Sign in to follow this  
stephenbgs

Experiment is the USA

Here's  content manager listing what I was able to disable by searching on 'photogrammetry'. Notice that you cannot disable the WU2 USA nor WU 5 Nordics photogrammetry cities. i.e. as far as I know, there is no way to take out only the photo cities from the entire WU2 and WU5. (GOTY was a sim update not a world update but it had PG cities).

spacer.png

• Like 2

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

WU 5 was Nordics, WU2 USA. This method (searching content manager for "photogrammetry cities" only removes the PG cities, not the rest of the World Update. (Except for WU1 Japan, that whole WU is removed using this method I do believe).

Edited by Fielder

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

45 minutes ago, stephenbgs said:

I have not visited the official forum in well over a year so out of interest do you know if there is a performance hit with PG turned on in the Xbox version. I do not own an xbox but i would imagine if it was a problem with the console version Asobo would have found a solution a long time ago       

I glance the official forum regularly, notably on the named issue, but don't recall anything specific to the X-Box, but I may just have overlooked it.

Anyway, your list is remarkable clearly confirming the observation that those (far away) WU PG cities have an impact on just US airports. Whyever.

Kind regards, Michael 

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

I am slightly disappointed that Sim Update 10 was moved back from July to late August. That's when DLSS and an improved DX12 is supposed to happen. I expect to put back all the PG cities and have a new miracle MSFS performance. I'm a true believer in Asobo! By and by pie in the sky !

Those numbers are quite shocking. I do most of my flying in Europe and have generally decent performance. I deleted the PG cities but later put them back. Anyone have better performance in Europe after deleting, or is it an issue only affecting the US?

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

“Intensify the forward batteries. I don’t want anything to get through”

Good thread, however, just to be clear:

There is nothing that can be uninstalled (PG wise) if you fly only in the US?

(yes, you can turn it off in the settings, but not uninstall)

CPU: Core i5-6600K 4 core (3.5GHz) - overclock to 4.3 | RAM: (1066 MHz) 16GB
MOBO: ASUS Z170 Pro |  GeForce GTX 1070 8GB | MONITOR: 2560 X 1440 2K

17 minutes ago, Mike S KPDX said:

Good thread, however, just to be clear:

There is nothing that can be uninstalled (PG wise) if you fly only in the US?

(yes, you can turn it off in the settings, but not uninstall)

Cannot uninstall WU2 USA but the strange thing is that PG cities elsewhere in the world can affect performance in the USA. If I’ve understood it correctly. I’m sure @Fielder and @pmb can elaborate.

EDIT: These are small files. If you search for "photogrammetry cities" in content manager and select all, the total size is only 615kb...

buCB8gS.jpg

Edited by Cpt_Piett

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

“Intensify the forward batteries. I don’t want anything to get through”

From the MSFS get-go, I have avoided installing the WU files to the regions in which I'm not flying. Most of the time, I fly in North America, so I haven't bothered with any of the WU releases other than the US. Presumably those PG files are installed with the corresponding WUs. Not only does this save disk space, but it also seems to improve performance.

Why would one install scenery files that weren't being used? 

John Wiesenfeld KPBI | FAA PPL/SEL/IFR in a galaxy long ago and far away | VATSIM PILOT P2

i7-11700K, 32 GB DDR4 3.6 GHz, MSI RTX 3070ti, Dell 4K monitor

40 minutes ago, Cpt_Piett said:

Cannot uninstall WU2 USA but the strange thing is that PG cities elsewhere in the world can affect performance in the USA. If I’ve understood it correctly. I’m sure @Fielder and @pmb can elaborate.

thank you very much, very clear now.

CPU: Core i5-6600K 4 core (3.5GHz) - overclock to 4.3 | RAM: (1066 MHz) 16GB
MOBO: ASUS Z170 Pro |  GeForce GTX 1070 8GB | MONITOR: 2560 X 1440 2K

1 hour ago, jrw4 said:

Presumably those PG files are installed with the corresponding WUs. Not only does this save disk space, but it also seems to improve performance.

Why would one install scenery files that weren't being used? 

Yes, these files came with the world updates.

I fly often in different regions of the world, thus I didn't uninstall them so far living with the degraded performance for now. I think it's Asobo's turn to take care of this, these airports were fine (e.g. I had ~27 fps at KSFO on ground) until the first SU9 beta.

Besides, these files only draw CPU performance and I nearly exclusively fly under VR where I'm heavily GPU bound anyway.

Kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

An interesting evening i promised myself i would never look for tweaks or spend hours playing with settings like previous sims but tonight was an eye opener.

My experience tonight was by just disabling PG in settings gave the biggest boost,+12 to +18 fps at US airports. Deleting WU photogrammetry cities had a boost but extremely minimal. I suspect its as far as i can push my system those with better PC might notice a bigger boost from deleting the WU photogrammetry cities as @Cpt_Piett mentioned its only 615kb so its no big problem reinstalling them 

@pmb is right its Asobos turn to take care of this before anymore time passes.

Edited by stephenbgs
  • Like 2

Stephen

Asus Z170 Deluxe, 32 GB DDR4 Dominator Platinum, i7 6700k mild overclock, GTX Titan ( Pascal ) Win10

Unrelated, but how are you able to use EIDW? Regardless of whether I have MKS Dub or default Dub installed I get a CTD when loading EIDW or when approaching the airport.

4 minutes ago, shamrockflyer said:

Unrelated, but how are you able to use EIDW? Regardless of whether I have MKS Dub or default Dub installed I get a CTD when loading EIDW or when approaching the airport.

No Idea what may be causing that as i mentioned i use very little to no addons such as AIG or aerosoft  traffic, additional ground add-ons and no 3rd party ATC are you running v1.1.1 stability fixes are mentioned in change log but i never had any problem

• Like 1

Stephen

Asus Z170 Deluxe, 32 GB DDR4 Dominator Platinum, i7 6700k mild overclock, GTX Titan ( Pascal ) Win10

Removing the 8 small files in my post above, improves performance everywhere, including the USA. It takes only a short while to remove them, or put them back in. Under 3 minutes on my slow 100 Mbps internet. 

I just ran a test in my standardized flight.

The improvement by disabling is not dramatic, about 10% fps and 10% fewer stutters.

I can see the difference in USA between having those 8 files installed or not. Not a big difference on my system.

Another slight improvement is killing Windows Audio Device Graph Isolation background process in task manager.  But if you aren't using default plain vanilla sound driver that may cut off your sound until you make your default audio driver in Windows control panel/sound to the plain driver. You have to right mouse click 'go to details' in task manger to kill it. Might have to do that twice to get it to stay dead. 

I think I'm going to keep the PG files in content manager active. Because I can still lock 30fps with them active (using Vsync in MSFS options). I would never be able to lock 35, it would fall below that from time to time on my system and settings.