Sign in to follow this  
Guest Irishman

A funny thing happened to me after takeoff clearance...

Guest Irishman

I was testing out some settings this morning before work, and I had a little problem on takeoff. I was in a Mooney Bravo at KMSP (Mpls-St.Paul) and Ground Control had me and an AI Piper Archer taxi to the active runway, 12R. I watched the Piper takeoff and then the Tower granted clearance to taxi into position and hold. After the Piper was clear, I received my takeoff clearance. So I am about 1/3rd of the way down the runway when I see that an approaching Airbus was apparently granted clearance to land on 30L and is on a collision course with my poor little Mooney.My question is how could opposite runways be active for takeoffs and landings? I am using the KMSP file from the AVSIM File Library for FSX, and I have a lot of AI installed. I have noticed that opposing runways are used at other airports as well, but I have never seen where takeoff and landing clearances were granted at the same time. Is this just a flaw with the ATC AI or could it be the KMSP file?

It happens in both FS9 and FSX when the wind direction changes enough for ATC to change active runway between your clearance for take off an the other aircraft's request / clearance to land. It would be nice if ATC at least gave you the chance to clear the runway, but it does add some excitement to your departure!Gary

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24GB | 32GB 3200MHz RAM | 2TB + 1TB NVME SSD | 2GB SSD | 2GB HDD | Corsair RM850 PSU | 240mm AIO | Buttkicker Gamer 2 | Thrustmaster T.16000M Flight Pack | 75" 4K60 TV | 40" 4K60 TV | Quest 3 | DOF Reality H3 Motion Platform

MSFS @ 4K Ultra DLSS Performance with 2.0x Secondary Scaling |  VR VDXR Godlike 80Hz SSW OXRTK @ 4500x4500 Custom FFR CAS 50% | MSFS VR Ultra DLSS Performance - Windows 11

Guest Irishman

"it does add some excitement to your departure!"That's for sure!!! Thanks to AI Smooth, he aborted the landing and I banked high and right so there was no real "danger", but it was a bit annoying.

I've seen this since before ASX, but since then I've seen landing planes on opposing runways (Not necessarily the same as I) more often. By any chance, are you now using ASX?

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

Guest Irishman

Yes, as a matter of fact.