Sign in to follow this  
jcomm

FENIX A320... growing on me ...

14 minutes ago, gdjak said:

Looking forward to the VNAV v2 shootout: Fenix vs. FBW, since both are rewrites 😄

Assuming you mean Fenix vs PMDG for "VNAV v2" 🙂 , FBW's VNAV is still on its way to v1 but looking very good in their experimental branch... in any case as Aamir just chimed in, it's more a rewrite of the computational math... either way sounds promising and looking forward to all the v2/v3/etc of all aircrafts' refinements!

Edited by lwt1971

Len
1980s: Sublogic FS II on C64 ---> 1990s: Flight Unlimited I/II, MSFS 95/98 ---> 2000s/2010s: FS/X, P3D, XP ---> 2020+: MSFS
Current system: i9 13900K, RTX 4090, 64GB DDR5 4800 RAM, 4TB NVMe SSD

22 minutes ago, Aamir said:

This one.... oh this one. This one is personal.

So much so that we've stopped trying to fix or adjust the code to be more representative - and just thrown all the math out the window, and literally redid it all. The results are very promising in the prototype builds. Still more testing to go, but it's coming along.

That’s awesome news, and thanks for letting us know here on Avsim! 

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

“Intensify the forward batteries. I don’t want anything to get through”

Just now, lwt1971 said:

Assuming you mean Fenix vs PMDG for "VNAV v2" 🙂 , FBW's VNAV is still on its way to v1 but looking very good in their experimental branch... in any case as Aamir just chimed in above it's more a rewrite of the computational math... either way sounds promising and looking forward to all the v2/v3/etc of all aircrafts' refinements!

PMDGs V2 has been in the works for .. like 10 years now?

FBW's VNAV v1 is apparently being replaced soon'ish (tm) instead of getting incremental updates, so it's basically straight to version 2.0. Just thought it was a funny parallel ;)

1 hour ago, gdjak said:

FBW's VNAV v1 is apparently being replaced soon'ish (tm) instead of getting incremental updates, so it's basically straight to version 2.0. Just thought it was a funny parallel 😉

Ah, I didn't know FBW was replacing its VNAV code in the experimental branch soon, instead of incremental updates.

Edited by lwt1971

Len
1980s: Sublogic FS II on C64 ---> 1990s: Flight Unlimited I/II, MSFS 95/98 ---> 2000s/2010s: FS/X, P3D, XP ---> 2020+: MSFS

3 hours ago, rka said:

They're removing a few of the (partly very old) stock planes and the A330 will be added new in 12.

Yes, I know. But why? Do they have time to spend? With such a small team and the mobile version as the main cash cow, it does not sound like a good idea to spend time on something as complicated as an Airbus.

Paul Schmidt

We're fools to make war on our brothers in arms.

2 hours ago, lwt1971 said:

Ah, I didn't know FBW was replacing its VNAV code in the experimental branch soon, instead of incremental updates.

It's mostly a re-organization into a better framework, the base principles are still the same. Predictions-based path generator with performance calculations based on flight/engine model data to generate flyable vertical paths. I think the main objective is to make it easier to solve bugs that exist currently.

Edited by holland786
  • Like 3

Developer - FlyByWire Simulations

24 minutes ago, holland786 said:

It's mostly a re-organization into a better framework, the base principles are still the same. Predictions-based path generator with performance calculations based on flight/engine model data to generate flyable vertical paths. I think the main objective is to make it easier to solve bugs that exist currently.

I see thanks for the insights... great work as always, looking forward to how the NEO evolves and then the A380 :)

• Like 1

Len

8 hours ago, lwt1971 said:

@jcomm any thoughts on autoland and crosswinds/etc?, where the wind speeds are within autoland limits... interested in your (and others') thoughts on how the Fenix performs at and below those limits (https://mediawiki.ivao.aero/index.php?title=Airbus_320_Limitations)

Consistently lands off center line,within auto land wind limits.

Jim Driscoll, MSI Raider GE76 12UHS-607 17.3" Gaming Laptop Computer - Blue Intel Core i9 12th Gen 12900HK 1.8GHz Processor; NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti 16GB GDDR6; 64GB DDR5-4800 RAM; Dual M2 2TB Solid State Drives.Driving a Sony KD-50X75, and KDL-48R470B @ 4k 3724x2094,MSFS 2020, 30 FPS on Ultra Settings.

Jorg/Asobo: “Weather is a core part of our simulator, and we will strive to make it as accurate as possible.”Also Jorg/Asobo: “We are going to limit the weather API to rain intensity only.”

One thing I would love but it will never happen because it's so rare, is a HUD. 

spacer.png

Edited by bendead
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

12 hours ago, jcomm said:

OTOH, given the attention to detail that LR has announced regarding the modelling of Airbus in the next version of XP, I can't wait to try & compare the two sims when it comes to Airbus FBW and systems simulation 🙂

Why wait? You can compare it now to say, the Toliss or by far the most commonly flown payware Airliner in X-Plane - the JARDesiign A320 which at the time I bought it was exactly the same price as the Fenix.

https://developer.x-plane.com/2017/02/usage-data-for-x-plane-10-11/

Edited by jarmstro
  • Upvote 1

The Fenix is the first A320 I've purchased without any regrets. I have purchased so many planes in x-plane like Ramzess 777 professional, JARDesign A320, Flight Factor A320 Pro, FF A350XWB and they all felt like low quality planes with horrendous texturing and modeling. Which is probably why I have such a hatred towards X-Plane as a platform. I invested so much money in addons such as skymaxx pro weather, etc. just to make the sim look nice but it never satisfied me. Sorry for the rant and gradually getting off topic.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

Bought the Fenix this week too. Very much exceeding expectations. Feels like a very solidly designed addon. A joy to fly. I was quite skeptical and thought everyone was a bit hysterical but the hype is justified.

• Like 1

Regards,

Max    

(YSSY)

i7-12700K | Corsair PC4-28700 DDR4 32Gb | Gigabyte RTX4090 24Gb | Gigabyte Z690 AORUS ELITE DDR4 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

10 hours ago, flyingpauls said:

Yes, I know. But why? Do they have time to spend? With such a small team and the mobile version as the main cash cow, it does not sound like a good idea to spend time on something as complicated as an Airbus.

When I asked the same thing on the XP forum some time ago, people didn't seem to like the question 😄

• Like 3

Laminar Research customer -- Asobo/MS customer -- not an X-Aviation customer - or am I? 😉

GPU vs CPU rendering modes appear to have the same effect on my PC, which not being bad is certainly not top...

I have a Ryzen 5700x, 32 GB RAM and an RTX 3060 Ti, and Fenix is smooth as silk, but yesterday during a circuit at an USA Airport ( Atlantic City ) where it was windy and I wanted to test the Airbus, just before touchdown I experienced a strange and severe stutter, an event I have experienced also with other aircraft in MFS, including the PMDG 737 and the FBW A320, although rarely.

I decided to try the same circuit a 2nd time and that turn around no sttters at all, but I have set the rendering to GPU GTX 3060 Ti mode and will keep it that way for testing.

Anyway the Fenix is smooth as silk, and with MEDIUM in the simulator graphics settings for the electronic instruments display I have also great fluidity.

@rka and others discussing also LR / XP ... 

When I referred to XP upcoming airbuses I did it due to a long time "personal agenda" whoose principle is that of not forgetting about platforms which are also a reference for me and just because I feel amazed by the scenery and weather rendering in MFS, and now also by the 3 airliners I am running in it ( should be 4, but I am never in the mood to play the DC-6, although I like it very much too ! ), in the order I started using them:

.) FBW A320

.) PMDG 737

.) Fenix A320

I don't forget X-Plane and the pleasurable moments airliners like the Toliss A319 and the Zibo 737 provided me.

I am on hold ( uninstalled 🙂 XP11 ) for XP12, and look fwd into whatever it brings, and I should say I am sure I will not be decepted.

Honestly this turn around it'll probably be the first time the two platforms will have to remain installed in parallel on my rig because I really can't give up on the delightful experience of using the FBW, the PMDG 737 and now the Fenix A320, nor the scenery, weather rendering and futue developments on flight dynamics, ground physics, weather modeling, etc.... that will keep coming with future MFS updates, for sure the most dynamic ever version of Microsoft Flight Simulator. I'm excentric as Humpty puts it, but I am not blind or stupid .... I see and taste and benefit from what's enjoyable in any platform, and criticize it for what I do not like, irrespective of being it MS, XP, DCS, IL, Condor, ELITE, AEROWINX, ...

I can even tell you what my ultimate test always is, whenever a new flight simulation platform becomes available and has a glider for it 🙂  - testing glider aerodynamics / performance and also weather... The day I find a perfect rendition of such a simulation, or at least one that gathers the best aspects of simulationg soaring flights that I have found in different platforms but unfortunately not all at the same time in a single one, I believe I will seriously turn into an addict of that platform 🙂 (*)

(*) As I have been saying here and at other forums, gliders and soaring weather still leave a LOT to be desired in either XP11 or MFS.... a LOT ....

Back to the Fenix A320 - I will try to test it as much as I can, this weekend if possible under x-wind takeoff and landing ops, including autolands.

Edited by jcomm
  • Like 1

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

2 minutes ago, jcomm said:

@rka and others discussing also LR / XP ... 

When I referred to XP I did it due to a long time "personal agenda" whoose principle is that of not forgetting about platforms which are also a reference for me

You brought XP up in your OP.

Now just imagine what would have happened if I had went to the XP forum and left a post there that ends with me saying I were really looking forward to the next update to MSFS and how great that will be.

I'd probably have been given a holiday by the mods.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Laminar Research customer -- Asobo/MS customer -- not an X-Aviation customer - or am I? 😉