Sign in to follow this  
Dazkent

late to the P3D party aircraft recommendations

1 hour ago, Rogen said:

I'm not after the Flight Sim Labs level of "study", would the Aerosoft airbuses suit ? i.e. not too problematicly high level and good fun flying ?

Plus @blaunarwal has discovered a NEO PBR mod package with new engines.

Anyone have any thoughts ?

They're generally OK, if a little basic. 
There is one significant issue, however. Dropping below 18 FPS can see them behave very weirdly (rocket climb of 6,000 fpm, drop like a rock, etc.) necessitating a slew into normal attitude and recovery. Very annoying.

15 hours ago, Dazkent said:

(PMDG way out of my comfort zone)

Then I think the recommendations for the Q400 are a little over-optimistic, I would say.
It's a fantastic aircraft, but hardly of the 'push a button and let it fly' variety. Has condition levers, a clunky FMC o/s (just like the real aircraft), and no autothrottle.

Perhaps the QW 757 with the PBR pack would be of more interest to you?

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

31 minutes ago, F737MAX said:

They're generally OK, if a little basic. 
There is one significant issue, however. Dropping below 18 FPS can see them behave very weirdly (rocket climb of 6,000 fpm, drop like a rock, etc.) necessitating a slew into normal attitude and recovery. Very annoying.

Thanks for the advices,

I don't (hopefully) think a drop to below 18fps will be an issue, I've had a stable 30 fps vsync locked for some years now and my specs are almost identical to yours (I say almost because I'm running my original x370 Pro Ryzen MB with a 5800X).

1 hour ago, Torsen said:

I've flown both the smaller busses and the 330 of AS a lot back in p3d. And they are for sure ok and fun to fly. The checklist can sometimes be a pita if they get stuck but otherwise for sure ok for the given price. I never went the FSL road cause for a typical daily ops without failures the AS were sufficient for me for sure.

Ta, sounds like a good starting pack especially with the NEO option and FS2 Crew.

And I pulled the trigger, looks like my weekend is going to be full 😁

Cheers

Ryzen 5800X clocked to 4.7 Ghz (SMT off), 32 GB ram, Samsung 1 x 1 TB NVMe 970, 2 x 1 TB SSD 850 Pro raided, Asus Tuf 3080Ti

P3D 4.5.14, Orbx Global, Vector and more, lotsa planes too.

Catch my vids on Oz Sim Pilot, catch my screen pics @ Screenshots and Prepar3D

Of course most of these recommendations are short-haul but I can't really go into a thread like this without talking up the PMDG 747-400. It's a very easy aircraft to fly despite the depth, loads more automation than your average 737 etc. and PMDG give you additional automation options for certain systems. With FS2Crew the workload goes down even further, it flies like a dream manually as well.

Its more of a long-haul bird but works great for short hauls as well, particularly in Asia there's a lot of capacity for three hour hops or shorter. Maybe less of a priority purchase than some of the other good short haul reccomendations on this thread, but it's in my opinion a thoroughly rewarding aircraft to fly and well worth picking up.

• Upvote 1

PUT In the UK.

AMD Ryzen 5 5600x & Radeon RX570 8GB. Prepar3Dv5.3 @1080p

spacer.png

If @Dazkentis interested in a business jet I can recommend the Xtreme Prototypes Lear 25. Very good flight model and great analogue virtual cockpit.

Ceiling is 45,000ft and max speed Mach 0.82. There’s a click spot to start systems with engines running to aid time spent setting things up.

https://www.xtremeprototypes.com

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

3 hours ago, SimeonWilbury said:

Of course most of these recommendations are short-haul but I can't really go into a thread like this without talking up the PMDG 747-400. It's a very easy aircraft to fly despite the depth, loads more automation than your average 737 etc. and PMDG give you additional automation options for certain systems. With FS2Crew the workload goes down even further, it flies like a dream manually as well.

Its more of a long-haul bird but works great for short hauls as well, particularly in Asia there's a lot of capacity for three hour hops or shorter. Maybe less of a priority purchase than some of the other good short haul reccomendations on this thread, but it's in my opinion a thoroughly rewarding aircraft to fly and well worth picking up.

