Sign in to follow this  
Frag

Anyone tried the mod to use google map instead of Bing?

1 hour ago, scotchegg said:

Could some thoroughly good egg kindly check if Bing Latest maps are working for them in Japan? For some reason I only get offline textures. Google is fine as is default MSFS Bing, but Bing latest just won’t show up. Only country so far I’ve had this problem.

Did a quick test flying SW out of Narita for 10 mins and all seemed fine with New Bing.

• Like 2

I was testing v5.0.7.

Do I need to update to 5.0.8?

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

15 minutes ago, CFIJose said:

I was testing v5.0.7.

Do I need to update to 5.0.8?

As mine is 100% stable and working fine I'm leaving it 0n v5.0.7. for the moment.

Edited by The Moose
  • Like 1

Did not like this at all. While flying ground squares below you could see GOOGLE2020 lightly imprinted on each area square. Some roads and freeways were blurry and color didnt impress me.  I deleted the whole thing/.///   Bing was much better

2 hours ago, polyefko said:

Did not like this at all. While flying ground squares below you could see GOOGLE2020 lightly imprinted on each area square. Some roads and freeways were blurry and color didnt impress me.  I deleted the whole thing/.///   Bing was much better

Strange decision. Why not use the 'new Bing maps' option to have more up to date Bing maps?

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home

I just downloaded 5.08 to try it. With 5.07, while MSFS was loading it would CTD every time.. This time no CTD, but when I start a flight, MSFS says I don't have enough bandwidth and switches to off line mode. Turn of the MOD, and MSFS works normally in online mod.,   Go figure.....🤨

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

49 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

I just downloaded 5.08 to try it. With 5.07, while MSFS was loading it would CTD every time.. This time no CTD, but when I start a flight, MSFS says I don't have enough bandwidth and switches to off line mode. Turn of the MOD, and MSFS works normally in online mod.,   Go figure.....🤨

It is odd because I occasionally see that with a new version, but it quickly disappears with use.  

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home

4 minutes ago, MrBitstFlyer said:

It is odd because I occasionally see that with a new version, but it quickly disappears with use.  

Is the Setting in MSFS for Bing Data World Graphics supposed to be off when using the Google Mod?

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

29 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

Is the Setting in MSFS for Bing Data World Graphics supposed to be off when using the Google Mod?

Read this at Flightsim.to

DO NOT use the rolling cache within FS2020..This is explained in the tutorial, I guess some don't bother to read or watch..Then they wonder why they have issues with this mod..

And make sure to stop the mod before exiting the Map Enhancement app after you close MSFS 2020 or the hosts file will still have the special entries.

Rich Sennett

7 minutes ago, Richard Sennett said:

Read this at Flightsim.to

DO NOT use the rolling cache within FS2020..This is explained in the tutorial, I guess some don't bother to read or watch..Then they wonder why they have issues with this mod..

And make sure to stop the mod before exiting the Map Enhancement app after you close MSFS 2020 or the hosts file will still have the special entries.

I have never used rolling cache in MSFS,  And I can't even get the Mod to run, so stopping it is a mute point. 

1 minute ago, Bobsk8 said:

I have never used rolling cache in MSFS,  And I can't even get the Mod to run, so stopping it is a mute point. 

I had a hard time getting this to work - I found someone online that posted a host file removed the host files that were their for safe keeping just dumped this host file in the folder and worked perfectly

Is that issue ? - you need it pm me Bob

Rich Sennett

41 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

No need to touch it.  Leave it on.

3 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

mute point. 

*Moot

I'm on Bob's ignore list i believe, could someone let him know to leave it on please.    No need to point out the grammar though 😉

• Like 4

Just now, Richard Sennett said:

I had a hard time getting this to work - I found someone online that posted a host file removed the host files that were their for safe keeping just dumped this host file in the folder and worked perfectly

Is that issue ? - you need it pm me Bob

No I got the host file issue straightened out early on. I have been fighting with this mod for a couple of weeks now, why I don't know, because to me the Bing map looks good, but now it has become a challenge I guess. When I install the latest version and start it, MSFS says I don't have enough bandwidth and switched me to off line mode. Shut the mod off, and MSFS runs fine with my Bing Maps....I was thinking that maybe it is trying to stream both Google and Default Bing at the same time, and that is why it says there isn't enough bandwidth.  

• Like 1

Finally got around to trying this, having read all the tennis in this thread.

My experience:-

• Google - just loading too slowly for only a marginal improvement in the areas I tend to fly.  In the UK I saw Google Maps as looking different but not particularly better than the supplied Bing map.  Seeing tiles ahead of me loading in was an absolute no go though - not when I get none of that problem with the stock maps / connection
  • Bing Maps - looked fresher in many areas but still far too subtle to justify the loading in issues (almost certainly my connection / location, so I appreciate this won't be an issue for those of you not getting slow loading issues).

Considering the above, and the fact that it meant yet another program running outside of MSFS (I currently have AAO, FS Realistic, ATC Chatter and LN running alongside the sim), I decided this one's not for me, and deleted it.   

But if you're getting good results from it, I'd say stick with it for sure!  As long as you're careful about always pressing the "Stop Mod" button after use - to keep your original Win/Host in tact, I'd say it's a pretty safe and innovative mod. 

Edited by JYW
  • Like 3

Bill

UK LAPL-A (Formerly NPPL-A and -M)

Something up with sim today as far as I know keeps crashing to desktop in a min or so - sos never ends with this hobby 😞  

• Like 2

Rich Sennett