Sign in to follow this  
chapstick

It's been half a year since 5.3 came out

10 hours ago, Seat* said:

I use P3D 5.3. I open MSFS sometimes, but I get bored pretty quickly. The scenery is overwhelming. Overall though, MSFS is a game, a toy and P3D a flight simulator with all its flaws. I'm waiting for A2A to come out with their Comanche. When that happens I'm not sure it will change my mind, MSFS is above all a toy to attract children for a little while.

If MSFS really is just a toy, you serious sim guys have absolutely nothing to worry about then. It will not attract any users from the P3D community who are now more positive and friendy than ever, LM will continue to release groundbreaking releases and push the limits for what's possible in a serious sim, and the big 3rd party developers will continue to focus on P3D while letting the kids fly around looking for their house in MSFS.

Oh wait.

Edited by Multisim
  • Like 9
  • Upvote 4

18 minutes ago, Multisim said:

If MSFS really is just a toy, you serious sim guys have absolutely nothing to worry about then. It will not attract any users from the P3D community who are now more positive and friendy than ever, LM will continue to release groundbreaking releases and push the limits for what's possible in a serious sim, and the big 3rd party developers will continue to focus on P3D while letting the kids fly around looking for their house in MSFS.

Oh wait.

Haha, that genuinely made me chuckle. Wonderful response. 

• Like 3

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

A lot of people like good visuals. Others are looking for other aspects - historical weather would be one example. No sim offers all, hence different people use different sims. Everyone has a “best sim“ for their use case. Arguing over that makes no sense and only leads to hostility.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 3

Best regards, Dimitrios

7950X - 32 GB - RX6800 - TrackIR - Power-LC M39 WQHD - Honeycomb Alpha yoke, Saitek pedals & throttles in a crummy home-cockpit - MSFS for Pilotedge, P3D for everything else

5 hours ago, Scottoest said:

I would assume they wind up reading them here for the same reason you and other non-MSFS users end up chiming in on threads there, where calling P3D or XP a "toy for children" would result in a thread derail and a lock in under an hour.  Followed by the obvious point that some people dabble in more than one sim, and thus read more than one subforum.

I give the reasons why I’m not ready to buy MSFS in that forum. I’ve never called it a toy or used any derogatory terms to describe it. And perhaps you missed the extensive help I gave on the DCD Concorde topic on how it should be flown despite not owning either the sim or the aircraft.

Topics are not locked because of a difference of opinion. They’re locked because of bickering and personal insults. I’m required to read the MSFS forum as part of my duties. I’ve always kept my personal views as objective as possible.

Perhaps it would help if users mentioned in their sig which sims they have installed.

• Like 2

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

I wouldn't say that MSFS is a "children's toy" but rather an "entertainment software". Would you agree?

I don't see any problem with that.

Edited by Juliet Alpha
  • Like 1

12400F - 32GB DDR4 - RTX4070 - 1440p G-Sync UltraWide - Sennheiser GSX 1000 - O11 Air Mini - 1TB NVMe + 2TB SSD - Windows 11 Pro - Prepar3D 5.4 and MSFS

1 hour ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

I give the reasons why I’m not ready to buy MSFS in that forum. I’ve never called it a toy or used any derogatory terms to describe it. And perhaps you missed the extensive help I gave on the DCD Concorde topic on how it should be flown despite not owning either the sim or the aircraft.

Topics are not locked because of a difference of opinion. They’re locked because of bickering and personal insults. I’m required to read the MSFS forum as part of my duties. I’ve always kept my personal views as objective as possible.

Perhaps it would help if users mentioned in their sig which sims they have installed.

You missed my point Ray.  I don't mind or care that you don't want to use MSFS, and I know you've never used the dismissive language I mentioned.  My invocation of you was in response to you not understanding why someone from the other subforum would be reading this, when you yourself routinely participate in (not just read) discussions in the MSFS subforum - a sim you don't use.  Which to be clear, I have no issue with whatsoever.

And yes I know why topics are locked down - which again, was my point.  Any mention of P3D or XP being a "toy for children" would bring regulars from those subforums out of the woodwork to argue about it, leading to a derailing of the topic.  It happens all the time over there, precisely because so many P3D and XP users lurk that subforum and leap to action when their platform of choice is defamed in their eyes.  Heck some users of other sims go over there and pick fights for fun never being told, effectively, "why are you even here?"