You forgot to mention that at $140 you need quite deep pockets for this plus another $40  or so for FS2Crew.😒

Intel i7 6700K @4.3. 32gb Gskill 3200 RAM. Z170x Gigabyte m/b. 28" LG HD monitor. Win 10 Home. 500g Samsung 960 as Windows home. 1 Gb Mushkin SSD for P3D. GTX 1080 8gb.

Anything but the aerosoft crj or a330

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

14ppkc-6.png

2 hours ago, IanHarrison said:

You forgot to mention that at $140 you need quite deep pockets for this plus another $40  or so for FS2Crew.😒

Yes, I am aware, hence why I suggested it might be lower priority than some of the others suggested here.

I do say that having owned it for 4 years though, and having gotten the all-access FS2Crew package on sale for about 40 Euros on Simmarket, so I consider to have gotten my own value for money at least.

So it's a personal recommendation basically, I understand it's probably too pricey for some, but I love it too much not to talk it up.

Edited by SimeonWilbury
  • Like 1

PUT In the UK.

spacer.png

11 hours ago, Rogen said:

Fav planes for P3D... there's so many of them.

I too enjoy the not too complex ones but don't mind the odd reasonably complex.

• The QW 146 and 757 should be on anyone's buy list as they are so cheap and nice to fly as well, plus there's a PBR mod package for the 757.
  • A2A are the greatest of GA models.
  • Carenado and Ababeo make some nice looking aircraft, check the support forum here first as there is in general a mod/s is available to improve the particular aircraft.
  • Milviz have reduced their prices by 50% and theirs are some pretty nice planes.
  • Ant's Aeroplanes have some quite complex yet very easy and fun to fly at very cheap prices, all based on planes he has personal access to.
  • You can hop on over to Orbx and download all of Aeroplane Heaven's P3D fleet, there are a few nice ones in there and they are free.
  • India Fox Echo has also made their fleet free, jet fighters and jet trainers.
  • There's the OZx - GooseHD
  • And the Manfred Jan C47 which it really good, the copilot sings a song of lament and there is a bit of flirtatious banter between the pilots and stewardess.

There's many more though.

Cheers

Does the QW757 work ok in the latest version of P3D?
The P3D support forum for V5 is locked until you buy and register.

Thanks,

Mark

Dazkent - plenty of suggestions so far. Could I perhaps address some other points. If you have simmed predominantly or mostly in GA styled aircraft, turboprop or pistons you will have a lot of exposure to the general layout and basically analoque cockpits (old dials and wheels so to speak). A more modern turboprop of course will have some automations and glass cockpit or EFIS systems. Overall though the speed and performance is generally all about the same (that is not over 250knots and benign handling characteristics). Once you shift past the old 5700 kg class (GA) to transport class of aeroplane everything changes. TKOF speeds, Landing Speeds, Approach Speeds, configurations etc etc. They are still aeroplanes but they demand a different technique (in the sim and for real). What increases exponentially however is systems complexity, you now have pressurisation, complex hydraulics, multiple electrical systems (AC and DC) not to mention autoflight, autopilots and then on top of that the glass cockpit of automated systems that control most of this. Basically your going to be going a lot faster with a lot more to do in a short space of time. The major limitation with all sim models is very simple no matter how beautifully recreated from the real thing - its you and your on your own - all airliners are and were designer to be flown by 2 or 3 man crews with one person doing one thing while you do something else, that is Pilot Flying or Pilot Not Flying, 

So a good model to start with is one where a lot of this stuff is done for you either automatically or by design you will become frustrated very quickly with something that is basically study level that is you need to know the aeroplane and its systems backwards and your way around the VC just as well, I would not put anything by PMDG or similar in that class sure later on go for it. 

Personally I would recommend a good simple bizjet like the Carenado XP800 which has all the modern goodies but simple systems and they also have good online video tutorials for the model to get you up to speed on what does what and how! They are very good. The other thing is that an aeroplane like that will give you a taste for how quickly stuff can happen in a jet but you can quite easily fly them as a single pilot or simmer so to speak.

By all means go for something like the Dash 8 Q400 or some of the others, after all there is always CTL+E to get you going, 

Just my two bobs worth!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, SimeonWilbury said:

Yes, I am aware, hence why I suggested it might be lower priority than some of the others suggested here.

I do say that having owned it for 4 years though, and having gotten the all-access FS2Crew package on sale for about 40 Euros on Simmarket, so I consider to have gotten my own value for money at least.

So it's a personal recommendation basically, I understand it's probably too pricey for some, but I love it too much not to talk it up.

Just to clarify, I have the 747 as well. With FS2Crew and fly that exclusively.

(Gotten? I thought you are British😁)

Intel i7 6700K @4.3. 32gb Gskill 3200 RAM. Z170x Gigabyte m/b. 28" LG HD monitor. Win 10 Home. 500g Samsung 960 as Windows home. 1 Gb Mushkin SSD for P3D. GTX 1080 8gb.

I strongly disagree recommending non study level aircraft to a beginner, especially for the A320.

The Aerosoft Airbus has lots of inaccuracies, guesswork and it is partially unpredictable. This is NOT what you want as a beginner, because it can make you insecure if something doesn't work as intended. Is it the plane or is it your fault...

A study level aircraft like the FSL A320 has besides it's deep systems accuracy one big advantage : It does in all phases of flight exactly what Airbus has intended the A320 to do. That is exactly what you need as a beginner, and for a routine flight from A to B it is very easy to learn.  On top of that it is the most immersive package every made for a complete flight experience from gate to gate. If you have once bitten into it, and there are a lot of Youtube tutorials (e.g. those By Blackbox711) available to guide you, there's plenty of room for learning and refining for years !

Edited by 320Driver
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, newtie said:

Does the QW757 work ok in the latest version of P3D?
The P3D support forum for V5 is locked until you buy and register.

Thanks,

Mark

Yes it does.

The QW P3D v5 forums for the 757 and 146 are locked and empty anyway, even once logged in.

There is mention from one of the dev crew they had the 757 almost ready for P3D v5 but then they went quiet.

In anycase the installer allows you to pick the install path so no drama about getting it into P3Dv5.

However the dispatcher tool kit for loadout and liveries doesn't know about P3D v5 so you need to place a registry key as a workaround.

I've used P3D v3 as a pointer to P3D v5 simply because I have both 4 & 5 but not 3, and if you've only v5 you could dummy up a v4 key.

The key in my instance allows me to switch within the dispatcher from P3d v4 to P3D v3 - with the P3D v3 instance actually pointing to P3D v5.

Just copy the spolier contents out into a text file, update the paths for your P3D v5, and/or make the key a P3D v4 version, being sure to rename the .txt to .reg so Windows will be able to add to the registry.

Spoiler

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v3]
"AppPath"="H:\\Lockheed Martin\\Prepar3D v5"
"SimConnect_Port_IPv6"="0"
"SimConnect_Port_IPv4"="0"
"SetupPath"="H:\\Lockheed Martin\\Prepar3D v5"
"Installed"=dword:00000001
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v3]
"AppPath"="H:\\Lockheed Martin\\Prepar3D v5"
"SimConnect_Port_IPv6"="0"
"SimConnect_Port_IPv4"="0"
"SetupPath"="H:\\Lockheed Martin\\Prepar3D v5"
"Installed"=dword:00000001

And just to close out here are a couple of pics from P3D v5.

?imw=5000&imh=5000&ima=fit&impolicy=Lett

Ryzen 5800X clocked to 4.7 Ghz (SMT off), 32 GB ram, Samsung 1 x 1 TB NVMe 970, 2 x 1 TB SSD 850 Pro raided, Asus Tuf 3080Ti

1 minute ago, rmeier said:

I noticed that no one has (yet) suggested the new iFly 737 for P3D v5.

The OP is on v4.5, but hey yes the iFly is a great plane and can be bought for both v4 & v5. ✈️

Cheers

9 hours ago, IanHarrison said:

(Gotten? I thought you are British😁)

Now you mention it, maybe I've been browsing too much on the American parts of the internet for my own good!

PUT In the UK.

spacer.png