Sign in to follow this  
Bert Pieke

Blurry 1 and blurry 2

More testing required to figure out if there is a "breaking point", but here we are with fps in the twenties and sitting for 15 seconds, waiting for the textures to catch up. I'm beginning to wonder if I've found a bit of a black hole in the scenery which I keep revisiting... Most other places I fly over do not behave like this, but this one is 100% repeatable. Take off from KSEA and heading towards Seattle.Before the textures stop updating, the fps take a couple of brief dips to 16 and 14 and jump right back up.Initial test with fps capped at 20, this test with unlimited.Picture says: FPS 24.9...http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/173311.jpg

Bert

Blurry #2 and you described it exactly, as well with the pause for a few seconds and they catch up.What gets me, is it's the same (no improvement) wether I lock my frames at 20, 25 or 30 - even when I'm getting 40+ in unlimited (CYVR area)I'm set at 2M textures, and while sometimes they will pop in under me, they are almost always 2M behind me and rarly in front of me. If my plane was 1km behind it existing place - then I wouldn't have "blurries #2" LOLGarett

Blurry 2 for me.The look is almost like FS2004 post-SP1 which I think is still pretty darn good but I wish the RTM look was back...Shez

Shez Ansari

Windows 11; CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K; GPU: EVGA GEFORCE GTX 1080Ti 11GB; MB: Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Gaming 5; RAM: 16GB; HD: Samsung 960 Pro 512GB SSD, Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD; Display: ASUS 4K 28", Asus UHD 26"

Guest hobbes99

I got blurry 2 and also if I cycle through views sometimes I completely loose the loaded textures. (the load again afterwards)I have only FSX & SP1 installed, nothing else, not even an add-on Aircraft. PC: -Dual Core-4GB Ram-8800 GTX 512MB-Locked at 20FPS-Sliders mostly in the middle:-)Christian

>I did say we are investigating. So please dont get ahead of me>and claim anything about what we are or are not doing. I just noticed while reading your remarks about 3rd party addons that I myself started thinking that... well, what I said. And if I start to think that, everyone can start to think that. Not everyone has the time to read ALL topics here. Anyway, I was hoping you (a certain someone) would say otherwise and you clearly did, so... you posted exactly what I wanted you to post. ;) Only I didn't mean to go ahead and claim things and (if I'm not mistaken) annoy you (a little), so sorry fot that. Next time I'll use even more smileys. ;) :( :) And I'll ask you straight instead of trying to be be funny and clever... ;)Back on topic: it's clear we have to keep the two kinds of blurries seperated. You could say Blurry 1 is just a severe version of Blurry 2, but somehow it doesn't seem that way (and after re-reading the topic just now I see Phil says so too). I do wonder also if some kind of blurry happens more on Vista than XP, or Intel and AMD, or 8800XX and other cards, but it might go to far posting ALL specs with every kind of blurry... But I think it's important that when someone posts about blurries, he or she has to make clear what exactly the blurry is.Apart from that, even though there aren't that many reactions yet, it looks to me that the blurries aren't ONLY related to 3rd party scenery... Both blurries are reported already without addon scenery, so... It does seem clear that 3rd party scenery won't exactly help: installing this may give you blurries if you don't have them yet, but it seems you cannot really say 'it appears blurries happen with specific 3rd party scenery', period. Too many people without addons have them too.Tonight I will 'go thru the drill' (even though I decided to stop tweaking and testing, but well... ;) ) to see when blurring starts to happen and if it is a specific slider that makes it happening or that it just depends on the load on the computer, no matter what sliders you use. So I'll report back in about 12 hours from now (it's early morning over here now)! ;)

Guest Jimbofly

I have never had an addon program (not even an aircraft) for FSX and I've reinstalled FSX clean and applied SP1 - without having added a single addon - and I get hideous blurries.One thing I have done, though, is installed Windows Vista. I actually installed Vista (Home Premium) on my machine then installed FSX then SP1.I wonder if Vista has anything to do with it?James

Although I do think up to now Vista hasn't proven itself to be the ultimate gaming-platform, I don't think the problem lies within Vista. RESET MCP ALT says he has both kind of blurries and he runs XP (if his specs are still up to date). Besides, if it was a real Vista-problem, there wouldn't be so much posts about blurries and various hints, tips and solutions. Then there would have been just one tweak that would have worked for everyone: get back to XP! That's not the case, so it has to be something else.

