Sign in to follow this  
chapstick

It's been half a year since 5.3 came out

3 hours ago, G-RFRY said:

Developers always move to the newest product or sim fresh pockets to empty. But just like other sims when the new sim has several versions of the same addon or airport they again will look for new money, and move back to tempt new users.

MSFS has a development cycle when finished they will leave it in the marketplace, along with several hundred other games.

P3D has not been developed for the marketplace but an inhouse product, a company that has bigger pockets than MS. We are using there product not ours but you don`t have to.

That is apparently not true. According to a quick search LM is worth $50 billion and MS $2trillion. (But it was only a quick search).

• Like 2

Intel i7 6700K @4.3. 32gb Gskill 3200 RAM. Z170x Gigabyte m/b. 28" LG HD monitor. Win 10 Home. 500g Samsung 960 as Windows home. 1 Gb Mushkin SSD for P3D. GTX 1080 8gb.

3 hours ago, mpo910 said:

No, they are NOT serving such a market. You are completely wrong here. Sorry to say this. They are a training plattform and read the EULA. No enthousiasts at all. Just training. 

They offer the abillity to use a plattform for training purposes WITHOUT serving! Really. Serving is support, and they do NOT support.

Don´t get me wrong, I understand what you are trying to state here. I would like to see them doing this indeed too. But it is not going to happen.

You don’t honestly believe that do you? 

19 minutes ago, IanHarrison said:

That is apparently not true. According to a quick search LM is worth $50 billion and MS $2trillion. (But it was only a quick search).

Correct,

LM is ~ 105B Market Cap, stock trades higher than MS but MS is one of the top 5 globally for Market cap at over $2Trillion as you pointed out... 

MS is about 20Bn in gaming revenue alone by my calculations...  So MS does about as much in gaming revenue as LM does with the F-35 😉  

• Like 2

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

3 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Whilst some form of injecting live weather into the sim might be feasible where does that leave Historical weather? That is essential for me when I fly in time zones far from my own. Hopefully that would remain an option.

The other problem is MSFS appears to be in a permanent state of beta. How long before it settles down to maybe one or two updates a year? Each update will probably break weather injection as you allude to.

I'm not on a 'convert Ray to MSFS' mission, honest 🙂. If I still had my old home cockpit setup I'd still be using P3D, and as it stands I'll be going back there when I build my new one. 

On historical weather specifically, REX is promising this in the next update of Weather Force, which they say is in testing now. They have been promising it for years, though, so I'll believe it once I see it. HiFi could offer the same thing once they have a mechanism for injecting weather into the sim. It seems the lack of an official method for doing it is stopping them, and that's perfectly reasonable for a commercial software vendor.

I would pay a subscription for a good ActiveSky implementation on MSFS or P3D if it kept the product alive. 100%. 

• Like 2

Temporary sim: 9700K @ 5GHz, 2TB NVMe SSD, RTX 3080Ti, MSFS + SPAD.NeXT

1 hour ago, neilhewitt said:

I would pay a subscription for a good ActiveSky implementation on MSFS or P3D if it kept the product alive.

Same here.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Best regards, Dimitrios

7950X - 32 GB - RX6800 - TrackIR - Power-LC M39 WQHD - Honeycomb Alpha yoke, Saitek pedals & throttles in a crummy home-cockpit - MSFS for Pilotedge, P3D for everything else

I'm not on a 'convert Ray to MSFS' mission, honest 🙂

No point starting a mission you could never win Neil. 😁 I look at MSFS every fourth Saturday at a local flight sim meeting and never come home thinking I must have it.

On historical weather specifically, REX is promising this in the next update of Weather Force, which they say is in testing now. They have been promising it for years, though, so I'll believe it once I see it. HiFi could offer the same thing once they have a mechanism for injecting weather into the sim. It seems the lack of an official method for doing it is stopping them, and that's perfectly reasonable for a commercial software vendor.

Fraught with danger as we well know. Hats off to them for trying though. I’m sure Damian chews his options over many times. Why Asobo are so bloody-minded I don’t know. Not like they want to clean up the market with their own utility.

• Like 3

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

4 hours ago, Doug47 said:

You don’t honestly believe that do you? 

Honestly, Yes I do believe that and am actually very confinced. If they would really serve such a market, then you would see and hear it. 

Regards,

Marcus P.

xaP1VAU.png

They serve such a market, they just do not target it.

• Like 4

Luke Kolin

I make simFDR, the most advanced flight data recorder for FSX, Prepar3D and X-Plane.

16 hours ago, Luke said:

Ok. That's a good description. Thanks. Since the latest point release I am not sure if this will, or has, changed. 

Marcus (Beta Tester P3D)

Regards,

Marcus P.

xaP1VAU.png

16 hours ago, Luke said:

I don't think they serve or target the enthusiast market. Officially, it's professionals, students and developers only. In my book, enthusiasts don't fit in any of those categories.

Best regards, Dimitrios

7950X - 32 GB - RX6800 - TrackIR - Power-LC M39 WQHD - Honeycomb Alpha yoke, Saitek pedals & throttles in a crummy home-cockpit - MSFS for Pilotedge, P3D for everything else

2 hours ago, d.tsakiris said:

I don't think they serve or target the enthusiast market. Officially, it's professionals, students and developers only. In my book, enthusiasts don't fit in any of those categories.

Well they certainly serve it by making it available to anyone without a professional, student or developer certification.  Officially or not it is publicly available for consumption, hence they serve that market. The only way to say they didn't serve it was if they prohibited that market from consuming it which they do not.  We are getting very close to a discussion that is not permitted though 😉 

Edited by psolk
  • Like 1

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

On 7/24/2022 at 12:14 AM, micstatic said:

How can you say this?  Let me put it another way.  If what you are saying is happening (Complete Rebuild), then that means that prior scenery will also lose compatibility.  no?

yes. 

No, not necessarily. One can write new code to work with older data formats. I think much of the source code has already been rewritten, because of how, with every major version, scenery data can be compiled in a new way. Plus, all the additional features P3D has received.

Best regards, Dimitrios

If I lose all compatibility v6 is not for me.

• Like 1

12400F - 32GB DDR4 - RTX4070 - 1440p G-Sync UltraWide - Sennheiser GSX 1000 - O11 Air Mini - 1TB NVMe + 2TB SSD - Windows 11 Pro - Prepar3D 5.4 and MSFS

I think that's extremely unlikely...

Best regards, Dimitrios