Sign in to follow this  
Guest weeniemcween

Real Air's SF 260

We all get frustrated at MSFS and add-on products that fail to meet our (sometimes over) expectations. And why not, when you pay half again as much, as you paid, for MSFS, you expect a lot. Below is an email I sent to Rob Young of Real Air. Below it, is his reply. I think the reason for this post will be apparent to anyone who reads both emails. I flew RF4's in the USAF as well as GA aircraft. I have over 2500 hours in real cockpits and the sore butt to prove it. Last night after much thought and consideration I purchased your SF260.To say it succinctly, I was amazed. This aircraft is as close to flying a real airplane as I have seen in MSFS. I was grinning from ear to ear, as I tried turning in slow flight and, every time I would get too slow, she'll buffet. Of course, I had to try and spin her. It has been 15 years since I spun an airplane. Almost got vertigo and was grinning, as she went around and around.Please feel free to use any of this in any advertizing you may do. This air plane as already given me my money's worth.John P. MiguezP.S. Can I convince you to do my favorite airplane, the T-38C? Please, please :) Thanks very much for the generous feedback. The best advertising is to tell others on the various Sim forums (like Avsim) why you like the SF260 so much. We do not advertise and we get by solely on personal recommendations.It's always appreciated when real pilots give us positive feedback, and of course we design our aircraft to appeal to pilots who know how an aircraft should fly.Kind Regards,Rob Young - RealAir Simulations

John
My first SIM was a Link Trainer. My last was a T-6 II
AMD Ryzen 7 7800 X3D@ 5.1 GHz, 32 GB DDR5 RAM - 3 M2 Drives. 1 TB Boot, 2 TB Sim drive, 2 TB Add-on Drive, 6TB Backup data hard drive
RTX 3080 10GB VRAM, Meta Quest 3 VR Headset

Agreed - I have it too...what a great job they did!!! I love the new camera angles too!!

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Guest hassata

T'is sweet, and for my money nothing else compares- with no fps penalty to boot. Its an IFR dream as well, with super-smooth vc guages. But be sure to try some of the stock stuff as well-the maule isn't half bad.

Guest Bottle

I have it and like flying it in FSX. However, is there any way to change the very sterile instrument panel? You know, put some skuff marks and scratches on it like a real plane that's been flown for a few years. As it stands at the moment, it looks like what it is, a computer animation. It doesn't even look like a pristine just-out-of-the-factory panel. It's just too plain and perfect.

Yup, I love it too. I like taxying with the hood open (anyone know how to get rid of that "Exit Open" text line)and the metallic sound when you start a spin.Try opening the hood in flight and see what happens, it behaves as you would expect with a bubble top, all sorts of nasties.Tis a great aircraft for FSX and frame rate friendly. I noticed how many scenery screen shots in this forum have the SF260 wing showing. It must be popular but that is not surprising.Bring on the Duke Rob. :-)John

John

Rig: Gigabyte B550 AORUS Master Motherboard, AMD Ryzen 7 3800XT CPU, 32GB DDR4 Ram, Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super Graphics,  Samsung Odyssey  wide view display (5120 x 1440 pixels) with VSYNC on.

Ifr dream for sure! The problem is I can't fly anything else after being spoiled by it and what I really need/want is a twin with these capabilities. I know one is coming from Real Air though-I hope soon!

>I have it and like flying it in FSX. However, is there any>way to change the very sterile instrument panel? You know, put>some skuff marks and scratches on it like a real plane that's>been flown for a few years. As it stands at the moment, it>looks like what it is, a computer animation. It doesn't even>look like a pristine just-out-of-the-factory panel. It's just>too plain and perfect.If they want to make it a bit more like an out of the factory new panel, then fine! But............I can't seem to stand beat up & worn airplanes! :D It's the reason I'd always tend to rent the newer stuff!But if any changes are made, don't take away from the fluidity of the instruments or a decrease in frame rates. :-hah L.Adamson

Yep, it's the first add-on I purchased for FSX, after experiencing their awesome SF 260 and Spitfire for FS9. RAS are top of the heap IMHO.Now can someone help me with the SF 260 autopilot? When I have a VOR radial set and NAV activated, is there any way to turn off NAV without also turning off the whole AP unit (including the altitude setting)? When I hit the NAV button the display changes to ROL, but the plane still does not respond to aileron inputs.Maybe this is reality?Cheers,Noel.

11th Gen i9-11900K @ 3.5GHz | nVidia GeForce RTX 3080 | Corsair 64 GB RAM | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB | Asus 27" RoG G-Sync

Track IR5 | Thrustmaster Warthog | CH Products Pedals

Hit Control H twice to get your ailerons back.

Much obliged! I'll try that.Cheers,Noel.

11th Gen i9-11900K @ 3.5GHz | nVidia GeForce RTX 3080 | Corsair 64 GB RAM | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB | Asus 27" RoG G-Sync

Track IR5 | Thrustmaster Warthog | CH Products Pedals

Guest wyoming

That's the only one I fly. Just reverted to stock Cessna to enjoy Tile Proxy, 'cause it's slower and there's no RealAir Cessna for FSX. Will purchase the Duke ASAP.

How do you open the hood? I didn't see that one in the manual! lol

To open the hood, its exit one so its Shift e then 1. I have it assigned to a button on my stick.John

John

Rig: Gigabyte B550 AORUS Master Motherboard, AMD Ryzen 7 3800XT CPU, 32GB DDR4 Ram, Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super Graphics,  Samsung Odyssey  wide view display (5120 x 1440 pixels) with VSYNC on.

>I have it and like flying it in FSX. However, is there any>way to change the very sterile instrument panel? You know, put>some skuff marks and scratches on it like a real plane that's>been flown for a few years. As it stands at the moment, it>looks like what it is, a computer animation. It doesn't even>look like a pristine just-out-of-the-factory panel. It's just>too plain and perfect.Believe it or not but that's the reason I did NOT buy this plane... The gauges seem to float in a terrible dull grey. There really should be some shadows here and there around the edges of the gauges and the switches: that's what I am missing most. The way it is now it looks awfull, really... Very sterile and dull and computerized. It's as if there is no background all and everything floats in a grey nothing. Yes, I know everyone loves this plane but I'm (sort of) glad to see I am not the only one who doesn't like the look of the panel.EDIT:Now if it was possible to edit that 'grey nothing' a bit, put some shadows on it, some scratches and life (like they did on the wings!!!), than I might buy it. The gauges are awesome of course...

The SF260 is one sweet aircraft/program that operates wonderful on my machine - smoooth - many, many hours including Multiply! Looking forward to more fine products from RealAir. ervIntel Core 2 X6800(3.22), P5W Deluxe, Coolmax 650W, Corsair DII800 4G, two 74G/WD 10,000 drives, ASUS 1900XT/512 Card, CoolMaster TAC-T01, Creative Sound Card, USB Logitech 350 Headset with Mic, Win XP Home Edition SP1, FSX SP1, SF260, ActiveSkyX/Graphics.

Intel Core i9-1300K, ASUS TUF Z790-Plus, EVGA 1600 P, Samsung 980 Pro M.2 2280 2TB, Crucial 5200 DDR5 32 GB, MSI  4090, Verjo Aero, Store MSFS 2020.