Hi all,

It has been a couple of years since I built my primary flight sim PC and I am getting the itch to build another. However, since it has been a couple of years I haven't really been keeping an eye on what is the latest and greatest 'new tech'.

My current primary FS system is this 

Intel Core i9-9900K CPU

DDR4 3400 RAM 32GB

ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero (Wi-Fi) Z390 MOBO

NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 2080 Ti GPU

Samsung SSD 860 EVO 2TB

I was thinking of going for a top of the line intel CPU and a 3080ti GPU together with some faster DDR4 RAM. However, I am really not sure whether I would see much difference in MSFS or not. Obviously the price of this stuff is pretty high at the moment and I wanted a reality check before just throwing money at it.

Any opinions very gratefully accepted.

Thanks guys..

Rich.

Wait for the new AM5 from AMD or 13th Gen Intel. Then coupled that with DDR5 and next gen Nvidia or AMD GPU. Probably by the end of the year you will see a clearer picture in terms of pricing and availability. If the next gen Nvidia or AMD card is not a substantial upgrade for the 3000 series (Nvidia) or 6000 series (AMD) then you can get them at a lower price than now. 

• Like 1

I agree with @TrentXWB. Your current system is still pretty reasonable and we are on the cusp of next gen CPU and GPUs, so you'll get most performance benefit and bang for buck by waiting another 6 months or so.

• Like 1

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24GB | 32GB 3200MHz RAM | 2TB + 1TB NVME SSD | 2GB SSD | 2GB HDD | Corsair RM850 PSU | 240mm AIO | Buttkicker Gamer 2 | Thrustmaster T.16000M Flight Pack | 75" 4K60 TV | 40" 4K60 TV | Quest 3 | DOF Reality H3 Motion Platform

MSFS @ 4K Ultra DLSS Performance with 2.0x Secondary Scaling |  VR VDXR Godlike 80Hz SSW OXRTK @ 4500x4500 Custom FFR CAS 50% | MSFS VR Ultra DLSS Performance - Windows 11

Thanks guys. I appreciate it. I was wondering about waiting a little..seems we are always waiting for the next new thing lol!

Thanks again for taking the time to push me in the right direction!

I'm in the same boat 10850K / 2080ti. It's no slouch, but I have been throwing hardware at flight simulators for, well... more years than some of you have been alive and I think that THIS time will be the system that gets me "there".

I'm going incremental. I just snagged an EVGA 1600W T2 power supply for $326 ($370 shipped) as the base. I don't usually get a new case, but I am going to this time to leave my current system intact so I can use it or sell it to someone that will. Then, I'm going to wait for the news on Intel 13th gen and Nvidia 4000 series. No sense paying the current prices for a 12900 and a 3090ti when they will come down. Curious as to where the 4080/90tis are going to come in price wise. I read somewhere that Nvidia was shooting for a "return to sanity" in prices. To them that means only having to sell your motorcycle instead of your car to get one. 🙂

We'll know in the next 6 months. Just hold tight for now.

• Like 1

i9-10850K, ASUS TUF GAMING Z490-PLUS (WI-FI), 32GB G.SKILL DDR4-3603 / PC4-28800, EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti BLACK EDITION 11GB running 3440x1440 

22 hours ago, MDFlier said:

We'll know in the next 6 months. Just hold tight for now.

Yeah, holding tight is difficult, but I will take that advice and sit on my hands for a while. A few months wait makes sense. Thanks for the input!

2 hours ago, RichUK said:

Yeah, holding tight is difficult, but I will take that advice and sit on my hands for a while. A few months wait makes sense. Thanks for the input!

Not sure about your current PSU but if you see a cheap deal of a good PSU then might want to get one. A good PSU might last a very long time. My last PSU was from Corsair TX750, lasted 12 years and it wasn't even broken. I just upgraded to Seasonic 850 Modular. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, TrentXWB said:

Not sure about your current PSU but if you see a cheap deal of a good PSU then might want to get one. A good PSU might last a very long time. My last PSU was from Corsair TX750, lasted 12 years and it wasn't even broken. I just upgraded to Seasonic 850 Modular. 

Hey,

Yeah I think I have a pretty good PSU in my primary FS machine - 

CORSAIR RMx Series RM850x CP-9020180-NA 850W ATX12V / EPS12V 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Full Modular Power Supply

Happy to be proved wrong though. It has been a few years since I have done any research on the latest and greatest!

Thanks so much for the input. I truly appreciate it!

Rich.

I agree, you have a good system now. Wait till the end of the year and get all the new gen stuff. I am also waiting for the new raptor lake cpu and ddr5.

