUS TUF GAMING Z490-PLUS (WI-FI), 32GB G.SKILL DDR4-3603 / PC4-28800, EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti BLACK EDITION 11GB running 3440x1440 

I can relate to your journey.  Mine mirrors yours in many ways.  I think my first edition was 98, can't recall.  I played off and on throughout the late 90's. bought just about ever version up to FSX.  I did play a lot, and really never took it to any level higher than just jumping in a plane, cruising around, and trying to land safely.  My favorite add-on plane was the Douglas DC-3, R4D-6 by Bill RamBow and Roy Chafen.  It came on the scene for FS2002.  Not sure what's happening today with them, but I understand they had a falling out over some copyright issues, and then in early 2010s, Roy had a stroke and was unable to continue, and the legal affairs kept mounting.  Not sure how it all turned out.  For it's time, related to the level of PC graphics, the detail (done by Roy) was exquisite.  It was the best.  Of course today's graphics capabilities have reached unbelievable realism and so the journey continues.

I picked up the premium edition in late 2020, and it's been a real ride.  Most planes are phenomenal, and one of my first purchases was PMDG's DC-6.  The level of realism is uncanny!  There is so much to choose from today with the variety of planes, scenery add-ons, weather and seasonal add-ons, liveries, flight planning, charting, GPS and list goes.  You will be surprised by the advancements.  Welcome back.

Rick

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Wing Nut said:

Definitely get the freeware mods out there for some of the default GA birds. The default Cessna 172 is quite good as it is however. And if you're ok to purchase payware birds, would highly recommend something like the Milviz C310 for high fidelity/aerodynamics. Also the Sting S4 and/or the Kodiak for single-engine.

Len
1980s: Sublogic FS II on C64 ---> 1990s: Flight Unlimited I/II, MSFS 95/98 ---> 2000s/2010s: FS/X, P3D, XP ---> 2020+: MSFS
Current system: i9 13900K, RTX 4090, 64GB DDR5 4800 RAM, 4TB NVMe SSD