Sign in to follow this  
warbirds

PMS50 GTN or ?

Been trying out the free version of this and not sure, is there any other, better software free or pay? Also in the free version in the flightplan menu "import" is grayed out - so can you import plans in the paid version?

Paul Grubich 2017 - Professional texture artist painting virtual aircraft I love.
Be sure to check out my aged cockpits for the A2A B-377, B-17 and Connie at Flightsim.com and Avsim library

i-5vbvgq6-S.png

Yes, flightplan import only with premium version. Check the differences between the free and premium versions here: https://pms50.com/msfs/

Edited by Alvega

Alvega

CPU: AMD 7800X3D | COOLER: Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240L Core ARGB | GPU: RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB OC | Mobo: ASUS TUF GAMING X670E-PLUS WIFI |
RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR5 6000MHz PC5-48000 2x16GB CL36 | SSDs: WD Black SN770 2TB NVMe SSD (WIN11), WD Black SN850X SSD 2 TB M.2 2280 PCIe Gen4 NVMe (MSFS), Crucial MX500 2TB (Other stuff) | CASE: Forgeon Arcanite ARGB Mesh Tower ATX White | Power Supply: Forgeon Bolt PSU 850W 80+ Gold Full Modular White 

Better pay... TDS GTN750Xi

Edited by Bert Pieke
  • Like 5
  • Upvote 1

Bert

I made a quick study recently to purchase a GPS, please find below a quick high level synthesis of what I have found.

First, the developers who sell GPS for FSX/P3D, namely Flight1 and Reality XP, do not have any offer for MSFS.

Second, there is an alternative to PMS50, which is TDS Sim: https://tdssim.com

PMS50

• Model simulated: GTN750
  • Development: from scratch
  • Degree of fidelity: not all the features of the real Garmin are currently present
  • Free version: YES but with only 'basic' features'
  • Database: 'regularly' updated as I understand
  • Aircrafts ready for virtual cockpit integration: https://pms50.com/msfs/aircrafts/
  • Impact on FPS: normally rather marginal
  • Pricing: One year – 25.00€,  Lifetime – 75.00€

TDS Sim

• Model simulated: GTN 750Xi and GTN 650Xi (high-resolution display, vivid colours, and additional features compared to the GTN750).The GTNXi is an evolution to the GTN GPS.
  • Development: based on the Garmin Trainer that needs to be installed
  • Degree of fidelity: the features of the real Garmin are supposed to be present, even the enhanced features of the real Xi version (eg. glide prediction)
  • Free version: NO
  • Database: dependant from Garmin Trainer (one update every couple of years as I understand)
  • Aircrafts ready for virtual cockpit integration: https://tdssim.com/gtnxivcintegration
  • Impact on FPS: normally rather marginal
  • Pricing: €59,94 EUR (Both 750 and 650 models are included in the same package)

That's all I can think of. If I made a mistake or missed a key information, other mates will be able to add or comment.

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

- TONY -

I prefer the TDS GTN Xi - works like the RXP/Flight1 version we had back in FSX/P3D but with more upgrades.

Everything looks like the real one - this is the strong point of it.  You don't have to insert a flight plan to shoot an approach etc.

Downsides (upside of the PMS premium) is the navdata is not easy to update.  Stuck with whatever the Garmin trainer uses (or if you have a Garmin/Jepp subsciption).  No charts outside of North America.  No metar (yet).  Aside from those 3 limits, it works identical to the real GTN Xi trainer.... which you can download for free and check out. 

You pay 50 EUR one time for TDS.

PMS 50 Premium allows you to enter airways like you would in real world, among other things.  It also gives you ability to display charts (but only IF you have a Navigraph ultimate sub - about 75 EUR /year).  And the PMS Premium costs about 75 EUR for a one time purchase.  It also does metar.

You pay 75 EUR one time for PMS 50 premium PLUS 75 EUR per Year every year if you need charts for the world.

I've flown with the GTN and GNS irl so for me TDS is a no brainer for me.  I also fly mostly in the US however.  And I don't use charts in the tiny GTN screen on either PMS or TDS - I just pull them with my second monitor - free in the USA.  If you predominantly fly outside of the USA and having charts is extremely important then maybe try the PMS Premium - but it will cost you.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

12 minutes ago, Bert Pieke said:

Better pay... TDS GTN750Xi

Working (and integrated) flawlessly on @simbol's little gem, intercepting the LOC perfectly.  Love it on the 414 as well (dual displays) 🙂

GjP0wN.png

• Like 2

Regards,
Steve Dra
Get my paints for MSFS planes at flightsim.to here, and iFly 737s here
Download my FSX, P3D paints at Avsim by clicking here

9Slp0L.jpg 

32 minutes ago, Simicro said:

Development: based on the Garmin Trainer that needs to be installed

This is handled by the TDS installer.. not a concern.

