Sign in to follow this  
birdguy

NASA to start UFO investigations...

One being that hasn't been mentioned yet is Sasquatch or Big Foot.  Maybe they are alien creatures and because they look so different want to remain hidden and only come to earth in remote wilderness areas.  Maybe they are on vacation.

One thing that puzzles me about them is no Sasquatch remains have ever been found.  Where do they go to die?  Or does Scotty beam them back up?

Noel

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

23 minutes ago, birdguy said:

Maybe they are on vacation.

This ties in with the theory that aliens consider Earth to be a nature preserve.

Dugald Walker

1 hour ago, sightseer said:

Why would (and how) a ghost go to the trouble of taking apart two interconnected inconsequential pieces of old metal?  Its very strange to me but I saw it. 

Do you mean you actually saw a ghost separate two pieces of metal or do you mean you saw two pieces of metal moving apart and assumed a ghost was doing it?

Dugald Walker

30 minutes ago, dmwalker said:

Do you mean you actually saw a ghost separate two pieces of metal or do you mean you saw two pieces of metal moving apart and assumed a ghost was doing it?

I mean I saw the two separated pieces and if you know what I'm talking about then it isnt possible for those two pieces to become separated without cutting them with a hacksaw or something (maybe bolt cutters) but there was no sign that they had been cut and my friend told me what had happened and I believe him because I knew him to be honest and I had my own personal experience at that place.

here's a pic of a similar screw eye hook latch.  the hook and its screw eye had been separated somehow.

bGyeULc.png

Edited by sightseer

|   Dave   |    I've been around for most of my life.

There's always a sunset happening somewhere in the world that somebody is enjoying.

20 hours ago, birdguy said:

However, if they had natural resources we wanted such as minerals or oil or timber then they would become a labor pool like the Africans who mine diamonds today.

Us yes, but aliens not so much. As we discussed a while back, asteroid belts are jam packed with resources. One asteroid not too far from Earth has precious metals worth $11.65 trillion. No need to obtain them here. Advanced aliens aren't likely to be interested in oil of course, or timer or manual labour. But of course we can only speculate. 

20 hours ago, birdguy said:

No evidence doesn't mean not possible

True, which is why I would always revert to plausibility and probability. And personally I would assign ghosts and spirits as haveine an even lower probability than UFO's being aliens. Always non-zero probability though.

16 hours ago, dmwalker said:

To get back a little closer to the original topic, how practical could a von Neumann self-replicating probe ever be? How many different manufacturing processes would it need in order to replicate and assemble the materials necessary for the physical structure, the electronics, the propellant, etc. for an equal-sized replica probe?

Well we would be dealing with a race far more advanced, perhaps thousands of years more advanced that us, who probably had perfected manufacturing on the atomic scale. Similar to a Star Trek replicator. I'm sure you probably saw the episode of DS9 where Sisko decided to mine the mouth to the wormhole. They did so with self replicating mines. When one was destroyed a new one was replicated. Science fiction of course, but I see something like it as feasible for a super advanced race. Material's aren't an issue for a Von Neuman probe, they would in theory have entire moons to mine. 

11 hours ago, sightseer said:

I mean I saw the two separated pieces and if you know what I'm talking about then it isnt possible for those two pieces to become separated without cutting them with a hacksaw or something (maybe bolt cutters) but there was no sign that they had been cut and my friend told me what had happened and I believe him because I knew him to be honest and I had my own personal experience at that place.

here's a pic of a similar screw eye hook latch.  the hook and its screw eye had been separated somehow.

Okay, I see what you mean now you've posted the image. 

11 hours ago, sightseer said:

my friend told me what had happened and I believe him because I knew him to be honest and I had my own personal experience at that place.

Unfortunately, you may have the opinion of your friend that he was honest, but we don't know that definitely. No offence intended re your friend, but human psychology is a strange thing, and human beings do all manner of things we wouldn't expect. And yes, those we believe to be truthful can sometimes be anything but. We would need more evidence that just "something your friend said". 

What experience at that place did you have? 

6 minutes ago, martin-w said:

And personally I would assign ghosts and spirits as haveine an even lower probability than UFO's being aliens.

