Sign in to follow this  
Bert Pieke

Blurry 1 and blurry 2

Guest 3ra_Luke

Type 2 Blurries.Both with and w/o SP1 installed. I tested EVERYTHING. Really. Every setting of my graphic card, mobo and XP SO, I tweked again and again every setting inside FSX and fsx.cfg file. I try every "marvellous" settings from people that claims "Blurries are gone!" (I think they even dont know what blurries are, imho).NOTHING. Nada. Type 2 blurries are always there.As UTX and VancouverX beta tester, I can say that more detailed addons does not make a difference in blurries. Even on the less cluttered parts of the world, the type 2 appears.I have a good system, and this blurries problem is simply unacceptable.Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 Stock2133 MHz (8 x 267)Geforce 8800GTX4Gb HyperX 6400 DDR2 RAMSoundblaster X-Fi PlatinumCH Fighterstick+Pro ThrottleTrackIR 4SP1, imho, is a big bluff.

I actually also wonder if the Type 2 Blurries are an SP1 feature..After all the the talk on the forums, I went and uninstalled everything and then installed FSX, did a brief flight, and installed SP1.I believe that the reason that the Blurry 2 phenomenon is so noticeable in SP1 is that everything else works so much better! Wihout SP1, I had framerate problems that kept me from trying any real detail scenery. Now, that I can fly at a steady 20 fps over KSEA, I've got time to really look at the scenery and notice the issue. So, for me, I believe this is an FSX issue, not an SP1 issue.Phil, if you are reading, on my system at least, the bottleneck is not the disk I/O as best I can tell. I'm flying along nicely with detail tiles switching in at the expected distance, when suddenly one set of tiles refuse to flip to the detailed version. If I fly on, eventually, the sim will revert to flipping tiles as before. If I pause, however, the sim will sit, and over 10-20 seconds decide that maybe it is time to flip these tiles and there they are. No disk access... just FSX playing with itself. I can run Filemon in the background and other than consulting the Globe00 or Globe01 files, no textures are being loaded. It is as if something overran internally and it takes a long time for the cleanup routines to back out of the problem. This is all with default scenery in the Seattle area. If I take off from KSEA and head north towards the city, I can predict which set of tiles will not load, same every time.Generally speaking, the speed of flight has a lot to do with this issue... In the trike, at 50 mph, things are a lot better than in the Extra at 150 mph. Amazingly, however, the sim is really smooth at all times... I can do aerobatics in the Extra and the world turns around me without a stutter... Then, I am flying along, minding my own business and admiring the scenery at 2500-3000 feet and there, this darn tile is coming at me, blurred, and refuses to "unblurr"... all at 20 fps.

Bert

Guest steve43

>>I believe that the reason that the Blurry 2 phenomenon is so noticeable in SP1 is that everything else works so much better! Wihout SP1, I had framerate problems that kept me from trying any real detail scenery. Now, that I can fly at a steady 20 fps over KSEA, I've got time to really look at the scenery and notice the issue. So, for me, I believe this is an FSX issue, not an SP1 issue.<

Guest LenB

Hi all,I installed SP1 by uninstalling RTM, (rebooting), reinstalling, running once, (rebooting), then installing SP1, as recommended. I made no slider adjustments or CFG tweaks.My (now humble) hardware is single core Athlon 2500+ cpu, 1GB DDR400 (dual channel) RAM, 7600GTX/256MB AGP graphics (8X, aperture 256 MB), Audigy sound.After installing SP1 I had what seemed to be Blurries 1, as the textures over Friday harbour (the default startup) became increasingly blurred as I flew across the landscape, and did not improve after pausing for a few minutes. I also noticed the "bright green runways/taxiways" of larger airports, as reported by some others. FSX RTM textures were not blurred previously. So after a deal of experimenting with SP1 sliders I went back to FSX RTM, as some other have chosen to do also, and resigned myself to a future significant hardware upgrade (multi-core CPU, 2GB+ RAM, 512MB+ graphics card) to remove the blurries and otherwise enhance the FSX experience overall.Anyway, a week ago on a whim I increased RAM size to 2 GB (from 1 GB). The blurries went away, green runways have gone, and FSX SP1 is noticeably smoother than FSX RTM. For info....Regards, Len

