Sign in to follow this  
chapstick

It's been half a year since 5.3 came out

On 8/29/2022 at 3:18 AM, Nocturnal said:

This topic had already gone off-topic 4 pages ago.

I think it's been a stealth P3D is dead topic since the beginning. It's like when my wife comments, "It's been two weeks since..." (whatever) it's not small talk. But given the enduring popularity of this meandering mess of a thread, I suppose it doesn't look good for P3D. Why even check in on this forum just to see this as a virtual sticky and not much of interest being discussed? Begin countdown to: "But there's nothing else to discuss."

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, psolk said:

My issue was always that none of the flight sims did true FOV calculations.  There is the zoom option but no accurate way I've found within any of the flightsims to go in and do accurate FOV representation.  

In racing sims you have the ability to calculate monitor size, monitor angle, bezel width, seating distance, viewing distance and get a realistic accurate FOV relative to real life perspective. FOV and zoom are separate but configurable.  I haven't seen a flightsim yet that provided those type of monitor definitions so you end up with some weird zoom or fisheye effects on the edges of the monitors, it's just always been one area I found flightsim incredibly lacking compared to racing sims.  True multi monitor/FOV support compared to "zoom level"... 

You need 3rd party software for this. P3D's viewgroup system allows you to define as many arbitrary asymmetric view frustums as you like but you really need some software like Fly-Elise NG's Immersive Display Pro or Immersive LCD Pro to turn your physical design into viewgroup definitions that work properly. But it definitely can be done. 

To bring the conversation back to something barely approximating the topic, I'd like to see future P3D absorb the capabilities of something like Immersive Display Pro into the base product. But it would likely be a Pro Plus feature if it did.  

• Like 1

Temporary sim: 9700K @ 5GHz, 2TB NVMe SSD, RTX 3080Ti, MSFS + SPAD.NeXT

3 hours ago, Tim_Capps said:

I think it's been a stealth P3D is dead topic since the beginning.

Stealth? The topic is litterally "It's been half a year since 5.3 came out".  All the other major sims are developed and improved at an impressive speed and their communities and 3rd party developers are more active than ever. But this sim is not. This is not an opinion, it's just the way it is.

Once in a while there is some minor new version that mostly reintroduces old bugs and you're back to trying to get rid of stuttering and CTDs There's a lot of hope and dreams about the mythic major 6.0 version that will revolutionize
the flight sim world. You're free to have those dreams but I think you may get pretty disappointed.

If you're happy what you have, that's fine. Comparing the current state of one sim against the other is however totally meaningless to me.
An active developer and a positive, active community with a living 3rd party developer eco system is what I'm looking for, because I want my sim to improve. If you're happy with some ATC software written in visual basic in the 90's and the fact that most bugs will not ever get fixed in the core sim and almost no new addons on the market ever again, that's fine. Most people are not like that though and there is no need to get so emotional and hostile about it.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Multisim said:

If you're happy with some ATC software written in visual basic in the 90's

Speed is not the most important factor when it comes to ATC programs. The quality of the code and how well it vectors you for an approach and landing is.

Radar Contact 4 ( written in 2006, not the 90s) remains a quality program and if it was possible for it to work with MSFS I’m sure many people would be happy to use it.

Don’t be so snobby about programming languages. Horses for courses.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Why do people seem to think that longevity is such an undesirable thing? "That's dated, that's ten years old software etc. etc?"  Could longevity of use be because someone got it right or close enough to meet many people's needs? How old is the wheel? A lot of folks still using them. 

Vic green

My suggestion to you folks would be to keep your comments civil in nature.  Heads are starting to roll! :ph34r:

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

21 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Don’t be so snobby about programming languages.

I think you read my comment a bit to literally.

The point was that some people want to live in the past and others are willing to move on and try new things.

2 hours ago, Multisim said:

….no need to get so emotional and hostile about it.

Well this gave me a laugh….😀

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Multisim said:

The point was that some people want to live in the past and others are willing to move on and try new things.

No, I responded to what you wrote. Don’t try wriggling out of it. Having the latest simulator is not guaranteed to bring you happiness or total satisfaction as the many posts in that forum confirm. Many prefer the stability and features of P3D.

And may I remind you what forum you’re posting in? If you wish to continually criticise P3D you won’t find many sympathetic ears here. Move on to your preferred simulator forum. Continuous negative posts may be hidden if they serve no purpose other than to cause friction.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

8 minutes ago, Multisim said:

Why are you so worried about what other people like or dislike in the first place is what is baffling to me really 🤣

That's like saying "hey a new burger spot has opened, stop eating in the old one".

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

No, I responded to what you wrote. Don’t try wriggling out of it. Having the latest simulator is not guaranteed to bring you happiness or total satisfaction as the many posts in that forum confirm. Many prefer the stability and features of P3D.

And may I remind you what forum you’re posting in? If you wish to continually criticise P3D you won’t find many sympathetic ears here. Move on to your preferred simulator forum. Continuous negative posts may be hidden if they serve no purpose other than to cause friction.

Now he will run to reddit saying that "aww boohoo avsim mods threatened me" (like he did last time) and show a screenshot of your post while not showing the garbage that this guy has been posting here for a long time now.

Edited by Nocturnal

The irony of writing an emotional and confrontational post and then pointing out this is a discussion that you don't need to be emotional or confrontational about... 

Things that make you go hmmm.   

I used MSFS this morning for the Hype145 to fly between KLAS and 1G4 (Grand Canyon West and the Skywalk.)  It was incredibly rewarding and aesthetically incredible!!!  Now I want to fly a nice high fidelity 787 or 777 back to a good high fidelity DD KEWR as a transfer flight for my next sim flight to LLBG from KEWR which will also be with the 787 so here I am back in P3D and my flight will also be incredibly rewarding even if being less aesthetically pleasing.   

But please enlighten me how I would achieve the 2nd half of my day and do a good 787/777 flight from DD KEWR to LLBG if I were to dump P3D entirely because of its age or perceived stagnancy? 

I wouldn't have the option of a QW level 787, PMDG level 777 or even 747, no DD KEWR yet so herein lies just part of the issue and why both peacefully co-exist on my system and I still find great value in a well performing 5.3. 

Edited by psolk
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

11 minutes ago, psolk said:

But please enlighten me how I would achieve the 2nd half of my day and do a good 787/777 flight from DD KEWR to LLBG if I were to dump P3D entirely because of its age or perceived stagnancy?

Noone told you to dump P3D. Comparing specific scenarios or the cockpit lighting or specific cloud textures or whatever is just the same old meaningless "my sim is better than yours". This topic was about that P3D is barely maintained anymore. And I think few people can deny that there is barely any community or 3rd party developers left. If you don't see the problem with this, well good for you. Most of us do, however.

4 minutes ago, Multisim said:

Noone told you to dump P3D. Comparing specific scenarios or the cockpit lighting or specific cloud textures or whatever is just the same old meaningless "my sim is better than yours". This topic was about that P3D is barely maintained anymore. And I think few people can deny that there is barely any community or 3rd party developers left. If you don't see the problem with this, well good for you. Most of us do, however.

Having a problem with it isn't an issue, I can not like my neighbor to no end and that's fine, it's my business but standing on their porch and screaming at them I don't like them is something else altogether.  

Why can't you just respect other's choices, be happy with your own and move along?  I guess you missed what I said a few pages back.  Oh that's right, you are here speaking for "most of us"  

Edited by psolk
  • Upvote 1

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg