Sign in to follow this  
mikeklimek

gns530 Mod RNAV Load/Activate Approach

The 'Readme' for the gns530 mod found here:  https://github.com/pimarc/pms50-gns530 states the following:

"The original logic for the loading and activating of an approach has been changed. Here is how it works now:

If you choose an approach and just load it, it's then added to the flight plan but not activated. It's up to the pilot to activate it or not (activate approach in procs menu).

Activating

If you activate the approach the autopilot goes directly to the first approach waypoint by a direct To."

The above is my understanding of how it should work, i.e., the approach isn't activated until the pilot proactively activates himself.  However, I'm finding that with this mod, simply loading the RNAV approach appears to passively activate it as well---such that when I'm nearing my destination, the GPS will automatically start routing me to the first waypoint of that approach.  In essence I'm not having to proactively activate it.  

Are others seeing the same?  Am I misunderstanding the way it's suppose to work?

33 minutes ago, mikeklimek said:

In essence I'm not having to proactively activate it.

In Garmin-land, not activating the approach doesn't mean the GPS won't sequence into the approach when you reach the leg to the IAF. It will still sequence in to the approach at that time.

Really, the "activating approach" is bad naming on Garmin's part and creates a ton of confusion, even with pilots that use these units all the time. All the Activate Approach function does is serve as a shortcut for creating a Direct-To to the IAF.

Edited by MattNischan
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, MattNischan said:

In Garmin-land, not activating the approach doesn't mean the GPS won't sequence into the approach when you reach the leg to the IAF. It will still sequence in to the approach at that time.

Really, the "activating approach" is bad naming on Garmin's part and creates a ton of confusion, even with pilots that use these units all the time. All the Activate Approach function does is serve as a shortcut for creating a Direct-To to the IAF.

I see, now it makes sense.  Much appreciated!

@mikeklimek  Are you not finding that if you don't activate it flies over the airport first before going to the first leg of the approach? When making my flightplan, I always pick a spot along it where I plan on Activating the approach just so I don't have to fly to the airport first.

James

1 hour ago, Phantoms said:

@mikeklimek  Are you not finding that if you don't activate it flies over the airport first before going to the first leg of the approach? When making my flightplan, I always pick a spot along it where I plan on Activating the approach just so I don't have to fly to the airport first.

I can't say that I've seen that specifically.  In my last flight, for example, I had my flight plan loaded, and about half way through I entered and loaded the approach.  As I got closer to the airport the approach took over with the gps taking me to the IAF.

OK, I thought you meant the approach was part of your flight plan from the flight planner. I've found that if I select the approach in the flight planner beforehand, then I have to activate it in the GNS530 mod for it to work, else it will fly to the airport first. 

James