Sign in to follow this  
7neophyte7

Fenix even the brakefans are modelled

When landing I noticed the brakes where overheated, so I put on the brakefans and checked outside and guess what, I see and hear the brakefans spinning! I’m still impressed with this aircraft!

• Like 4

========================

HAPPY FLYING

Raymond

Put your nose very near to the screen, you even notice a slight breeze

• Like 13
  • Upvote 1

Guenter Steiner
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Betatester for: A2A, LORBY, FSR-Pillow Tester
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

15 minutes ago, guenseli said:

Put your nose very near to the screen, you even notice a slight breeze

Yes, but then the smell of the overheated brakes makes me feel sick.  This plane is too realistic in my opinion - it's all gone a bit too far - I only wanted a toy aircraft!  😕

• Like 4

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

Keep a fire extinguisher close by ........You never know 

Alaa A. Riad
Just love to fly...............

W11 64-bit, MSFS2020, Intel Core i7-8700 CPU @ 3.20 Ghz 6 Cores, 2 TR HD, 16.0 GB DDR4 RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6 MB GDDR5

Isn't it awesome? I'd love it if the devs could model brake degradation as well. Imagine if you went to apply the brakes and they were melted, or the heat caused the tires to burst / flatten?

PMDG does it in the NG3, so it's possible to code. Love to see it in the Fenix someday too.

Take-offs are optional, landings are mandatory.
The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.
To make a small fortune in aviation you must start with a large fortune.

There's nothing less important than the runway behind you and the altitude above you.
It's better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air, than in the air wishing you were on the ground.

I'm surprised Fenix does not simulate brake degradation already. Does the performance actually degrade with heat on carbon brakes, or does further braking just get them hot enough to damage the tyres and surrounding components? Are A320s typically carbon or steel brakes? (the braking technique is different for them too, steel you make lots of small light applications during taxi, carbon you make fewer but longer and firmer)

Edited by ckyliu
  • Like 1

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

6 minutes ago, ckyliu said:

I'm surprised Fenix does not simulate brake degradation already. Does the performance actually degrade with heat on carbon brakes, or do they just get so hot with additional braking they damage the tyres and surrounding components? Are A320s typically carbon or steel brakes? (the braking technique is different for them too, steel you make lots of small light applications during taxi, carbon you make fewer but longer and firmer)

First thing I did with the FNX320 is do a lot of full stop taxi backs at KLAS. Noticed my brake temps over 800C. I figured I'd suffer a blown tire any minute but it doesn't seem like it's modeled yet. Wouldn't be surprised if it was on a post release to-do list. Aamir did say he had a lot of features he wanted to add to the product post release. We'll see if it makes the list.

• Like 2

Take-offs are optional, landings are mandatory.
The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.
To make a small fortune in aviation you must start with a large fortune.

There's nothing less important than the runway behind you and the altitude above you.
It's better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air, than in the air wishing you were on the ground.

20 minutes ago, ckyliu said:

I'm surprised Fenix does not simulate brake degradation already. Does the performance actually degrade with heat on carbon brakes, or does further braking just get them hot enough to damage the tyres and surrounding components? Are A320s typically carbon or steel brakes? (the braking technique is different for them too, steel you make lots of small light applications during taxi, carbon you make fewer but longer and firmer)

I dont thing so, racing cars use Carbon and they need heat and can be glowing red. I think they love heat. Unlike Steel. As you say Braking is done diffrently for both Carbon its let speed reach 30KTS firm brake down to 10Kts..repeat. 

I had the HOT Brakes warning come on once but I was in an easyjet so......yer like Ryanair no expense spared. 😉 What are brake fans 🤪

Edited by Nyxx

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

Note the carbon brakes on aircraft are not the same as the carbon ceramic brakes on high performance cars. They are typically carbon fibre strands within a graphite matrix. I think the automotive ones use other resins instead and sometimes the carbon is woven (not entirely sure on this, don't have the budget for those brakes on my own vehicle)?

Also I know some ground handling services can provide brake fans upon request during turnaround.

Edited by ckyliu

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

1 minute ago, ckyliu said:

Note the carbon brakes on aircraft are not the same as the carbon ceramic brakes on cars, to my knowledge.

Really! I dont know, Interesting.

They might be "Skinflints" 🙂😉

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

BAE146 does it too (althought im not sure if they're 3D modeled), bit the logic and sound is there for sure

I do have a feeling that brake fans are a bit too effective as they cool brakes extremely fast - maybe it is my wrong feeling only...

Artur 

Heya! So, yes and no.. 

What you're observing with regard to the "immediate" cooling effect is actually technically correct, from a mechanical point of view. The temperature probe for the brakes sit in between the fan and the brake itself, so when selecting the brake fans to ON, the probe registers roughly a 10-20 degree drop in temperature almost immediately, induced by the airflow now streaming over said probe at OAT, before reaching the brakes themselves.

What is incorrect, however, is that our implementation drops the immediate temperature a little too much. So, we'll be tweaking that, that one is on me! Sorry about that! 

• Like 12

Aamir Thacker

10 minutes ago, Aamir said:

Heya! So, yes and no.. 

What you're observing with regard to the "immediate" cooling effect is actually technically correct, from a mechanical point of view. The temperature probe for the brakes sit in between the fan and the brake itself, so when selecting the brake fans to ON, the probe registers roughly a 10-20 degree drop in temperature almost immediately, induced by the airflow now streaming over said probe at OAT, before reaching the brakes themselves.

What is incorrect, however, is that our implementation drops the immediate temperature a little too much. So, we'll be tweaking that, that one is on me! Sorry about that! 

You know you have an excellent product when customers are complaining about brake fan temps.

• Like 7

On brake temps I noticed that while the cooling might be extreme like a massive fan is blowing dry ice on them, the moment you turn the fan off the temps shoot up as the air circulation stops and heat soak is present; play around with turning the fan on and off and you will notice Aamir has modeled the heat capacity, not just the intensity. And that is for something minor like brake temps that most people won't even notice... I keep finding more and more small details like that modeled that make the engineer in me extremely happy 🙂

The latest one I found is that cockpit temperatures can get searing hot with the aircon off and depending on whether you open the windows, the cabin door or both, it cools down differently...

Edited by Makinen11
  • Like 2