Sign in to follow this  
brucewtb

Fenix Ready State?

When you start on the runway with the ready state the engines are running but the GPU is still attached,  So what exactly is the ready state ready for?

Bruce

Bruce Bartlett

Frodo: "I wish none of this had happened." Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

2 hours ago, Bdub22 said:

Might mean READY to taxi? 

Exactly. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

With the GPU still connected?

Bruce

• Like 2

Bruce Bartlett

Frodo: "I wish none of this had happened." Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

2 hours ago, brucewtb said:

I haven't purchased the Fenix yet and I understand why having the GPU still connected might be confusing. I won't lie, it's kind of confusing to me. I think others who actually own this plane can give you better guidance than I can. BUT, if an Airbus is ready to taxi and its still connected to the GPU, the first thing you'll need to do is start the APU and the APU BLEED (as well as the beacon light). Once thats hot and bothered enough, you'll be able to disconnect the GPU and be READY for taxi. 

• Like 1

It's weird yes.

Maybe some with hands-on experience in ground ops can help ?

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Hi Bruce,

I'm away from my PC right now. But I'm quite sure you can de-select GPU in the EFB somewhere and then save this condition as your default ready state. I had it like that automatically from the beginning.

Cheers Martin

EDIT: Just saw a tutorial thread for the fenix efb just a few threads below: 

EFB > Fenix Icon (first icon on the left side) > Ground Services (lower navigation list) > GPU (on/off slider)

Edited by Avi8tor

CPU 9900K @5GHz, RTX3090 Suprim X, 32GB RAM @3600MHz, WIN 10, P3Dv5.3HF2, 4K 40“ Monitor @30Hz

You can save any of these state as your default state.

"Ready" I have never used, you would think it means "ready to take off" as thats the "normal" state when starting on a runway.

You would not be connected to the GPU/PCA for "Ready to Taxi". As you would be pushed back with engines started.

So I have no idea Frankly 😄🙄

fenix-a320-efb-12.jpg

• Like 1

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

2 hours ago, Bdub22 said:

if an Airbus is ready to taxi and its still connected to the GPU, the first thing you'll need to do is start the APU and the APU BLEED (as well as the beacon light). Once thats hot and bothered enough, you'll be able to disconnect the GPU and be READY for taxi. 

If it's ready to taxi the engines are already running so you do not need the APU or its bleed air. You can just disconnect the GPU, the engines are already powering everything. Very unusual using APU to provide bleed during takeoff too, usually just turn the packs off for 5 min. That goes for most airliners, not just Airbus.

Edited by ckyliu

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

7 hours ago, brucewtb said:

Bruce

One of the checks you do before pushing back is to make sure doors are closed, chocks are removed and GPU is disconnected. Part of being a pilot. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

1 hour ago, ckyliu said:

If it's ready to taxi the engines are already running so you do not need the APU or its bleed air. You can just disconnect the GPU, the engines are already powering everything. Very unusual using APU to provide bleed during takeoff too, usually just turn the packs off for 5 min. That goes for most airliners, not just Airbus.

I am told, only time packs are turned off is for a very short runway or high altitude takeoff. 

@Bobsk8Highly dependent on operator SOP, I know for easyJet almost all takeoffs were packs off pre-COVID.

But almost no one is using APU during takeoff on any type. And the Airbus ain't no Trident 3B (very niche reference there, kudos to anyone who remembers the four engined tri-jet!)

spacer.png

Edited by ckyliu
  • Like 1

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

3 hours ago, ckyliu said:

very niche reference there, kudos to anyone who remembers the four engined tri-jet!

I didn't, but as you mentioned it just had to Google it. Interesting!

• Like 1

Ian Box

Yep, a giant APU made (partially) of plastic and derived from a VTOL engine that produced over 5,200 lbf to assist takeoff. Automatic start from the overhead like a normal APU but had a switch for IDLE or CLIMB near the pedestal (shown above), throttling was otherwise decided by system logic and automatic shut off once established in the climb. A classic British bodge job really 🤣

David Maltby and Saverio Maurri made a freeware Trident for FS9, with a virtual cockpit and working APU booster engine! If you still have an FSX install you can try it out, it's certainly novel. And deafening. Described as "modern in an old fashioned way" like an episode of Thunderbirds, with it's offset nosegear, leading edge slats, autoland, in-flight reverse (with 10,000 fpm descent!) and powered cabin doors; I don't think much of the way of thinking made it to Airbus, although Hawker Siddeley's descendants continue to design and build Airbus wings to this day. And BA's early A320s had a Paravisual Display (PVD) barberpole on the glareshield for rollout guidance.

Edited by ckyliu
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

support1.jpg

I love the Fenix product, but find it very odd that a GPU and air cart are part of the standard start states.  More so when parked at jetway at a major US airport.  Personally, I can not recall the last time I saw a power cart connected to a jet liner.  Also odd is that when a gate, the FBW allows for 'ext power' as expected, but Fenix (at the same gate) does not have this option unless the GPU is attached.

CPU: Core i5-6600K 4 core (3.5GHz) - overclock to 4.3 | RAM: (1066 MHz) 16GB
MOBO: ASUS Z170 Pro |  GeForce GTX 1070 8GB | MONITOR: 2560 X 1440 2K