Sign in to follow this  
Frag

Anyone tried the mod to use google map instead of Bing?

45 minutes ago, avhpilot said:

I have given this a try,

When launching MSFS I got a message that due to low bandwith it was recommended to switch off photogrammetry (OK/Ignore)

Never seen that message before and with either choice i experienced very low FPS

After restarting MSFS without the mod (which should revert MSFS using default bing maps?) still the same low FPS

I fear i have messed up the sim now and want to stop with this mod, remove it alltogether

So, what would be the best thing to do now? just uninstall it or is there more te restore?

As long as you close the mod with the 'stop mod' button there isn't anything that will mess the sim up.  

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home

Tried it for the first time yesterday with Google images without "technical problems" . Ground textures are mostly sharper and the streets look much better. But from higher altitudes, I noticed significantly different colors and brightness of the textures in some areas, especially in Germany. And in the Caribbean, some areas are covered with white clouds (e.g. Curaçao). So, for now, I will stick with Bing. 

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, MrBitstFlyer said:

As long as you close the mod with the 'stop mod' button there isn't anything that will mess the sim up.  

Not exactly correct. I and several others on the Developers forum have had instant CTDs whenever the Mod was installed, and I installed it about 1/2 dozen times thinking I was missing something. Unistall it, MFSFS starts up as normal. Install it, hit Fly Now, and MSFS CTD's.  I finally gave up for fear of wrecking something in MSFS. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

29 minutes ago, LarsA said:

Tried it for the first time yesterday with Google images without "technical problems" . Ground textures are mostly sharper and the streets look much better. But from higher altitudes, I noticed significantly different colors and brightness of the textures in some areas, especially in Germany. And in the Caribbean, some areas are covered with white clouds (e.g. Curaçao). So, for now, I will stick with Bing. 

I have noted the same problems with google maps in Scandinavia, but the new Bing maps works fine and is a significant upgrade from the old ones.

System: I ASRock X670E | AMD 7800X3D | 32Gb DDR5 6000 | RTX 4090 | 2TB NVMe | LG Ultra Gear 34* UW |

4 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

Not exactly correct. I and several others on the Developers forum have had instant CTDs whenever the Mod was installed, and I installed it about 1/2 dozen times thinking I was missing something. Unistall it, MFSFS starts up as normal. Install it, hit Fly Now, and MSFS CTD's.  I finally gave up for fear of wrecking something in MSFS. 

I know Bob that you and others have issues with it, but others have no problem with it whatsoever. I for myself enjoy it a lot, especially in Alaska the Google maps option is superior. At least that's my impression (I posted a thread about the difference in the screenshot forum)

Any attempt to stretch fuel is guaranteed to increase headwinds

My specs: AMD Radeon RX6700XT, AMD Ryzen 9 5900X, 32GB RAM, 34" monitor, screen resolution: 2560x1080

15 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

Are you using third-party virus software? did you allow the program to run in the background, i remember i got that question by win-defender the first time I started it up.

Edited by Ixoye

System: I ASRock X670E | AMD 7800X3D | 32Gb DDR5 6000 | RTX 4090 | 2TB NVMe | LG Ultra Gear 34* UW |

50 minutes ago, Ixoye said:

Are you using third-party virus software? did you allow the program to run in the background, i remember i got that question by win-defender the first time I started it up.

I tried shutting off AV, no difference. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

I did a LOT of flying with the mod ...with and without it. i would say over 100 hours in so far.

My conclusion is the following: 

It all depends where you do fly as far as texture goes. For example, I do use the mod when flying in the USA / Canada ... it is SUPER sharp and looks awesome. However, when flying in east Russia, the BING one are superior.

So briefly, depending where I do intend to fly, I start the mod or not. Again, the idea is to clear the cache in MSFS when switching from Bing to Google (or the other way around).

Also, make sure you are using the version 5.0.7 (today is June 17 and it is the latest release), which is named "Main File". Do not download the old "stable" one from February.

Edited by Frag

24 minutes ago, Frag said:

Also, make sure you are using the version 5.0.7 (today is June 17 and it is the latest release), which is named "Main File". Do not download the old "stable" one from February.

According to flightsim.to May 28 is the latest update. 

ibnCgFi.jpg

Edited by Cpt_Piett

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

“Intensify the forward batteries. I don’t want anything to get through”

If scenery loading is slow (tiles loading in the distance), it could be a port conflict. This is how to check for conflicts:

Windows search box > resmon 

Go to network tab < listening ports. 

Sort the list by "port". 

fB0Zo8O.jpg

If there's a port conflict, google the app and check if it's possible to kill that process. 

• Like 1

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

2 hours ago, Frag said:

However, when flying in east Russia, the BING one are superior.

Superior to the Bing New in the app?

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home

Using other map sources means we lose alll water masks, right?

• Upvote 1

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

Been trying the Google maps mod but keep getting CTDs and checkerboard multicolored artifacts. Tried troubleshooting; it's the only app using port 443. I don't know. Seems buggy 🤷‍♂️

Could some thoroughly good egg kindly check if Bing Latest maps are working for them in Japan? For some reason I only get offline textures. Google is fine as is default MSFS Bing, but Bing latest just won’t show up. Only country so far I’ve had this problem.

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

I am playing OnAir Manager and my operations are based in Japan these day. I fly a lot in the area. I use Google, which seems to be perfect there, but I will turn off the mod and let you know about Bing at my next flight.