Guest PhilC

That's really good info, Len. I've always thought that only having 1 GB RAM was my problem too. But, alas, I contacted Dell and was told that 1 Gb is the max my Dimension 8250 would accept. Even if that weren't completely true, I could not afford the four Dell 512 Mb RIMM modules required. They are around $330 each! It would be cheaper to buy a new PC. I recently bought a new ATI x1650 video card with 512 Mb memory. That's about the last upgrade I can afford I'm afraid.If someone is familiar with the 8250 and has experienced upgrading to 2 Gb cheaply, I would love to hear about it.

Guest Bungalow

Maybe a new type of "blurry": I saw this issue on several occasions. After flying for like 5 minutes, the texture suddenly goes blurred to the max all over the terrain. Doing a double alt-enter (out of full screen and back) solves it temporarily (full detail back).Is this a known issue? Maybe a driver issue btw.158.22 nVidia driver on 8800GTS using 16xCSAA and 16xAF (enabled in FSX and forced in driver), C2D 2.9Ghz, 2GB HyperX PC6400 RAM.

Well, i can certainly shed a little light on this issue. First my system specs.Intel E6700 Core 2 Duo overclocked to 3.75Ghz.EVGA IForce 680! MB4GB Corsair DDR2 RAM 800Mhz2X Maxtor 500GB HDD @ 7500RPM acoustic drive management turned off.EVGA NVidia 8800GTX Graphics.Creative X-Fi SoundSome of you may remember that I had terrible issues with FSX remaining activated on my system. That was another story. Short of it was the motherboard had problems. I've since replaced the MB and the problem with activation has been resolved.As far as these blurries go. I have blurries (type 1) using photo scenery AFTER installing SP1. Never had this issue with RTM. In fact, RTM ran rather well on my system as robust as it is. The one thing I really, really liked about FSX RTM was that I could use photo scenenry and FSX would keep up. Even when flying fast jets. There were no blurries to be found. Ever! It was a significant improvement over FS9. After seeing that SP1 was to utilize the second core of my processor I opted to install it. The blurries were instant. No changes in slider position at all. I have left FSX paused and my system sitting for ten minutes and the blurries won't go away. The textures simply never load. I can guarantee you that it's not an issue with the speed of my PC as it runs Lomac at 248 FPS all sliders maxed. I have since uninstalled FSX, reinstalled FSX, run as RTM for days, get all my settings tweaked, install SP! and Bam! Blurries are here. This, in my opinion, is most certainly an issue caused by SP1. I seem to remember reading that texture calls were reduced in SP1 to increase overall FPS. Perhaps what we are seeing here is a classic example of robbing Peter to pay Paul. Thing is, with my system, I don't owe Paul anything. So, I'll be going back to RTM until the issue is resolved.

>That's really good info, Len. I've always thought that only>having 1 GB RAM was my problem too. But, alas, I contacted>Dell and was told that 1 Gb is the max my Dimension 8250 would>accept. Even if that weren't completely true, I could not>afford the four Dell 512 Mb RIMM modules required. They are>around $330 each! It would be cheaper to buy a new PC. I>recently bought a new ATI x1650 video card with 512 Mb memory.>That's about the last upgrade I can afford I'm afraid.>>If someone is familiar with the 8250 and has experienced>upgrading to 2 Gb cheaply, I would love to hear about it.Unfortunately, "cheaply" and "Rambus DRAM" can't really be used in the same sentence. :( You may be able to get 512MB modules more cheaply than through Dell but they are still pretty pricey, e.g. US$250 at TigerDirect.com. Regarding the maximum memory for your system, according to Dell's documentation it should be either 1.5GB or 2GB depending on the speed of your FSB. Info at: http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/syst...ecs.htm#1105389 Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but it would probably be better to start saving towards a new computer than invest more money in a RDRAM-based system.