Edited by TurboKen
  • Like 1

Flight Simulator's - Prepar3d V5.3/MSFS2020 | Operating System - WIN 10 | Main Board - GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO | CPU - INTEL 9700k (5.0Ghz) | RAM - VIPER 32Gig DDR4 4000Mhz | Video Card - EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 ULTRA Monitor - DELL 38" ULTRAWIDE | Case - CORSAIR 750D FULL TOWER | CPU Cooling - CORSAIR H150i Elite Push/Pull | Power Supply - EVGA 1000 G+ 

I needed to take the plunge as my system is like 10 years old!  Still using my trusty i7-2700K!  So I threw money into my next system. I didn't go with a 3090 after research so my build is:

i9-12900KF
Asus Prime Z690-A  (without all the wireless stuff thrown in)
32GB DDR5 RAM 6000
3 SK hynix M.2 SSD (2TB ea.)
4TB Seagate HDD (for backup/storage)
EVGA GeForce 3080 Ti
Corsair iCUE H70i AIO Liquid Cooler
UHD/Blu-ray Player/Burner (still have lots of CDs, DVDs!)
Windows 10 (worry about Windows 11 later)
EVGA 1300W PSU
Upgraded to 1Gbps internet, new netgear modem and router

I work at home and on my PC all day in development so I can rationalize the purchase. At least I keep telling myself that, ha!  Naturally, curious to see how all this stuff reacts to MSFS.

I just picked up a 27" 1440 display.  If it the new system handles it I may replace my three 27" wrap-around displays with one of those big 'ol 49" micro LED curved displays.

Speak of the devil... order just arrived.  Got two PSUs by mistake, ha!

Edited by Clutch Cargo
  • Like 3

Intel i9-12900KF, Asus Prime Z690-A MB, 64GB DDR5 6000 RAM, (3) SK hynix M.2 SSD (2TB ea.), 16TB Seagate HDD, EVGA GeForce 3080 Ti, Corsair iCUE H70i AIO Liquid Cooler, UHD/Blu-ray Player/Burner (still have lots of CDs, DVDs!)  Windows 10, (hold off for now on Win11),  EVGA 1300W PSU
Netgear 1Gbps modem & router, (3) 27" 1440 wrap-around displays
Full array of Saitek and GoFlight hardware for the cockpit

i am using a z590 chipset with a 10850k and a 2080 super, i am waiting until next gen as well, ddr5 will come down some, better m.2 support, more vram on the 4000 series nvidia gpu's. I use to upgrade almost every generation, but intel releases new cpu's almost every year, when it used to be every 2 years or so. I could have bought a 11900k to replace the 10850k on my z590 chipset, but decided to wait,I wasn't trading in a 10 core cpu for a 8 core. The 13900k's are probably right around the corner, and who nows if it's the same socket as the 12900k.

• Like 1

On 6/11/2022 at 12:28 PM, Clutch Cargo said:

I needed to take the plunge as my system is like 10 years old!  Still using my trusty i7-2700K!  So I threw money into my next system. I didn't go with a 3090 after research so my build is:

Your specs are almost exactly what I was going to go for. I think for you it is a much bigger upgrade than me so you can certainly justify it..together with your development work etc.

I guess I will have to have a little patience for my upgrade. It does make sense for me to wait. I hope your machine works out for you. Interested to know how it is going..

Thx for the interest Rich.  Just got the parts in and started the build.  Taking my time starting with the AIO liquid cooler and customizing my PC case (HAF-X).  Maybe I do a little play-by-play but I don't think one can upload images directly, one has to link and don't have time for setting up an account somewhere.

Have to admit with the new World Update X for the USA, I am curious to see how it will perform on MSFS 😁

• Like 1

Intel i9-12900KF, Asus Prime Z690-A MB, 64GB DDR5 6000 RAM, (3) SK hynix M.2 SSD (2TB ea.), 16TB Seagate HDD, EVGA GeForce 3080 Ti, Corsair iCUE H70i AIO Liquid Cooler, UHD/Blu-ray Player/Burner (still have lots of CDs, DVDs!)  Windows 10, (hold off for now on Win11),  EVGA 1300W PSU
Netgear 1Gbps modem & router, (3) 27" 1440 wrap-around displays
Full array of Saitek and GoFlight hardware for the cockpit

On 6/15/2022 at 10:02 AM, Clutch Cargo said:

Thx for the interest Rich.  Just got the parts in and started the build.  Taking my time starting with the AIO liquid cooler and customizing my PC case (HAF-X).  Maybe I do a little play-by-play but I don't think one can upload images directly, one has to link and don't have time for setting up an account somewhere.

Have to admit with the new World Update X for the USA, I am curious to see how it will perform on MSFS 😁

Eager to know how it is going!