Sign in to follow this  
chapstick

It's been half a year since 5.3 came out

55 minutes ago, lwt1971 said:

it seems to be that the only measured data that ActiveSky uses is METAR/weather-station data? Genuinely curious to know.

You don't get winds aloft data from METARS alone. They're likely pulling in data from a variety of sources and weather models, such as the GFS.

Cheers!

Luke Kolin

I make simFDR, the most advanced flight data recorder for FSX, Prepar3D and X-Plane.

Also, from the Hifi website (FAQs): "Live Sigmets and Airmets for the CONUS".

Gigabyte x670 Aorus Elite AX MB; AMD 7800X3D CPU; Deepcool LT520 AIO Cooler; 64 Gb G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5 6000; Win11 Pro; P3D V5.4; 1 Samsung 990 2Tb NVMe SSD: 1 Crucial 4Tb MX500 SATA SSD; 1 Samsung 860 1Tb SSD; Gigabyte Aorus Extreme 1080ti 11Gb VRAM; Toshiba 43" LED TV @ 4k; Honeycomb Bravo.

20 minutes ago, Luke said:

You don't get winds aloft data from METARS alone. They're likely pulling in data from a variety of sources and weather models, such as the GFS.

Cheers!

Not forgetting upper level temps. ISA DEV can be as much as -20 around Barbados at FL350 and above. That’s around -60°C in still air.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

41 minutes ago, Luke said:

Cheers!

The operative word being ‘likely” - geniously curious??

Cheers, Søren Dissing

CPU: Intel i9-13900K @5.6-5.8 Ghz | Cooler: ASUS ROG RYUJIN III | GPU: ASUS Strix RTX4090 OC | MoBo: ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Hero | RAM: 64Gb DDR5 @5600 | SSDs: 1Tb Samsung M.2 980 PRO (Win11), 1Tb Samsung M.2 980 PRO (MSFS), | Case: ASUS ROG Helios 601 | Monitors: HP Reverb G2, 28" ASUS PB287Q 4K | Additional Hardware: TM TCA Captain's Edition, Tobii 5 | OS: Win 11 Pro 64 | Sim: MSFS | BA Virtual | PSXT, RealTraffic w/ AIG models

3 hours ago, lwt1971 said:

I see, so ActiveSky goes by METAR data only and then interpolates dynamically for non-METAR areas?

I don't know that metar/weather station reports are ActiveSky's *only* data source.

I am curious how Meteoblue provides greater granularity than ActiveSky.

Meteoblue says that they use weather models based on "NMM (Nonhydrostatic Meso-Scale Modelling) or NEMS (NOAA Environment Monitoring System) technology".  I don't know what that data is.  They also state that they provide a weather simulation based on models.  It would be interesting to see how accurate their depictions are vs the real world conditions as well as vs AcitveSky.

Meteoblue does have historical data, so MSFS could use that to provide historical weather.

Dave

Simulator: P3Dv5.4

System Specs: Intel i7 13700K CPU, MSI Mag Z790 Tomahawk Motherboard, 32GB DDR5 6000MHz RAM, Nvidia GeForce RTX 4070 Video Card, 3x 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 2280 SSDs, Windows 11 Home OS

I suspect that the majority of simmers just want weather that changes in a realistic manner and are less fussed about having  weather that is realistic for the time of day they fly in.  If they fly close to home then they will likely still get realistic time of day weather.  The problem arises when a simmer flies on the other side of the world when live weather could be very out of sync with the time of day you want to fly in. I have to confess I have not thought much about this but I can see the point being made by those who do.

Bruce

• Like 1

Bruce Bartlett

Frodo: "I wish none of this had happened." Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Activesky likely also uses Grib data (just like airlines do).

It's upper wind/temp annd weather accuracy is generally extremely good. 

6 hours ago, brucewtb said:

The problem arises when a simmer flies on the other side of the world when live weather could be very out of sync with the time of day you want to fly in. I have to confess I have not thought much about this but I can see the point being made by those who do.

You don’t need to go that far from home. My estimate is 3-4 hours time difference would be enough to affect temperatures at some parts of the world. If you’re at an airport east of your home the temps will generally be lower than reality, West and they’re higher. 12 hours difference and a noon departure would have midnight weather. Ouch!

It’s crucial to me because many of my Concorde flights start at 10:00 local from airports many time zones from the UK. And with ground and upper level temps critical to its engine performance the weather has to be accurate for the departure time.

• Like 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

11 hours ago, brucewtb said:

I suspect that the majority of simmers just want weather that changes in a realistic manner and are less fussed about having  weather that is realistic for the time of day they fly in.  If they fly close to home then they will likely still get realistic time of day weather.  The problem arises when a simmer flies on the other side of the world when live weather could be very out of sync with the time of day you want to fly in. I have to confess I have not thought much about this but I can see the point being made by those who do.

Bruce

The only thing I want is weather that is realistic for any time of day that I fly. Even for the day before or the week before. I rarely use current weather as I fly in different time zones, and go by the departure time of the VA’s I fly for. 

This has been this way for most simmers for as long as I can remember. All good wx programs provide historic weather. 

What I DO find strange is that since MSFS came along, regular sim experiences, and features we’ve all used for years upon years are now suddenly unheard of, or even considered unimportant. 

Its just….odd. 

Edited by Doug47
  • Like 6
  • Upvote 5

Let me throw this out there... would you prefer LM releases 5.4 or pay for a new 6.0?  Just curious.

Intel i9-12900KF, Asus Prime Z690-A MB, 64GB DDR5 6000 RAM, (3) SK hynix M.2 SSD (2TB ea.), 16TB Seagate HDD, EVGA GeForce 3080 Ti, Corsair iCUE H70i AIO Liquid Cooler, UHD/Blu-ray Player/Burner (still have lots of CDs, DVDs!)  Windows 10, (hold off for now on Win11),  EVGA 1300W PSU
Netgear 1Gbps modem & router, (3) 27" 1440 wrap-around displays
Full array of Saitek and GoFlight hardware for the cockpit

3 minutes ago, Clutch Cargo said:

Let me throw this out there... would you prefer LM releases 5.4 or pay for a new 6.0?  Just curious.

This sim is pretty much dead, so might as well go for broke and release the next paid version to see if it can generate some life. 

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Clutch Cargo said:

It would depend on what was new to v6. v4 was 64-bit, v5 had revamped world textures so v6 would need to bring something new. It depends on what is allowed in the agreement with Microsoft.

Of course there may not be a v6. Until LM say something we’re just speculating.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

54 minutes ago, Clutch Cargo said:

That would depend on backward compatibility of addons.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 4

Vic green

17 hours ago, Clutch Cargo said:

At the moment both fit me well! 😎

Richard.

Richard Portier

MAXIMUS VI FORMULA|Intel® Core i7-4770K Oc@4.50GHz x8|NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080ti|M16GB DDR3|Windows10 Pro 64|P3Dv5|AFS2|TrackIr5|Saitek ProFlight Yoke + Quadrant + Rudder Pedal|Thrustmaster Warthog A10|

To be honest, I would like P3Dv6 to be a serious competitor to MSFS. The outcome of that would be very interesting to watch.

Edited by Christopher Low
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 2

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png