To me, the fact that this GTN operates exactly like the real unit makes it my clear favorite.

I have it installed in my RV14, C414, C310, C337, M20 Mooney, Turbo Arrow, and Seminole..

If you are a fan of the convoluted Asobo flight planning/management system, the PMS unit is your best bet.

Edited by Bert Pieke
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Bert

5 minutes ago, Bert Pieke said:

Agree. I mentioned it just for information only as the main TDS software is not quite standalone (contrary to the PMS).

5 minutes ago, Bert Pieke said:

I have it installed in my RV14, C414, C310, C337, M20 Mooney, and Seminole..

Milviz C310, JF Piper Warrior and Carenado Mooney for me. C337 next month 😉 

• Like 1

- TONY -

Ok, thanks for the great replies. Question : if I use an aircraft that does not have gtn (old or vintage aircraft) I assume there will be a stand alone gtn screen to use. Now, which one will integrate with a vintage auto pilot and using the MSFS flight planner ?

Paul Grubich 2017 - Professional texture artist painting virtual aircraft I love.
Be sure to check out my aged cockpits for the A2A B-377, B-17 and Connie at Flightsim.com and Avsim library

i-5vbvgq6-S.png

11 minutes ago, warbirds said:

Ok, thanks for the great replies. Question : if I use an aircraft that does not have gtn (old or vintage aircraft) I assume there will be a stand alone gtn screen to use. Now, which one will integrate with a vintage auto pilot and using the MSFS flight planner ?

The PMS (free) unit is all you need for that.

• Like 1

Bert

2 hours ago, Simicro said:

I made a quick study recently to purchase a GPS, please find below a quick high level synthesis of what I have found.

First, the developers who sell GPS for FSX/P3D, namely Flight1 and Reality XP, do not have any offer for MSFS.

Second, there is an alternative to PMS50, which is TDS Sim: https://tdssim.com

PMS50

• Model simulated: GTN750
  • Development: from scratch
  • Degree of fidelity: not all the features of the real Garmin are currently present
  • Free version: YES but with only 'basic' features'
  • Database: 'regularly' updated as I understand
  • Aircrafts ready for virtual cockpit integration: https://pms50.com/msfs/aircrafts/
  • Impact on FPS: normally rather marginal
  • Pricing: One year – 25.00€,  Lifetime – 75.00€

TDS Sim

• Model simulated: GTN 750Xi and GTN 650Xi (high-resolution display, vivid colours, and additional features compared to the GTN750).The GTNXi is an evolution to the GTN GPS.
  • Development: based on the Garmin Trainer that needs to be installed
  • Degree of fidelity: the features of the real Garmin are supposed to be present, even the enhanced features of the real Xi version (eg. glide prediction)
  • Free version: NO
  • Database: dependant from Garmin Trainer (one update every couple of years as I understand)
  • Aircrafts ready for virtual cockpit integration: https://tdssim.com/gtnxivcintegration
  • Impact on FPS: normally rather marginal
  • Pricing: €59,94 EUR (Both 750 and 650 models are included in the same package)

That's all I can think of. If I made a mistake or missed a key information, other mates will be able to add or comment.

The PMS GTN50 simulated models are also the 750 AND 650, not just the 750.

2 more things, the PMS has weather radar, the TDS doesn't. The PMS can import default MSFS flighplans, the TDS can't because it uses a different format for flightplans (gfp).

• Upvote 3

Alvega

CPU: AMD 7800X3D | COOLER: Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240L Core ARGB | GPU: RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB OC | Mobo: ASUS TUF GAMING X670E-PLUS WIFI |
RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR5 6000MHz PC5-48000 2x16GB CL36 | SSDs: WD Black SN770 2TB NVMe SSD (WIN11), WD Black SN850X SSD 2 TB M.2 2280 PCIe Gen4 NVMe (MSFS), Crucial MX500 2TB (Other stuff) | CASE: Forgeon Arcanite ARGB Mesh Tower ATX White | Power Supply: Forgeon Bolt PSU 850W 80+ Gold Full Modular White 

On 6/4/2022 at 11:54 AM, ryanbatc said:

I prefer the TDS GTN Xi - works like the RXP/Flight1 version we had back in FSX/P3D but with more upgrades.

