Sign in to follow this  
birdguy

NASA to start UFO investigations...

2 hours ago, martin-w said:

I didn't personally, I just happen to have the same opinion. But yes, you should consider that an individual with a PhD in a particular field is likely to have a belter understand than you have. And thus, be able top speculate based on the knowledge they have amassed while studying that field, better than you can. Your speculation would be based on ignorance, their speculation would be based on expertise and knowledge of the field. 

PhD in what field? Are you seriously trying to tell me that a PhD in physics / maths / whatever fantasising about what ET can or can not be like in order to attain Star Trek technology is 'expertise' that I need to take seriously? People with ZERO empirical evidence of said ETs? Are you for real? 

The utter arrogance and hubris in believing that an astronomer (or whatever) has any deeper insight into a universe that is almost totally terra incognita is mind-blowingly naive. Regardless if you share their opinion. 

But I promise I will leave you to your fantasies now. 

Richard

7950x3d   |   32Gb 6000mHz RAM   |   8Tb NVme   |   RTX 4090    |    MSFS    |    P3D    |      XP12  

18 minutes ago, Swe_Richard said:

My fantasy is that there are good aliens and bad aliens and we don't know which will get to us first.

• Upvote 1

Dugald Walker

23 minutes ago, dmwalker said:

My fantasy is that there are good aliens and bad aliens and we don't know which will get to us first.

Yeah, I would probably guess you are right about that. 

Richard

7950x3d   |   32Gb 6000mHz RAM   |   8Tb NVme   |   RTX 4090    |    MSFS    |    P3D    |      XP12  

3 hours ago, Swe_Richard said:

PhD in what field? Are you seriously trying to tell me that a PhD in physics / maths / whatever fantasising about what ET can or can not be like in order to attain Star Trek technology is 'expertise' that I need to take seriously? People with ZERO empirical evidence of said ETs? Are you for real?

You seem to be getting rude. Not necessary. Seems like this is completive for you rather than an interesting debate.

I see you are still diverting and not answering the question I posed. That's what the conversation was about.

Physics and maths no. Astrophysicists are the individuals who consider,  study, the Fermi Paradox and concepts like the great filter and the Drake Equation. For example, astrophysicist Michael Hart  studied the Fermi Paradox and published a detailed examination way back in the 1970's. And astronomer and astrophysicist Frank Drake formulated the Drake equation. Many Astrophysicists have studied the concepts since. Nobody has said that my opinion, their opinions, any opinion is definitive but I'd regard their opinions, the opinions of individuals who understood the concepts and had studied the concept, as standing more chance of being close to reality rather than the opinions of someone who wouldn't know what the possible great filters are unless he Googled them and probably hadn't heard about the concept of the great filter until toady. An astrophysicists speculation is likely to stand more chance of being closer to the mark than an individuals speculation who doesn't understand the basic astrophysical variables that relate to this.

Here the question again. You don't want to answer it and that's fine, but here it is again for clarification:

If you don't agree with me (and many scientists) that a highly aggressive, warlike species, with a natural tendency to kill and destroy each other would be UNLIKELY (not impossible) to survive for a few thousand years longer than we have, in order to learn enough about the laws of reality to develop an FTL system that enables them to traverse countless lightyears at unimaginable velocity... then explain how that is LIKELY rather than my opinion (and many scientists opinions) that it's potentially UNLIKELY? How would they survive? 

Which species is likely to last long enough to develop FTL? Planet A: full of rival nations all with nuclear weapons (or worse) pointed at each other, that hate each other and would like to take their territory? Or planet B: where all nations live in peace and have abandoned their weapons of mass destruction?

Edited by martin-w

2 hours ago, dmwalker said:

Again, I would say possibly not. If we speculate that it takes, lets say, another 1000 years for us to develop the technology to traverse the stars... then by that time we will have nanotechnology weapons, even more destructive nuclear weapons, biological weapons, particle beams, even antimatter weapons for all we know, space based weapons, and of course, devastating weapons relating to physics we are yet to discover. Obviously we stand little chance of surviving for the next 1000 years unless we become less hostile. As we've already said, the doomsday clock is seconds away from midnight already.

Does the technological capability for “self-destruction” grow faster than the political capacity to control and restraint it? If so, then the uneven growth rates between technology and politics could provide a theoretical explanation for the “Fermi Paradox”—or the contradiction between the high probability of the existence of intelligent life, and the absence of empirical evidence for it “out there” in the universe. This paper postulates the anarchy-technology dilemma as a solution to the Fermi Paradox: in essence, intelligent civilizations develop the technological capability to destroy themselves before establishing the political structures to prevent their self-destruction.

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/02604027.2020.1819116?journalCode=gwof20

Make sense to me. Makes sense that if there are any species out there with FTL capability, they will be non-violent. The violent ones will have vaporised themselves....Possibly! Speculatively!  😉

Edited by martin-w

3 hours ago, Swe_Richard said:

Please.

46 minutes ago, martin-w said:

Physics and maths no. Astrophysicists are the individuals

And astrobiologists.

• Like 1

Dugald Walker

Are there aliens walking amongst us? 

Are there any aliens on this forum?

........reading back through this thread I'm starting to suspect there are 😂

i7-4790k @ 4.4ghz for the moment. Asus z87-k mobo. GTX 1080, 32gb ram. couple of SSDs....Saitek X52

3 minutes ago, GaryK said:

Are there any aliens on this forum?

Anyone who says there are no aliens are probably themselves aliens trying to keep their presence a secret.

Dugald Walker

Nobody can say there are or there aren't aliens until every corner and nook and cranny of the universe has been searched.  And yes, there just might be aliens among us and posting on this forum.

Noel

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

11 hours ago, birdguy said:

And yes, there just might be aliens among us and posting on this forum.

Metamaterial cloaking is the usage of metamaterials in an invisibility cloak. This is accomplished by manipulating the paths traversed by light through a novel optical material. Metamaterials direct and control the propagation and transmission of specified parts of the light spectrum and demonstrate the potential to render an object seemingly invisible. Metamaterial cloaking, based on transformation optics, describes the process of shielding something from view by controlling electromagnetic radiation. Objects in the defined location are still present, but incident waves are guided around them without being affected by the object itself.[1][2][3][4][5]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metamaterial_cloaking

https://bigthink.com/starts-with-a-bang/invisibility-cloak-183582/

The invisibility to radar, which is microwave-to-radio wavelength electromagnetic radiation, might have been the first step, but recent developments in metamaterials have extended this even further, bending light around an object and rendering it truly undetectable.

If we can do the above, now, with metamaterial cloaking tech... what can an alien civilisation capable of visiting us do?

They may well be in the room with us now, or hovering above our heads in a giant flying saucer. How would we know.

7 hours ago, martin-w said:

They may well be in the room with us now, or hovering above our heads in a giant flying saucer. How would we know.

We wouldn't know.  Nor do I think we would want to know.

Noel

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

On 6/13/2022 at 8:38 AM, martin-w said:

That would be the giant flying saucer come to collect Liz Truss and return her to her home planet?

On 6/13/2022 at 3:38 AM, martin-w said:

If we can do the above, now, with metamaterial cloaking tech..

I have this vision of everyone wearing clothes incorporating metamaterials so that all one can see is disembodied heads moving along the street.

Dugald Walker

It is more likely that developed civilizations around the universe would send probes for space exploration then manned missions, this is true with us too, the large majority of our space exploration has been unmanned

Matthew Kane