Sign in to follow this  
vladohd

PMDG 737 speed brake, aircraft is not slowing down.

I have a problem with slowing down the 737 during the approach. I can see the FMC message " drag required " when I set the speed brake, I can see in the cockpit that the lever is fully deployed, and on the wings, the speed brakes are up, so everything seems to be ok, but it has absolutely no impact on speed. The aircraft is not slowing down, the descent rate is not increasing, and the engines are not increasing power. Nothing is happening just the animation. I also tried to deploy speed brakes during the cruise, animations are ok, but no impact on speed, or on engines. is it some knowing bug? or am I missing something? Any tips?

Just a thought do you have another key binding to the speed brake ? might want to check

Rich Sennett

Perhaps some additional information like altitude, speed, FMA readings, N1, etc., might help.

• Like 1

John Wiesenfeld KPBI | FAA PPL/SEL/IFR in a galaxy long ago and far away | VATSIM PILOT P2

i7-11700K, 32 GB DDR4 3.6 GHz, MSI RTX 3070ti, Dell 4K monitor

The speedbrakes on the NG are not effective.  It's been said many times over that you can't rely on them to do much slowing. You could be descending at 2000 feet per minute and actually gain speed with them deployed and engines idle.  I don't know the actual numbers, but I imagine someone could give you better example of what you should expect to see.  I have accidentally left them deployed on approach and didn't even know it.

In the real world, accommodations are often made knowing that modern jets are much harder to slow.  The 3:1 glide ratio is more like 4:1.  ATC would typically give you appropriate altitudes and speeds you can actually meet.  Some STARs are not very friendly about helping you slow down and meet the altitudes to get configured on final.  I noticed the other day that the JANNY5 arrival into KBUR was the best one I've seen so far.  It was essentially a 1000 foot per minute descent all the way.

• Like 1

- Chris

Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | Intel Core i9 13900KF | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB | 64GB DDR5 SDRAM | Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling | 1TB & 2TB Samsung Gen 4 SSD  | 1000 Watt Gold PSU |  Windows 11 Pro | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Thrustmaster TCA Captain X Airbus | Asus ROG 38" 4k IPS Monitor (PG38UQ)

Asus Maximus VII Hero motherboard | Intel i7 4790k CPU | MSI GTX 970 4 GB video card | Corsair DDR3 2133 32GB SDRAM | Corsair H50 water cooler | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD (2) | EVGA 1000 watt PSU - Retired

Orlaam is absolute right.

There are real world pilots that stated this clearly. 737NG is very hard to slow down.

Most effective is to drop gear and increase flaps, but you have to be at low enough airspeed to not overspeed.

Some STARS are tough and you need to really pay attention, maybe even deploy speed brakes before more drag is called for.

The spoilers or brakes are good at spoiling lift once touched down, but not very effective as speed reduction devices.

Keep a close eye on the descent profile, and as soon as you start to deviate high, do something. Like take over from VNAV. Or if really bad do a turn around a holding pattern, some approaches require a turn around a hold as part of the approach. Such as ILS 29 into KPWM with ENE as via.

Edited by 177B
  • Like 1

Pit.jpg

Com GA Pilot, Retired • MSFS 2020 • Gigabyte 8th gen lga1151 motherboard z2370 hd3, i5 8600 8th gen 4.3ghz, Thermaltake 750w power supply, 4 x 8gb ddr4 dimm, MSI force GTO 1070 8gb ddr5, 4 SSD's • 4K main display with 3 HD displays, one is a touch screen. Often used as 3 1080P NVIDEA surround screens and one HD touchscreen for AirManager

1 hour ago, vladohd said:

I have a problem with slowing down the 737 during the approach. I can see the FMC message " drag required " when I set the speed brake, I can see in the cockpit that the lever is fully deployed, and on the wings, the speed brakes are up, so everything seems to be ok, but it has absolutely no impact on speed. The aircraft is not slowing down, the descent rate is not increasing, and the engines are not increasing power. Nothing is happening just the animation. I also tried to deploy speed brakes during the cruise, animations are ok, but no impact on speed, or on engines. is it some knowing bug? or am I missing something? Any tips?

It has been said by wise old 737 driver that with a 737 you do not descend and slow down.  You can do one or the other but not both at the same time.

Ditto to what the others said, about the effectiveness of the speed brakes.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Lower the gear next time. It will introduce a lot more drag than the speed brakes.

The common saying, as Rhett said above, is "You can descend or slow down, but not both." But the gear should help you not gain-speed.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Take-offs are optional, landings are mandatory.
The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.
To make a small fortune in aviation you must start with a large fortune.

There's nothing less important than the runway behind you and the altitude above you.
It's better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air, than in the air wishing you were on the ground.

Another item I've heard mentioned by Boeing drivers: Above 250 knots the speed brake is more affectual than below 250 knots.