Guest cwright

I definitely have Blurries of the Second Kind (could be a great title for a Hollywood blockbuster!)However, I'm not sure if this is very meaningful. An important variable is flight speed. At low or moderate speed you will get Type 2. But as you increase speed it will change to Type 1, i.e. you are flying so fast that the scenery engine gets left far behind, resulting in totally blurred textures. Because I tend to fly low and slow (120 knots) I usually get Type 2. If I were flying a hot jet at a thousand knots it would be Type 1, no question.What I think I'm saying is that there aren't really two distinct categories of blurriness. One could imagines several measurement methods (e.g. to determine at what speed a specified blurriness occurs). Then a blur factor could be calculated as a function of speed. It could vary from zero (no blurring), through values of 0.5, 1.0, 1.5 etc to 2.0 (2.0 would mean the scenery engine is completely left behind, resulting in total blurriness).Some methods for measuring blurriness were discussed a few years ago, when dynamic blurred textures first reared their ugly heads (it was the FS version after CF2, maybe FS2002). In one method you slew at high speed until the textures are totally blurred and then measure the time required to return to full resolution. Maybe it's time to look up my old notes....Best regards, Chris

>What I think I'm saying is that there aren't really two>distinct categories of blurriness. I know what you mean, but if I'm not mistaken a symptom of Blurry 1 is that the textures do not load at all (once everything is blurred), while with Blurry 1 they DO load, but only too late. If Blurry 1 would be a severe version of Blurry 2 textures would still load after a while. It might take longer, but they would load. But AFAIK the textures stay blurred. Hence the need to approach these two blurries different and to keep clear which blurry you are talking about. Phil also said so ("Blurries that never catch up are likely to be a completely different problem") and if HE says so... ;)

Flying north and south in the Seattle area has shown me that Blurry2 happens at specific points when I cap at 20 fps... sometimes preceded by a shaking of the aircraft which I believe is normal turbulence. Could this mean that FSX is busy with something else (like weather) and forgets to keep the textures coming?For the one situation which I've shown in pictures, I ran Filemon in the background. I've got the log which I can send to Phil if he is interested. To my uneducated eye, the nice sequence of texture reads gets interrupted by a very long period of Shader file accesses roughly in the period I suspect my Blurry2 occurs. I cannot correlate the exact times since I do not have a way to timestamp the log, but I stopped Filemon right after the textures finally loaded.If I go to unlimited fps, I get steady fps in the 40s and even 50s, but much more regular Blurry2 situations, about every minute or so. This is with default FSX scenery.

Bert

J Van E,Just to throw a spanner in the works I have to say that I do not suffer from these blurries either post or pre SP1.(See comp specs below)I have just had this new computer and installed FSX fresh with SP1.The add-ons I have at the moment are the CJ1, Cloud9 Europe landclass and ASX/XGI lock my frames at 30 and keep all forms of traffic at 5%Scenery complexity is at maxTexture Resolution is 1mMesh 38mNO BLOOM!Water 2x lowAutogen is set at dense.Virgin FSX.cfg out of the box.It makes no difference to whether I use cloud9 or FSX textures, no blurries?I really feel for guys suffering this issue. I hope a resolution is quickly forthcoming.Here's my specs.Asus P5N32 sli-plus MBCoreDuo 6600 CPU with a jolly big zalman heatsink3GB OCZ2N1066SR2GK memory8800 768MB Graphics card2x 300GB Hitachi deskstar HD's 7200rpm set up in raid 0600W PSU (Corsair)Bios settings are default apart from memory voltage set at 2.1VNo overclocking (as yet)Stu.

i7 12700K , 32GB RAM @3600MHz, Asus Z690-Plus D4 MB, Gainward 4090 RTX Graphics, 850W Corsair PSU, Kraken AIO watercooler, Nvme 1TB ssd, 1TB ssd, 500GB ssd.

I'm in the blurries number 2 catagory. It is most significant when I switch views to 'nearest tower' view and then go back to 'spot' view. I am using add-on scenery and aircraft under XP pro.However, since I've done a fresh install, installed the April (latest version) of Direct X, and the newest Nvidia driver (ForceWare Release 90Version: 94.24 agp), deleted my FSX.cfg and let it rebuild, my blurries have almost completly dissappeared. I did a flight from Kbur to Koak last night using Poskies 737 and only got one instance of blurries on approach. I suppose everyone has tried that already, but if not give it a go.P4 3.0Asus P4P800se300GB SataGeforce 7800GS OCXP pro

Blurry #2Single Core AMD3700+ @ stock 2.2GHz2GB PC3200 RAM 2.5-3-3-66800XT 256mb PCIeFSX SP1My screen looks exactly like Bert's. I start out fine and then even while flying a Cessna Caravan or something faster than 100kts, things can barely keep up....(using 1m textures....2m are better but still don't keep up) If I fly that new freeware cessna 152 at like 80kts, the 1m do ok..and usually keep up with my plane.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |