Sign in to follow this  
HiFlyer

Scientists can reverse aging in mice.

The goal is to do the same for humans....

Ahem! Usually, at about this juncture somebody steps up to mention that they don't want to live forever..... (gods plan, etc)

Which I usually point out is an opinion that will naturally take care of itself..... 🤔

220527142801-reverse-aging-life-itself-s

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

It seems you have an agenda with the arrogance of your post so ill bite first.

I don’t want to live forever, why the hell would someone want to live on this planet longer than than their natural body would allow?

Do you want to live longer? If you do? Why? 

• Upvote 1

FAA: ATP-ME

Matt kubanda

42 minutes ago, ahsmatt7 said:

I wouldn’t mind living longer as long as I was in good health, mobile, able to travel and enjoy myself. That being said, I wouldn’t want to live an extended amount of time if my body couldn’t keep up with what my mind wanted to do. Then again, since I’m not that old, maybe when people are in their latter years, they get to the point that they don’t have the desire to live longer. 

If I could remain in the state of mind and body that I’m in now, I wouldn’t mind extending this time period of my life.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

4 hours ago, ahsmatt7 said:

Well, first we'll go with the more frivolous reason. I want to see a Starship!

Secondly, there's the old meme, too soon old, too late wise. I think for many people, just when you learn exactly who you really are, what the world really is, and what you really might I want, after a lifetime of establishing yourself, it's about time to check out.

Thirdly, I can think of family members who in my mind still deserve to be here, maybe some who deserve to be here more than me, but their ability to spread more care and love in this world was cut short by the vagaries of time, sometimes after being trapped in failing bodies for years.

Fourth, none of us live our so-called natural span anymore. Once Upon a time that was maybe 40 or 50 years, but due to science and medicine, our life span is already trending towards a hundred and more. If we were actually married to our natural spans, we would probably have to do like Logan's Run and check ourselves out manually, or, just to stay logically consistent, decline life-extending medical treatments like dialysis, excetera....

There might be people who feel that way, but as I said before, that decision is very darwinian in that the result would eventually and inevitably be a world of people who did not object to having their lives extended, as those who objected would be, in effect, voluntarily removing themselves from the conversation with the passage of time.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

4 hours ago, ahsmatt7 said:

Sure i do! To learn more and more and more and more; of life, of playing guitar, of love, of turning bad into good, of who we really, really are and what we can achieve with that ultimately.

Edited by Wildblue
  • Like 3

MSI MPG Z490 Gaming Plus | Intel Core i9-10900K @ 5.3GHz | 64GB Corsair Vengeance | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3090 | 500 GB M.2 NVMe for win | 2TB M.2 NVMe for FS2020 | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo | Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog

Eric from EHAM, a flying Dutchman.

When you are born there are two numbers attached to your name. The date you will die and your lowest golf handicap. And there is nothing you can to to change either of them.

• Upvote 1

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

I would prefer to be in spirit form than being in the current organic form. 

• Like 2

Interesting and man has always sought immortality.  In looking at the world around me, I have decided that immortality in the physical sense is not my preference.

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

5 hours ago, ahsmatt7 said:

Of course! Why would anyone want non-existence. Just think of the things you could experience, mankind's journey to the stars and the incredible discoveries that would entail, mankind's civilisation evolving to be less violent and more altruistic, mankind caring for its environment and becoming the custodians of the planet - now some will say the aforementioned is unlikely but I would say its inevitable if we survive because we won't survive if we don't, so the entire concept of long term lifespans or living forever becomes mute - incredible technology like nanotechnology and the capability to manipulate matter on the atomic scale, perhaps the human race becoming a Kardashev type one or two civilisation, or beyond. Who wouldn't t want to experience and witness such incredible things. And imagine the wisdom you would amass with an extended lifespan, or immortality. 

Of course, "living forever" is probably impossible, as accidents do happen, and the universe as we know it has a limited existence in its present, life-giving form. What we are really talking about in terms of anti-aging tech is longer, healthier  lifespans.

There is another, more philosophical aspect to this question... we are part of the universe, so higher lifeforms are an example of the universe becoming conscious, aware of its own existence, thus, life is special, important, and should be extended and preserved where ever possible. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, cmpbellsjc said:

If I could remain in the state of mind and body that I’m in now, I wouldn’t mind extending this time period of my life.

The two come together. We are close to combating the deleterious effects of aging now. So with a longer lifespan the technology would be present to treat or avoid the  adverse effects of aging. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, W2DR said:

When you are born there are two numbers attached to your name. The date you will die and your lowest golf handicap. And there is nothing you can to to change either of them.

I'll assume you are serious about the longevity aspect for sake of argument.   Biologically, genetically not true. 

Edited by martin-w
  • Like 1

I think my wish to live longer is driven, at least 50%, by scientific curiosity. For instance, I wish I could live long enough to know whether or not there is life on Europa.

Edited by dmwalker
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Dugald Walker

I would like to live longer for the following reasons....

• See Comet Halley at its 2134 apparition (it will come close to Earth)
  • See seven total solar eclipses from the UK between 2133 and 2200
  • Enjoy a package holiday to Alpha Centauri
  • Have half a chance of understanding women
  • Like 2

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

4 hours ago, martin-w said:

I'll assume you are serious about the longevity aspect for sake of argument.   Biologically, genetically not true. 

I Shirley am serious. Both the future biologic and genetic advancement is accounted for at birth. Disbeliever......

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.