Sign in to follow this  
chapstick

It's been half a year since 5.3 came out

2 hours ago, Patco Lch said:

I really believe that P3d will produce something ASTONISHING in its next big release. 

It may be, however, more challenging than that. Even if LM decides to invest heavily in P3D -- and I am not sure what the business case for that would be, as their reason for being is to provide a platform for training simulation for military and corporate customers -- and produce a visual result similar to MSFS in terms of depiction of the world, lighting, etc., what would draw people, and consequently developers, back? It seems to me they would need to offer much more than MSFS at a comparable price, otherwise why would former customers of P3D who have migrated to MSFS, purchased scenery and add-on aircraft that they are basically happy with, become used to the strengths and weaknesses and quirks MSFS, return, if all LM is offering is basically the same thing? Especially, as it would be highly likely that they would need to purchase many add-ons yet again for LM's new version.

Edited by Cognita
  • Like 1

Dan Scott

11 hours ago, micstatic said:

Would the devs even show back up to update their wares?  Going to guess no. 

And I also don´t want to update hundreds of addons once again. It was huge work from v3 to v4 to v5 for us users too. At least the sim is fluent like never before and this at a much higher level of detail.

I hope some companies like TOGA enhance the look of the sim further.

• Like 1

OS=WIN11 Home, Sim=P3D5 5.4 (P3D4 and FSX for install reasons)
Addons=ORBX, ASCA, AS, TOGA and tons of sceneries, aircraft

MB=Gigabyte AORUS Z790 Elite AX, CPU=i13900K, Cooling=Be quiet! Pure Loop II FX
GPU=KFA2 RTX3090 24 GB, RAM=64 GB DDR5-5600, HOTAS=Logitech G Saitek X52 Pro

Visit my website for fixes and addons: https://sites.google.com/view/dans-p3d-mods

2 hours ago, Cognita said:

if all LM is offering is basically the same thing?

There are still fields where P3D holds significant advantages over MSFS.

• Like 2

Best regards, Dimitrios

7950X - 32 GB - RX6800 - TrackIR - Power-LC M39 WQHD - Honeycomb Alpha yoke, Saitek pedals & throttles in a crummy home-cockpit - MSFS for Pilotedge, P3D for everything else

15 hours ago, Mo45 said:

I got a feeling, that's the end life for P3d.

Me not having this feeling...

Regards Marcus (P3D Beta Tester)

• Like 7
  • Upvote 2

Regards,

Marcus P.

xaP1VAU.png

8 hours ago, spilok said:

I really believe that P3d will produce something ASTONISHING in its next big release.  Lockheed Martin is no "slouch" of a company.  They have the capability to produce a sim that brings the type of scenery and realism that so many who love MSFS talk about.  I fly both sims, and I still fly P3d much, much more.  I think a surprise is in the very near future.  It will startle the world of flight sim, and it will bring back all the developers who have seemingly given up on the sim. There are things happening behind the scenes of LM and my gut tells me the future will be very bright indeed.

The glass has always been HALF FULL for me, not HALF EMPTY.

Stan

Something a share with you! I also think this is happening indeed. I do NOT have any hard evidence or information from LM about this. 

But my feeling says......IF there will be a V6, then it will be up to date. LM has all the needed data (sat images, OSM etc.) so they should be able to simulate it onto our screens. 

And....they have informed us weeks ago about streaming the sim via Nvidia (a corporation they have with them). THAT should give us hope ...

Marcus

• Upvote 1

Regards,

Marcus P.

xaP1VAU.png

A new version without support from the developers (they abandoned us)... So I'm more interested in a 5.4 version than a new v6. Sad...

PS: everyone talks about MSFS but... have you seen XP12?

• Like 2

12400F - 32GB DDR4 - RTX4070 - 1440p G-Sync UltraWide - Sennheiser GSX 1000 - O11 Air Mini - 1TB NVMe + 2TB SSD - Windows 11 Pro - Prepar3D 5.4

48 minutes ago, Juliet Alpha said:

A new version without support from the developers (they abandoned us)... So I'm more interested in a 5.4 version than a new v6. Sad...

PS: everyone talks about MSFS but... have you seen XP12?

The devs would only start developing for P3D, when there is enough (additional) revenue (with margin) to get. If not...they won't return. At least as I see this for the most of the devs. There are always exceptions......

So if Version X has enough to offer to get enough users back....then there is a chance. 

Imagine high quality satellite streaming or even using UE5? With fully implemented Truesky.....that would be a huge huge step forward....

But that's just a wish.....and probably stays that as well

• Like 1

Regards,

Marcus P.

xaP1VAU.png

I'm not even sure I know what I want anymore.  I think that 3 sims is too many for our developers to support.  I feel like 2 is a better number.  But a p3d with streaming scenery/UE5 is appealing to say the least.  

• Like 1

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

Happy with 5.2. Will be happy with 5.2 if I live forever along with the ageless mice @fielder Hanger Chat thread. 95% happy, anyway. Would be 100% happy if Just Flight actually released their 747. Guess it depends on what you're looking for.

• Like 1

I don't think P3D is dead although unfortunately addon developers may decide not to continue developing for it. I hope that LM might know this and perhaps implement a way to ensure backward compatibility with addons designed for V4.5+ or V5+ to ensure the eco-system isn't lost. This would incentivize developers to continue providing addons for the platform given minimal work required to support future versions. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Tim_Capps said:

Happy with 5.2. Will be happy with 5.2 if I live forever along with the ageless mice @fielder Hanger Chat thread. 95% happy, anyway. Would be 100% happy if Just Flight actually released their 747. Guess it depends on what you're looking for.

I’ve been waiting for that 747 too! I emailed JF a while back and they claimed it was still happening but the team was busy…

I actually got sick of waiting and bought the JF 747 classic for P3D v3 - now that’s old school!. 🙂

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

Where's Rob?  He seems to always know what's going on with P3d?

• Like 2

I Earned My Spurs in Vietnam

For me personally my decision making is determined by what aircraft are available for my preferred sim. With FSL Concorde coming to v5 in a few months that will cement me to P3D. I currently have the PMDG 737-800 NGXu, Xtreme Prototypes Lear 25, Vertx DA62 and Carenado PC12. All are compatible with v5.

If a v6 should appear I would expect most to be made compatible with some tweaking but nothing huge. The DA62 was designed for v4 but is fine in v5 so should be for v6.

I’m quite happy to fly into / out of default airports. With the huge number of AIG Ai I have installed there are always other aircraft there. Those bring an airport to life for me. There’s no difference between taxiways and runways for 3rd party and default airports and the new world scenery makes v5 very acceptable.

I don’t know how much LM can change P3D to keep to the agreement with Microsoft. If satellite imagery becomes a possibility that would put it ahead of MSFS for me because it’s a far more mature sim and SDK. Historical weather would be possible via AS and if it was necessary to accept forced updates for version matching I could live with that.

But it all depends on what LM are allowed to do.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

satellite scenery and lighting update (to include night lighting) and I feel pendulum swings back to p3d.  But I agree with your Ray.  I'm not sure how much room LM has contractually to go after that.  

• Upvote 2

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

To my understanding, one of the challenges of developing for P3D is the testing loop where you have to close/restart P3D to see changes. I think if they improved that and did some other things to streamline development, it would benefit all their customers (big and small alike) and help encourage devs to continue supporting multiple platforms.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1