If someone in the P3D subforum wants to dust off the old sawhorse of MSFS being a "game" or a "toy", that's their prerogative.  But it's not at all surprising that users of that sim might be compelled to respond.  Personally I find all of this community tribalism intensely tedious.

• Like 8

3 hours ago, Juliet Alpha said:

I wouldn't say that MSFS is a "children's toy" but rather an "entertainment software". Would you agree?

I quite agree. All commercial flight sims are entertainment software.

The idea that something is ‘for children’ and therefore inferior in some way is laughable self delusion.

• Like 5

On 6/17/2022 at 3:33 AM, Juliet Alpha said:

-Historical weather.

In the end I ask myself "is it worth abandoning Prepar3D v5.3?" and my answer is "no".

And notice, I wanted MSFS to work out in my case. I think it needs more development and two or three addons... despite the good things that are undeniable, it is still not enough (FROM MY POINT OF VIEW).

Is it still the intention of ASOBO/MS to disallow 3rd party weather addons like Active Sky?

If so, do they intend to at least add historical weather capability to MSFS?

This is one big thing preventing me from using it.  I can't abide flying with only live weather as it's so unrealistic.

Dave

• Like 1

Simulator: P3Dv5.4

System Specs: Intel i7 13700K CPU, MSI Mag Z790 Tomahawk Motherboard, 32GB DDR5 6000MHz RAM, Nvidia GeForce RTX 4070 Video Card, 3x 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 2280 SSDs, Windows 11 Home OS

My invocation of you was in response to you not understanding why someone from the other subforum would be reading this, when you yourself routinely participate in (not just read) discussions in the MSFS subforum - a sim you don't use.  Which to be clear, I have no issue with whatsoever.

I would estimate that 70% of my posts over on the MSFS forum are related to my mod duties and not a personal opinion on something. I’ve not participated in any discussion of any depth for perhaps two months since the historical weather debate.

And yes I know why topics are locked down - which again, was my point.  Any mention of P3D or XP being a "toy for children" would bring regulars from those subforums out of the woodwork to argue about it, leading to a derailing of the topic.  It happens all the time over there, precisely because so many P3D and XP users lurk that subforum and leap to action when their platform of choice is defamed in their eyes.  Heck some users of other sims go over there and pick fights for fun never being told, effectively, "why are you even here?"

It’s human nature I guess. People of all ages (and IQs) post here so there’s bound to be disagreements over what sim is best. The worst place was the XP forum but fortunately that place has calmed down.

Best advice I can offer is to turn the other cheek or move to the next topic. But as you allude to some are incapable which keeps us mods busy. ☹️

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

On 6/17/2022 at 1:18 PM, Sethos said:

Surprised people still peddle that drivel. 

99% of videos I see if it support the statement. It does seem ‘toy plane’ like. 

On 6/17/2022 at 3:03 PM, Bobsk8 said:

What a ridiculous statement, MSFS is a toy.  I have been simming for 3 decades and a real life pilot since the late 70's.  MSFS is the best sim I have ever used, and it keeps getting better.

1 year ago you would’ve said the same about P3D. MSFS Visually yes, everything no. 

Edited by Doug47

8 hours ago, dave2013 said:

Is it still the intention of ASOBO/MS to disallow 3rd party weather addons like Active Sky?

If so, do they intend to at least add historical weather capability to MSFS?

This is one big thing preventing me from using it.  I can't abide flying with only live weather as it's so unrealistic.

Dave

You and I, and Ray I think, have similar views on the historic weather.  I 

I really hope they do plan to bring it, it is such an important feature - if you haven't already, please vote for it here:

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/historic-weather-as-second-timeline/213758

• Like 1

I'm going to read that thread. Unfortunately I think the target audience "doesn't care".

12400F - 32GB DDR4 - RTX4070 - 1440p G-Sync UltraWide - Sennheiser GSX 1000 - O11 Air Mini - 1TB NVMe + 2TB SSD - Windows 11 Pro - Prepar3D 5.4 and MSFS

12 minutes ago, Juliet Alpha said:

I'm going to read that thread. Unfortunately I think the target audience "doesn't care".

I agree. If it had to be explained to Asobo staff why historical weather was so important I don’t think they will implement it. A discussion in another topic suggested it was technically extremely hard to do.

• Like 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

I am alarmed by two or three things: people who seem to think that daytime weather is the same as night-time weather; people who have not yet understood the problem... and worst of all: the need to explain why this is important!

• Like 1