Sign in to follow this  
Glenn Fitzpatrick

Kodiak Patch

For me it seems that You must enable MSFS2020's "Engine stress and damage" setting for hotstarts to work.

I have raised a ticket under SWS's customer support to be sure that this is necessary.

System: i7-10700K, 32GB RAM, RTX2070S 8GB, 1TB SSD, 2 TB HDD, Win10 64bit Home

2 hours ago, bluescast said:

Just Flight has the update available. 

But it's Sunday!

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

3 hours ago, Wothan said:

For me it seems that You must enable MSFS2020's "Engine stress and damage" setting for hotstarts to work.

I have raised a ticket under SWS's customer support to be sure that this is necessary.

Thanks. And please let us know when you get a reply. 

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

“Intensify the forward batteries. I don’t want anything to get through”

On 6/4/2022 at 2:32 PM, Bobsk8 said:

My guess is Austin is staying awake nights trying to figure out what to do next. 

My guess is that he's flying around in his pressurized, custom Lancair Turbo Prop with 850shp, wondering about where he should invest his money!  😁

Even if X-Plane did not sell a further copy, I don't think Austin will be shaking a jar for loose change outside the mall.

I love MSFS and it's my main sim.  But there are things I miss from X-Plane (cameras, some avionics, the wider current ability of 3rd party devs to work custom magic within the XP ecosystem, etc).   Of course the scenery in XP12 will not be able to hold a candle to MSFS but, for at least some, scenery is not everything.  I will definitely be buying XP12 and will enjoy the things I prefer in it over MSFS, while also enjoying the things I prefer in MSFS.

I'll probably invest 70% in MSFS addons and 30% in XP12 addons, for sure.   But as simmers, we're not tied to only one sim - unless we choose to be.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Bill

UK LAPL-A (Formerly NPPL-A and -M)

39 minutes ago, Waldo Pepper said:

"Installer_SWS_Kodiak_Wheels_MSFS_20220605" dropped today at SimMarket.  6/6/22

thanks, I think the Flysimware 414 is supposed to get an update pretty quick, maybe today. 

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700F CPU @ 2.90GHz (8 cores) Hyper on, Evga RTX 3060 12 Gig, 32 GB ram, Windows 11, P3D v6, and MSFS 2020 and a couple of SSD's

On 6/5/2022 at 2:27 AM, Cpt_Piett said:

Hm. I can't seem to simulate a hot engine start.

I doubt OAT is relevant. Hot Starts are situation where the ITT exceeds safe limits. This occur when there is insufficient airflow through the combustion chamber to keep the ITT temps down to a safe limit.

Hot Starts will ground the aircraft until a Hot Start inspection which will cost tens of thousands.

Typical causes:

• accidently introducing fuel too early before Ng is at a safe level
  • blocked/restricted air intake into the PC6
  • low starting voltages
  • accidently leaving ignition OFF in a LO start until after fuel has already been introduced
  • faulty/worn starter motor

I am not sure which particular hot start conditions other than the obvious "introduce fuel to early" are actually modelled in this Kodiak.

https://flycasey.com/avoiding-a-hot-start/

Edited by Glenn Fitzpatrick

6 hours ago, Glenn Fitzpatrick said:

I doubt OAT is relevant. Hot Starts are situation where the ITT exceeds safe limits. This occur when there is insufficient airflow through the combustion chamber to keep the ITT temps down to a safe limit.

Hot Starts will ground the aircraft until a Hot Start inspection which will cost tens of thousands.

Typical causes:

• accidently introducing fuel too early before Ng is at a safe level
  • blocked/restricted air intake into the PC6
  • low starting voltages
  • accidently leaving ignition OFF in a LO start until after fuel has already been introduced
  • faulty/worn starter motor

I am not sure which particular hot start conditions other than the obvious "introduce fuel to early" are actually modelled in this Kodiak.

https://flycasey.com/avoiding-a-hot-start/

Ok, I didn't know this. Thanks!

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

Finally managed to log in!

Short answers:

• PC-12NG: we will use the G3000 internally until we have the Apex done
  • B-52: Yes, the Big Ugly Fat Fellow -or isn't it? We're taking our sweet time with this, we want to do it as good as we can
  • Kodiak:
    • Engine damage must be on to do hot starts/wear
    • To reset a damage situation you must exit to main menu and start a new flight. We're looking into it to see if we can make it just with a restart
    • A hot start can currently be achieved by introducing fuel too early or fuel pooling into the engine with the ignition off. Starter wear, voltages and blockages aren't accounted for.
    • Starter failures are simulated. After 1000h chances of failure increase significantly. At 1500 your starter will fail to start the engine (artificial hard limit).

10 minutes ago, A320_SX ALX said:
  • Kodiak:
    •  

Not a fan of this as this means you have to selectively reactivate the engine damage in the MSFS menu specifically for the Kodiak (because other third party aircrafts that have engine damage typically want it off in the sim setting as they use a custom system).

Better to do it via an option toggle in the aircraft itself.

36 minutes ago, A320_SX ALX said:

Kodiak:

• To reset a damage situation you must exit to main menu and start a new flight. We're looking into it to see if we can make it just with a restart
  • A hot start can currently be achieved by introducing fuel too early or fuel pooling into the engine with the ignition off. Starter wear, voltages and blockages aren't accounted for.
  • Starter failures are simulated. After 1000h chances of failure increase significantly. At 1500 your starter will fail to start the engine (artificial hard limit).

Thanks for the info!

I have "engine stress damage" on, but probably couldn't simulate a hot start due to what @Glenn Fitzpatrick was saying. 

Another thing I haven't been able to do is connect external power. It has not been available from the ATC menu at the airports I've been at recently. I've been in touch with the developer on Discord during the last few days, and apparently it should work... 

This was the answer from Alex Vletsas at SRS: 

"External power can be requested from ATC. The red battery switch also controls external power application."

EDIT: I was just able to simulate a hot start successfully by introducing fuel early. 

Edited by Cpt_Piett

Although a fan of the SWS Kodiak (until now) I am quite irritated by these "damage"-additions. I never liked damage-simulations and would not buy an addon that makes my life troublesome while flying.

And that there is no documentation for how the damages occur or happen and how they can be disabled.

So my question: Can the damage functions be disabled anyhow?

Just now, PTI139 said:

So my question: Can the damage functions be disabled anyhow?

Switching engine damage off should remove any hot starts / wear. Wouldn't be my favourite way for this to be controlled as would prefer an in-plane setting but if you don't like damage simulation at all you can just switch this off in the MSFS settings and should be good to go.