Everything looks like the real one - this is the strong point of it.  You don't have to insert a flight plan to shoot an approach etc.

Downsides (upside of the PMS premium) is the navdata is not easy to update.  Stuck with whatever the Garmin trainer uses (or if you have a Garmin/Jepp subsciption).  No charts outside of North America.  No metar (yet).  Aside from those 3 limits, it works identical to the real GTN Xi trainer.... which you can download for free and check out. 

You pay 50 EUR one time for TDS.

PMS 50 Premium allows you to enter airways like you would in real world, among other things.  It also gives you ability to display charts (but only IF you have a Navigraph ultimate sub - about 75 EUR /year).  And the PMS Premium costs about 75 EUR for a one time purchase.  It also does metar.

You pay 75 EUR one time for PMS 50 premium PLUS 75 EUR per Year every year if you need charts for the world.

I've flown with the GTN and GNS irl so for me TDS is a no brainer for me.  I also fly mostly in the US however.  And I don't use charts in the tiny GTN screen on either PMS or TDS - I just pull them with my second monitor - free in the USA.  If you predominantly fly outside of the USA and having charts is extremely important then maybe try the PMS Premium - but it will cost you.

The way I understand it,  the default MSFS flight planner and autopilot module does require you to insert an origin and destination in order to shoot an approach.   

The Working Title G1000 NXi from the marketplace does not use the default flight planner or autopilot module,  and it doesn't have that issue.

The PMS GTN 750 uses the sim's default flight planner and autopilot module by default.   However, in aircraft where the aircraft dev supports the GTN it functions in "Working Title Technology Mode".    The GTN can also use WTT mode whenever PMS releases "packages" for individual aircraft.

You can use the GTN750 in different ways:

• In-cockpit: The aircraft has the GTN750 directly available in the cockpit with its own bezel. The aircraft uses the Asobo stock flight plan manager and autopilot module.
  • In-cockpit WTT Mode: The aircraft has the GTN750 directly available in the cockpit with its own bezel. The aircraft uses the Working Title Technology (WTT) to manage the autopilot and the flight plan. You will get more features. This may require a specific extra package. Any other GPS in the cockpit is disabled in this mode.
  • G1000 MFD replacement: the GTN750 is displayed in the G1000 MFD bezel. The aircraft uses the Asobo stock flight plan manager and autopilot module. This requires a specific extra package. if you have installed the WT G1000 Nxi package, don’t use this mode (and do not install the extra package). The G1000 replacement mode is only compatible with the stock Asobo G1000.

In addition to these modes, you can use The GTN750 panel version with nearly any MSFS aircraft.
If your aircraft is not referenced here, please contact us.

On the PMS site,  "WTT mode" packages are available for,

Carenado  PA44 Seminole / PA34T Seneca / PA28R Arrow III /  M20R Ovation / Cessna Skymaster

MilViz 310r,   GotFriends Edgley Optica,  Next Gen Simulationss EMB-110

In their Discord thread they have posted packages for,

FlySimWare Cessna 414AW Chancellor

The Hype H145 has WTT support out of the box.   The FSReborn Sting S4 has WTT support out of the box.

There may be others that I'm unware of.

At least that's my understanding.

The PMS50 GTN 750 gets better with every update to accommodate the communities needs.  Updates are frequent and often.

sp

• Upvote 1

I only have the PMS50 premium version. Had it since early release and have always loved it. Have that with Navigraph, Pilot2ATC and a bunch of other mods. Several of the aircraft also have working title technology built in as well. So, there's also something to think about. I really appreciate using my navigraph in flights with the charts.

• Upvote 2

Hero X--8086k@5.1ghz--32GBddr4--2080ti--Acer GSync 4k Monitor + 1080p Monitor--Honeycomb Alpha/Bravo+Saitek Pedals--Thrustmaster T16000+Throttle. P2ATC, AIG/FSLTL, GSX, 600gb of scenery, PMS/TDI 750, Auto FPS, FG Mod, FSrealistic, FScrewRAAS,RexTextures/Seasons,Navigraph etc

A2A Comanche---Bae146, F28, Arrow(s), BS Bonanza & BS King Air---FSR500--COWS DA42---Fx HJet+VisionJet---FSW 414 +LearJet---FSS E175+P2006T+Analog Version---Fenix 320-------PMDG DC-6+737+9---C22J---Milviz C310+Porter---SWS PC-12, Kodiak, Zenith+RV14---Big Radialsl Goose---IFE MB339+F-35---NextGen EMB----Carenado Seneca + PC12---AS CRJ Series----Asobo ATR---