Sign in to follow this  
flycln

PMDG not planning to update LNAV for P3D

There is still hope yet....here is a quote from RSRs update today:

"Inevitably, our plan is to roll this new LFPM backward through our entire product catalog in Prepar3D as well. There is no defined schedule for doing this yet, as we are entirely committed to the MSFS dev cycle for the near term- but it is likely we will pop it into the P3D product lines in intermediate update cycles along the way. It is hard to predict a schedule for this until we get clear of the 737 release cycle at least."

https://forum.pmdg.com/forum/main-forum/general-discussion-news-and-announcements/198308-17jun22-pmdg-737-development-update-sometimes-you-just-can-t-do-anything-right

• Like 1

Ryan

1 hour ago, DModjo said:

I think the LNAV v2 will probably make it to the P3D products eventually. As most of the logic developed would be transferrable between the P3D and MSFS lines.

They've now got everybody working on the 737 line for MSFS. After that they'll probably focus on getting the next plane out for MSFS.

It's possible they'd theoretically like the update to make it to P3D but their priorities lie elsewhere and I don't see them diverting developer attention away from their MSFS line of products in the next 2-3 years. They'll be very busy getting the other planes ready and fixing bugs.

43 minutes ago, blaunarwal said:

Well that explains it right away. Why should PMDG further invest time and money into P3D if people leave it?

The initial problem is, they sell products not finished and we buy it without hesitation even knowing it's not finished. 

I can buy any product from any developer even if they state, just like PMDG now does, it's unifinished.

Bought their 737-700, and am enjoying it a lot, just as I did the dc-6 although I seldom use it.

The problem is not - for me - buying something that is released in an "open-beta" state but rather that of one day finding out that my platform is no longer suported.

In my case I was never a dedicated P3D user. I never bought a full license for the versions 4 or 5 but rather opted to buy monthly dev licenses instead. Until recently my main general purpose cIvil flight simulator was X-Plane, now MFS too, and above all IL-2 Battle of Stalingrad and DCS World.

Edited by jcomm

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

1 hour ago, jcomm said:

The problem is not - for me - buying something that is released in an "open-beta" state but rather that of one day finding out that my platform is no longer suported.

Isn't the nature of software that at some point your platform will no longer be supported ?  This is not just something that happens in software, last winter I took my wife's skis to be tuned up at the local ski shop and the tech told us that the model of Salomon bindings were too old and no longer supported, they refused to work on them.  

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

1 hour ago, MarkW said:

Isn't the nature of software that at some point your platform will no longer be supported ?  This is not just something that happens in software, last winter I took my wife's skis to be tuned up at the local ski shop and the tech told us that the model of Salomon bindings were too old and no longer supported, they refused to work on them.  

Skis tuned? Couldn't they fit new turbo-chargers and dyno test them?

Intel i7 6700K @4.3. 32gb Gskill 3200 RAM. Z170x Gigabyte m/b. 28" LG HD monitor. Win 10 Home. 500g Samsung 960 as Windows home. 1 Gb Mushkin SSD for P3D. GTX 1080 8gb.

6 hours ago, DModjo said:

Although the 777 VC almost certainly is dead I'd say. 

Didn't they say it would be part of the 777 MSFS development and be pushed back into P3D at that point? Perhaps I'm wrong but I was always under the impression that was what they said, with the 2021 estimate for it not playing out since MSFS development in general took way longer than they initially thought (3 months or so for the 737 which turned into something like 2 years). Not sure why people expect it to be out already.

Microsoft Flight Simulator | PMDG 737 for MSFS | Fenix A320 | www.united-virtual.com | www.virtual-aal.com | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Kingston Fury Renegade 32 GB | RTX 3090 MSI Suprim X | Windows 11 Pro | HP Reverb G2 VR HMD

11 hours ago, rjack1282 said:

"Inevitably, our plan is to roll this new LFPM backward through our entire product catalog in Prepar3D as well. There is no defined schedule for doing this yet, as we are entirely committed to the MSFS dev cycle for the near term- but it is likely we will pop it into the P3D product lines in intermediate update cycles along the way. It is hard to predict a schedule for this until we get clear of the 737 release cycle at least."

Considering RR stated that they were using P3D for bug testing of LNAV 2.0 I'm surprised that it would be such a big deal to update the P3D models. Wouldn't you need to have it running on P3D to test the code for bugs?
Maybe they want to appease the new "kid's on the block" with their Xbox consoles first.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 3

Cheers

Steve Hall

On 6/14/2022 at 11:10 AM, IanHarrison said:

Please elaborate on this, as I have been flying the QOTSII for some years now and have had no problems. (Did you mean FMC?)

fmc, yes on the 747 and 777,  used to happen if you didnt do things in a certain order.

14ppkc-6.png

14 minutes ago, fluffyflops said:

fmc, yes on the 747 and 777,  used to happen if you didnt do things in a certain order.

Maybe "used to" is the operative phrase?

• Like 1

Intel i7 6700K @4.3. 32gb Gskill 3200 RAM. Z170x Gigabyte m/b. 28" LG HD monitor. Win 10 Home. 500g Samsung 960 as Windows home. 1 Gb Mushkin SSD for P3D. GTX 1080 8gb.

2 hours ago, IanHarrison said:

Maybe "used to" is the operative phrase?

Still happens unless you use fmc3 first I believe. 

As well as numerous posts on their forumn about issues with the ms2020 737.  Which is why I won't give them my money until they fix it. 

14ppkc-6.png

4 hours ago, fluffyflops said:

Still happens unless you use fmc3 first I believe. 

As well as numerous posts on their forumn about issues with the ms2020 737.  Which is why I won't give them my money until they fix it. 

Great way of saving money - if you refuse to buy software until ALL the bugs are ironed out then you'll probably never buy anything.... 😉

For what it's worth I think a lot of posts on their forum are new to flight simming let alone the 737....

G

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Gary Davies aka "Gazzareth"

Simming since 747 on the Acorn Electron

PMDG 737NGXu Update for Prepar3D:
For our Prepar3D users, we are evaluating an update for your 737NGXu install that will add the new Lateral Flight Path as well as a range of other code-side updates to the PMDG 737NGXu for Prepar3D that have derived from our MSFS efforts. This update will be limited to code changes, so it will update the core behaviors of the airplane, but not graphic/model/texture changes are planned at this time.

https://forum.pmdg.com/forum/main-forum/general-discussion-news-and-announcements/202612-08jul22-pmdg-737-700-updated-to-3-00-0025-plus-a-few-other-tidbits-for-the-weekend

Maybe? Maybe?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

On 7/10/2022 at 9:38 AM, level7 said:

Don’t get too excited. Remember this is Bobby R we are talking about here, doing his patented PMDG speak.

“We are evaluating” are the weasely-ist of weasel words. 

PMDG is OK if you remember that their timelines are laughably inaccurate, and their promises of future features and updates are not worth the virtual paper they are written on. I’m not expecting a virtual cockpit upgrade or a proper LNAV for my T7 any time soon. I’m not too devastated, but it’s disappointing as there was a time, not too long ago, when I would have trusted PMDG to actually deliver on their promises.

Edited by OzWhitey
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 5

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."