Sign in to follow this  
chapstick

It's been half a year since 5.3 came out

Along these lines, when's the last time any of you saw any serious updates for P3D addons from developers. I have addon scenery products from numerous developers, including Orbx,

and haven't seen anything new for months. They're all pushing new products and updates for MSFS and in some cases Xplane, which by the way has moved ahead of P3D. If there is a v6,

it would have to be something really spectacular to reignite the interest of developers. Even then, backward addon compatibility with previous versions would be questionable.

Well, this is just an opinion. nothing more. Thanks.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Pete Locascio

On 6/25/2022 at 6:41 PM, Clutch Cargo said:

Let me throw this out there... would you prefer LM releases 5.4 or pay for a new 6.0?  Just curious.

I would prefer 5.4 since I have already paid for V5. And I find it unlikely that I will buy V6.

I would prefer to see what v6 can offer. I have decided not to purchase v5, as it is too late in the development cycle, and I am quite happy with v4 at the moment.

• Upvote 1

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

I'm currently using 5.3 as the scenery engine for my Aerowinx PSX.  If there is a P3dv6 I most likely will buy it.  I've stopped flying PMDG.  Those scenery developers who have continued to support P3d will continue to get my support.  🙂

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

I Earned My Spurs in Vietnam

2 hours ago, BlueStar said:

Those scenery developers who have continued to support P3d will continue to get my support.  🙂

+1

Gérard

• Like 1

On 6/26/2022 at 10:19 PM, tamba765 said:

Along these lines, when's the last time any of you saw any serious updates for P3D addons from developers. I have addon scenery products from numerous developers, including Orbx,

and haven't seen anything new for months. They're all pushing new products and updates for MSFS and in some cases Xplane, which by the way has moved ahead of P3D. If there is a v6,

it would have to be something really spectacular to reignite the interest of developers. Even then, backward addon compatibility with previous versions would be questionable.

I don't get it. What do you mean by "serious updates". Who would release updates as a joke? Also what do you mean by "haven't seen anything new" lol. Just because "YOU" haven't seen anything new doesn't mean there's nothing new coming to the platform. Feel free to browse this page and see what's new for P3D. https://secure.simmarket.com/prepar3d-v5-page-1.chtml

In case you don't wanna, WFSS updated Beijing to v2, some new dev released VABB Mumbai, Tropicalsim updated Punta Cana to name a few. There's a few new regional airports there also. ORBX released Prague for P3D as well and not just MSFS. Regarding future updates, FsLabs is making a NEO and 332/333 for P3D. iFly is making a MAX. How's that no future developments? 😇

Obviously currently most developers would focus on MSFS and that's what ORBX and most devs are doing currently is to convert all their airports to MSFS, which is normal. That doesn't mean they are ignoring P3D/XPlane. It really depends on the size of the dev teams also. Some of these dev teams are very small and this is not their main source of income as well, so they will of course not have enough time to concentrate on 2-3 platforms making things difficult for them.

"Xplane, which by the way has moved ahead of P3D."

Where are you getting all these insights/conclusions from? And who cares really? lol. I will fly what I want (I fly all 3 sims and I equally enjoy all 3 of them). I never understood why only in flight sims there are people interested in the numbers as to how many people are playing their favorite video game, like you are not going to get any profit from the sales/pitching of other platforms. 😄

Edited by Nocturnal
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Nocturnal said:

Where are you getting all these insights/conclusions from? And who cares really? lol.

The definition of condescending: Having or showing a feeling of patronizing superiority. Agreement or disagreement is good for a discussion, however everyone's input should be welcome here.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Gary Stewart

On 6/26/2022 at 11:19 AM, tamba765 said:

For myself to buy P3D v6.0,  yes, it would have to have something 'break-through', like scenery streaming, such as we have with current MSFS.  That would be enough for me to jump the broom.   I would not lament also if they truly 'broke free' from backward compatibility with v6.0,  as v5.3 is such a great P3D variation, that does allow all your 'junk' to run.   So...with that...if they create a totally new engine, platform, new dependencies',  all at the 'expense' of my already purchased 'junk'...NO PROBLEM...for I would expect the trade-off to KNOCK MY SOCKS OFF!

That would have to be behind P3D v6.0 to get me to purchase it.   I'd totally give up being able to run any 'past ($$$) junk' if what I would see, would make my jaw drop to the computer desk....but if not...a few 'improvements and twists' on the current engine and platform? (v5.x).  Nope...  v5.3 or later (x),  would be my P3D Swan Song, to keep and hold...

Ses

Edited by Sesquashtoo

On 6/30/2022 at 8:09 PM, Nocturnal said:

Also what do you mean by "haven't seen anything new" lol. Just because "YOU" haven't seen anything new doesn't mean there's nothing new coming to the platform.

So let me check, you're using a topic called "It's been half a year since 5.3 came out" to convince us that this platform is alive and kicking? Sure, a few 3rd party devs are still here since there is a temporary opportunity to make business now that 95% of the devs have left. This is not an indication that the future is bright though.

On 6/30/2022 at 8:09 PM, Nocturnal said:

"Xplane, which by the way has moved ahead of P3D."

Where are you getting all these insights/conclusions from? And who cares really? lol.

If one software is maintained and the other is not, at one point the first software is going to "move ahead" of the other. This one will attract the community and the 3rd party developers. The good one will get better and the bad one will get worse. Until something even better shows up and the tables are turned. That's just the way it is. Nobody is telling you you can't enjoy P3D or any other sim. But if you stay with an abandoned software, be prepared to be on your own and see other people enjoy the enhancements and developments in techonolgy while you're stuck using old stuff with bugs that aren't fiixed.

• Like 2

Abandoned. Enhancements. Developments. Old stuff. Bugs. Not Fixed.

Choose your insult day?

• Upvote 3

Intel i7 6700K @4.3. 32gb Gskill 3200 RAM. Z170x Gigabyte m/b. 28" LG HD monitor. Win 10 Home. 500g Samsung 960 as Windows home. 1 Gb Mushkin SSD for P3D. GTX 1080 8gb.

57 minutes ago, Multisim said:

But if you stay with an abandoned software...

That rumour doesn’t appear to have reached FS Labs who will shortly be moving their 64-bit Concorde for v5 into beta testing. When you have an aircraft as fast as that the scenery definitely takes a back seat.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

With all due respect, Ray.....the scenery never takes a back seat for me, no matter how fast or high I want to fly. Granted, I rarely get above 6000 feet in my PMDG taxis, but I would still need to know that the scenery is good if I was flying 60000 feet above it. Welcome to OCD Central :wink:

Edited by Christopher Low

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

53 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

That rumour doesn’t appear to have reached FS Labs who will shortly be moving their 64-bit Concorde for v5 into beta testing. When you have an aircraft as fast as that the scenery definitely takes a back seat.

First of all, many if not most P3D addons that go into beta never see the light of day. Or the developer release the beta marketed as a final product and charge you for it and then run away. But of course a few developers will keep releasing addons. We still see addons for FS9. This does not prove that FS9 is the sim of the future. Some of the addons from the bigger developers being in beta today were likely initiated in the pre MSFS/Xplane12 era. Of course they're gonna try to make some money of it instead of just ditching it, but it doesn't mean they're willing to start yet another project and invest thousands of hours for a product targeted against a market that is almost gone.

If you still think that MSFS equals scenery, I think it's time to move on. Those rants may have worked during the preview era but now it's just silly. You could at least make some rants about historical weather like the rest.

1 hour ago, IanHarrison said:

Abandoned. Enhancements. Developments. Old stuff. Bugs. Not Fixed.

Choose your insult day?

So which one was not true? You mean that we keep seeing amazing new releases from LM, all the legacy code is gone, all known bugs gets fixed within a reasonable timespan, nothing remains unfixed, and so on?

You know what the real insult is? I've spent a couple of decades buying various releases of FS*/P3D and hundreds of addons/sceneries/tools. For almost two decades I've been developing addons, tools and hardware drivers for it. The real insult is that LM still haven't fixed most of the know bugs that were reported and well known even in the FSX days. In fact they haven't even responded to must bug reports. The difference from FSX is marginal if you compare the achievements from their competitors during the same timespan (although most P3D users never look outside of their P3D bubble, so they actually think LM is doing a good job.).

The insult for us as a community should be that the issues talked about here today are almost an identical copy of the issues talked about 10 or 15 years ago. Stuttering, OOM:s, bad FPS, CPU core0 abuse, an update that fixes the previous version's stuttering bug but introduces two new, GPU driver issues, stucked loading, elevation issues, bad looking clouds, the 100th report of the same old known bugs, lack of updates, lack of communication, terrible ATC, flickering, bouncing a/c on the ground, floating buildings... 

Just take the frontpage of the P3D forum and replace "P3D" with "FSX" or "FS9" and you couldn't tell the difference from 10 years ago. All this while the rest of the world has moved on in an amazing pace. That's the insult.

• Like 2