Here's another speed brake note: With the Airbus, the speed brake will only deploy 1/2 of full extent with the autopilot on.

Another one: The speed brake on the BEA 146 looks funny.

Richard Chafey

i7-8700K @4.8GHz - 32Gb @3200  - ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero - EVGA RTX3090 - 3840x2160 Res - KBSim Gunfighter - Thrustmaster Warthog dual throttles - Crosswind V3 pedals

MSFS 2020, DCS

Yes to all the above comments, but the speed brakes do actually meet expectations so long as those expectations are reasonable. If you wait for the DRAG REQUIRED message on the CDU, you're likely to bust either a speed or altitude restriction. From my reading of various websites, it appears that the VNAV descent function slowly gained reliability as the FMC versions were updated over the last 15 years or so. RNAV STARs need to be carefully monitored and the aircraft's energy status managed with a combination of throttle, pitch, and spoiler deployment.

• Like 1

John Wiesenfeld KPBI | FAA PPL/SEL/IFR in a galaxy long ago and far away | VATSIM PILOT P2

i7-11700K, 32 GB DDR4 3.6 GHz, MSI RTX 3070ti, Dell 4K monitor

7 hours ago, jrw4 said:

Yes to all the above comments, but the speed brakes do actually meet expectations so long as those expectations are reasonable. If you wait for the DRAG REQUIRED message on the CDU, you're likely to bust either a speed or altitude restriction. From my reading of various websites, it appears that the VNAV descent function slowly gained reliability as the FMC versions were updated over the last 15 years or so. RNAV STARs need to be carefully monitored and the aircraft's energy status managed with a combination of throttle, pitch, and spoiler deployment.

In addition to the comments above

I would highly recommend  doing some  forward planning. If you are expecting a STAR with a lot of "at or above" altitude restrictions. Carefully set the most critical ones to a firm number by removing the A from the altitude restriction so that the aircraft doesn't find itself having to meet drastic descent profiles in critical phases where energy management is important. Got to be ahead of the AC or you will be chasing stuff all the way  down and that's the last thing you want.

With the removal of some ambiguity on the vnav waypoints i find myself not needing to reach for the speedbrakes that much anymore if at all.

• Like 2

AMD Ryzen 5900X / Asus Strix B550 F Gaming Wifi / Powercolor AMD 6800XT Red Devil / 32GB Gskill Trident Neo DDR4 3600 / 2x ADATA XPG 8200pro NVME / Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280 / EVGA Supernova 750 GT PSU / Lian Li Lancool II Mesh Performance /

Viotek 3440x1440p Freesync / Schiit Bifrost DAC+ Schiit Asgard AMP /  Sennheiser HD 558 / Thrustmaster T.16000M + TFRP Rudders

12 hours ago, vladohd said:

A RL 737 pilot said that the best way to deal with that is to make a steeper descend than required as to level off in time to loose that speed again. But, as mentioned, prepare the descent and manage your speed prior to the descend.

Menno 

i7-11700, 16GB, 1 TB SSD, 2 TB HDD, RTX 3070, Windows 11, MSFS 2020 DeLuxe, P3D 4.5

10 hours ago, RichieFly said:

Here's another speed brake note: With the Airbus, the speed brake will only deploy 1/2 of full extent with the autopilot on.

Only half true. That goes for the A320. But ONLY the A320. Not for the A319 or A321.

• Like 2

As others have noted, it has always been the case that the 737, going right back to its 100 and 200 series, is a slippery aeroplane which is difficult to slow down when descending, which is why it's always been the case that 737 pilots occasionally use the landing gear as an unofficial speed brake.

However, if you're still a bit hot and high on approach, there are two things you can try; one is to sideslip it to lose some speed and height, the other is to do what you should always be prepared to do with any aeroplane apart from a glider, and that's go around.

• Upvote 1

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Be in front of your airplane and you'll be fine.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Running i5-9600K @ 4.8ghz - 32GB DDR4 3200mhz - GTX 3070.

49 minutes ago, Chock said:

As others have noted, it has always been the case that the 737, going right back to its 100 and 200 series, is a slippery aeroplane which is difficult to slow down when descending, which is why it's always been the case that 737 pilots occasionally use the landing gear as an unofficial speed brake.

However, if you're still a bit hot and high on approach, there are two things you can try; one is to sideslip it to lose some speed and height, the other is to do what you should always be prepared to do with any aeroplane apart from a glider, and that's go around.

You absolutely do not cross control a jet airliner into a sideslip to lose height/speed, at least not in real life.

Speedbrakes are OK on the 737, but they work much better at high speeds as drag is proportional to the square of the speed. 

You absolutely can 'go down and slow down,' we do it all the time. The reduction in total energy state does not change, but being low and a bit fast is slightly easier to remedy than being high, so we often choose to go down before we slow down. 

I don't own the PMDG 737 so can't comment on the specifics of the sim.

Edited by 2reds2whites
  • Like 2