Sign in to follow this  
Frag

Anyone tried the mod to use google map instead of Bing?

55 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

No I got the host file issue straightened out early on. I have been fighting with this mod for a couple of weeks now, why I don't know, because to me the Bing map looks good, but now it has become a challenge I guess. When I install the latest version and start it, MSFS says I don't have enough bandwidth and switched me to off line mode. Shut the mod off, and MSFS runs fine with my Bing Maps....I was thinking that maybe it is trying to stream both Google and Default Bing at the same time, and that is why it says there isn't enough bandwidth.  

Been battling with it for weeks as well. And I guess I could have lived perfectly without it - I find the default Bing maps quite decent. However, I'm quite stubborn and it just bugged me that I couldn't make it work. 

The issues for me was that it seemed "stuck" downloading from the start. Typically it would just download 4 images then no more. Then sometime later it seemed to want to download hundreds of images all at once, causing MSFS to CTD.

So today I went ahead and downloaded version 3.2.4 from February - a so-called stable version. So far so good. It doesn't have the hi-res option and the user interface is a bit more basic. But it seems to work. 

As for Bing Maps in the sim - leave on. 

Edited by Cpt_Piett

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

“Intensify the forward batteries. I don’t want anything to get through”

7 hours ago, The Moose said:

Did a quick test flying SW out of Narita for 10 mins and all seemed fine with New Bing.

Thanks for that. Very strange…

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

3 hours ago, Bobsk8 said:

Is the Setting in MSFS for Bing Data World Graphics supposed to be off when using the Google Mod?

Should be on.

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home

2 hours ago, Cpt_Piett said:

The issues for me was that it seemed "stuck" downloading from the start. Typically it would just download 4 images then no more.

Have you followed the help from the developer to see if an app is blocking port 443?

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home

When I tried this it looked like I got correct looking single story houses around my area with Bing and two story not real looking ones using Google. I also noticed that tree height was better with google. I now use Rex Accuseason and the 75% height tree mod which makes bing look a bit better.

42 minutes ago, MrBitstFlyer said:

Have you followed the help from the developer to see if an app is blocking port 443?

I've been through the FAQ page on Github several times. There's a link to a YouTube video that explains how to find any software using 443. The result: 

WzlszS6.jpg

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

“Intensify the forward batteries. I don’t want anything to get through”

My second go at this with a newer version than the last one I tried. I'm quite liking the look of the scenery in the few places I've tried so far using the default map server. Colours look more natural than the default scenery.

Trying to figure out what the best way to do the caching is now. The options menu in the program indicates you can have rolling cache on so long as you don't switch tile providers around.

Intel Core i5-12600k, Nvidia RTX 2080 Super, 64 Gigs.

1 hour ago, JSmith2112 said:

My second go at this with a newer version than the last one I tried. I'm quite liking the look of the scenery in the few places I've tried so far using the default map server. Colours look more natural than the default scenery.

Trying to figure out what the best way to do the caching is now. The options menu in the program indicates you can have rolling cache on so long as you don't switch tile providers around.

I use the MSFS Rolling cache without any issue. The idea is to DELETE the cache (from the MSFS->Option->Data) when you switch the texture provider. To ne honest I am not even sure that I need the cache since I have an unlimited gigabit link.

23 minutes ago, Frag said:

I use the MSFS Rolling cache without any issue. The idea is to DELETE the cache (from the MSFS->Option->Data) when you switch the texture provider. To ne honest I am not even sure that I need the cache since I have an unlimited gigabit link.

The app has it's own cache as well. I'm wondering if it's better to use the sim cache or the app cache. At the moment I'm using both just to experiment but that's probably not a great idea. I've put the app cache on a ramdisk while I experiment.

I think it might be a good idea to use some sort of caching. I used to use an app called tileproxy in FSX which did the same thing. Unfortunately the developer was contacted by a certain company that supplies map data and told to cease and desist with his efforts. What I'm trying to say is that the more we hammer this map data provider the more likely it could be that they pull the plug. Caching the data might help us "fly under the radar".

Intel Core i5-12600k, Nvidia RTX 2080 Super, 64 Gigs.

1 hour ago, Frag said:

I am not even sure that I need the cache since I have an unlimited gigabit link

I doubt very much you do.  I'm on 400Mb and don't use any cache (in game or in app) and it works flawlessly.  Turn it off, your drives will thank you.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, JSmith2112 said:

The app has it's own cache as well. I'm wondering if it's better to use the sim cache or the app cache. At the moment I'm using both just to experiment but that's probably not a great idea. I've put the app cache on a ramdisk while I experiment.

I think it might be a good idea to use some sort of caching. I used to use an app called tileproxy in FSX which did the same thing. Unfortunately the developer was contacted by a certain company that supplies map data and told to cease and desist with his efforts. What I'm trying to say is that the more we hammer this map data provider the more likely it could be that they pull the plug. Caching the data might help us "fly under the radar".

You have a good point here with the Google server that could decide to pull the plug if the apps abuse this. Now about the cache, both runs well for me. I did not see any difference between using the MSFS one vs the mod one.

37 minutes ago, JSmith2112 said:

What I'm trying to say is that the more we hammer this map data provider the more likely it could be that they pull the plug

Indeed.  As much as I love this mod I'm preparing mentally to not have it much longer. Surely the big G wont allow this to go on forever.   I'll have to take a few days off flightsim if that happens to try and forget how good the sim looks with it on.

15 minutes ago, The Moose said:

Indeed.  As much as I love this mod I'm preparing mentally to not have it much longer. Surely the big G wont allow this to go on forever.   I'll have to take a few days off flightsim if that happens to try and forget how good the sim looks with it on.

I have switched the the 'new Bing maps' option as I find the colours where I fly are better.  I could imagine Google being pulled, but would Microsoft pull  New Bing Maps?

5 minutes ago, MrBitstFlyer said:

I have switched the the 'new Bing maps' option as I find the colours where I fly are better.  I could imagine Google being pulled, but would Microsoft pull  New Bing Maps?

Some should ask the people from Asobo and their next meeting, why don't they switch to the latest Bing Maps.?

• Like 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

5 minutes ago, MrBitstFlyer said:

Indeed, the New Bing data is a lot better than Google in many places.  Love having the choice.  

I'd certainly be more surprised to see MS pull the plug, so yes, all is not lost if Google put a stop to it.

6 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

why don't they switch to the latest Bing Maps.?

Pretty sure they are using the new Bing maps data with the latest world updates.  It all has to be "processed" before putting it in the sim though. (colour matching+cloud/shadow cleanup etc.)  so they cant just update the world in one go.