Ghosts/spirits and aliens are all equally unknown to you and yet you assign them unequal probability.

1 minute ago, martin-w said:

What experience at that place did you have? 

Hmmm.  The last time I brought this topic up you said you believed me because you knew me to be honest.  and now you don't even know what Im talking about.

Lets get back to the much more likely "aliens from other planets"

There's always a sunset happening somewhere in the world that somebody is enjoying.

Like the saying goes.....extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. Without that, they are just interesting stories.

• Like 1

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

6 minutes ago, Christopher Low said:

Like the saying goes.....extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. Without that, they are just interesting stories.

Well, just for the record if it isnt obvious, you'll never get anything more than my story because thats all I have.  and I dont need or care to prove anything but if Truth is your goal then one should keep an open mind.

"God is Spirit.  He who worships must worship in Truth and in spirit"  (without getting religious)

Edited by sightseer

I am not criticising you, Dave. I am fascinated by the paranormal, and wish that I could have an experience of my own. However, if I did encounter a UFO or ghost, I would expect you to be sceptical of my claim unless I have convincing evidence to back it up. That is the only sensible thing to do. However, that does not mean that I think that you are lying about your own personal experience. I just have no way of verifying it.

Edited by Christopher Low
  • Like 2

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

3 hours ago, martin-w said:

Well we would be dealing with a race far more advanced, perhaps thousands of years more advanced that us, who probably had perfected manufacturing on the atomic scale

I was thinking of what humans could do because there seems to be some interest in that. You may be familiar with the following referenced article which states that "We conclude that small-scale, partially self-replicating probes are feasible near-term.":

https://arxiv.org/abs/2005.12303#:~:text=Self%2Dreplicating%20probes%20are%20spacecraft,the%20efficiency%20of%20space%20exploration.

• Like 1

Dugald Walker

Us yes, but aliens not so much

But asteroids don't have populations of people with inferior technology to use as labor.

Noel

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

17 hours ago, sightseer said:

Ghosts/spirits and aliens are all equally unknown to you and yet you assign them unequal probability.

Of course I do. We know organic life is possible, we are it. We known technology including spacecraft is possible, we have it. So we know that organic life existing in the universe is also possible. So yes, aliens are possible. And yes, we know that its likely that an aliens species is out there with a far greater technological capability than us. "Ghosts" on the other hand are just claims, claims with no current scientific basis. So "Ghosts" get a lower probability of being factual. 

17 hours ago, sightseer said:

Hmmm.  The last time I brought this topic up you said you believed me because you knew me to be honest.  and now you don't even know what Im talking about.

Actually, I don't know you to be honest. I know almost nothing about you. I may have meant I believe that you had an experience you cant explain.

If I've forgotten the precise details of your encounter, please elaborate. You say it relates to the same location, "in that place" so I'd like you to tell me again so I can think about it in an unbiased way and give an opinion.  

Edited by martin-w

14 hours ago, birdguy said:

But asteroids don't have populations of people with inferior technology to use as labor.

Noel

What labour? Labour isn't required for a self-replicating, automated mining probe. I'm sure you've seen car factory videos of hundreds of machines all building cars in synchrony. Now project forward a thousand years or more and consider what an advanced spacefaring race could do with automation.

Labour isn't required for a self-replicating, automated mining probe.

Yes, but at a remote location far from home on a planet that hasn't the technology the home planet has and the time and expense of bringing in machinery why not use a labor force that is already there?

If we have self replicating  automated mining probes why aren't they used in places in Africa where diamonds are still mined by cheap human labor (Angola, Congo, Guinea, Liberia)?  Same with some salt deposits in Africa (Nigeria, Bangladesh).  And in gold mines in South America (Bolivia, Columbia, Ecuador).  If cheap, organic, mining machines are already available on site why go through the expense of transporting expensive ones millions of miles?

Right here on earth where we are enlightened and have the technology child and forced labor abound.

https://www.dol.gov/agencies/ilab/reports/child-labor/list-of-goods?items_per_page=10&field_exp_good_target_id=All&tid=All&combine=&field_exp_exploitation_type_target_id_1=All&page=32

What makes you think an advanced civilization would be any mkore enlightened than we are?

Noel