Sign in to follow this  
Fielder

Ground level fps with Asobo PG cities deactivated.

5 minutes ago, Cpt_Piett said:

If you don’t have the performance reduction on the ground in Europe there’s no point in deleting the PG files. If you do, it might be worth the try. 

Guess I'll try to delete them to see if I notice any difference. Thanks.

Alvega

CPU: AMD 7800X3D | COOLER: Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240L Core ARGB | GPU: RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB OC | Mobo: ASUS TUF GAMING X670E-PLUS WIFI |
RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR5 6000MHz PC5-48000 2x16GB CL36 | SSDs: WD Black SN770 2TB NVMe SSD (WIN11), WD Black SN850X SSD 2 TB M.2 2280 PCIe Gen4 NVMe (MSFS), Crucial MX500 2TB (Other stuff) | CASE: Forgeon Arcanite ARGB Mesh Tower ATX White | Power Supply: Forgeon Bolt PSU 850W 80+ Gold Full Modular White 

It's much easier to move the folders (fs-base-coverage-map-x) into another directory for the regions you're not flying. So if you're flying in the US and you remove the PG folders for the other regions you'll see a huge uptick in FPS.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, YVRLHRDXB said:

It's much easier to move the folders (fs-base-coverage-map-x) into another directory for the regions you're not flying. So if you're flying in the US and you remove the PG folders for the other regions you'll see a huge uptick in FPS.

With the 8 files removed using content manager, I ran a file search on the subfolders of Official. There were 0 files of the format (fs-base-coverage-map-x).

Next redownloaded the 8 files in content manager and did another file search, and now they were there:

spacer.png

Therefore:

In  the future, I'm not using content manager to remove and redownload the files. Instead just drag and drop them to a folder on the desktop. So much faster  than redownloading them! If something goes wrong, content manager will have them listed under "uninstalled" and you can click Download to bring them back. 

• Like 2

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

4 minutes ago, Fielder said:

In  the future, I'm not using content manager to remove and redownload the files. Instead just drag and drop them to a folder on the desktop. So much faster  than redownloading them! If something goes wrong, content manager will have them listed under "uninstalled" and you can click Download to bring them back. 

Great find!

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

“Intensify the forward batteries. I don’t want anything to get through”

Just now, Fielder said:

On the official forum there was an even more clever suggestion to use the addon linker to activate / deactive the PG cities as needed. See here:

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/poor-performance-on-the-ground/450221/1018

by @Pascalm207. Caveat: I didn't try this myself yet. And you may have to copy the files over to your addon directory and next uninstall them via Contents Manager. Otherwise MSFS might try to reinstall them on the next start as they are found missing.

Kind regards, Michael

• Like 1

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

2 hours ago, Alvega said:

So, if we don't fly in the US we have no benefit deleting them, correct?

I ran a test at DeGaulle, Paris. With and without all of the 8 files removed. I closed and reopened MSFS between the two tests.  I see no difference. spacer.png

a6LhoFV.png

• Like 3

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

3 hours ago, The Moose said:

It only started with SU9... 4 weeks ago. (6 if you count beta)

Did this as soon as it was mentioned on the main forum, my main thread was getting absolutely hammered for no reason in places with SU9.  Deleted these files and 20fps gained, main thread back to normal(ish).

f14billy and I have been doing this since well before Christmas. It all started because I uninstalled the sim because of a separate issue and tried a flight without installing any of the World Updates. I noticed a drastic improvement. I then reinstalled the World Updates and noticed the huge frame drop. My test was at the Toronto City Airport (CYTZ) but it can be observed at any US or Canada airport, especially in photogrammetry cities. At first we thought it was the World Updates causing issues, but then, through a lot of testing, we figured out it was the photogrammetry cities themselves being installed that was causing the issue.

It is absolutely most apparent flying in the US or Canada. Doesn't seem to be a big of a deal elsewhere. However, it only gets worse as they add world updates. I keep all the photogrammetry cities uninstalled and simply install if I want to fly somewhere. Then uninstall after the flight. Afterall, the files are typically only a few hundred kb's. I am glad this issue is getting more attention, however I'm still unsure the devs are aware of it.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, The Moose said:

It only started with SU9... 4 weeks ago. (6 if you count beta)

Did this as soon as it was mentioned on the main forum, my main thread was getting absolutely hammered for no reason in places with SU9.  Deleted these files and 20fps gained, main thread back to normal(ish).

I tried it whenever that was maybe a month and a half ago or whatever and made no difference and I have unchanged excellent performance post SU9.

Read this April 27 post and subsequent ones:  https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/618079-lost-performance-after-su9-update/?do=findComment&comment=4760810

Further, this one from April 1:  https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/photogrammetry-on-ground-reduces-fps-by-50-on-average/512447

This poll I created ended May 28.  I fortunately have no impact on maintaining frame rate of 30 as mentioned.  Someone surmised I was adjusting T-LOD to compensate for the PG cities effect--only issue there is it's always been this way for me, modulating T-LOD to cope w/ high CPU demand than my 9900K@4.9ghz can cope with so no surprises there.  Glad this helps others, but clearly not everyone noticed significant change w/ SU9:

spacer.png

Edited by Noel

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

6 hours ago, pmb said:

And even worse: Users not watching any forums (I guess the majority, notably new users), set their plane to KSFO or KJFK, observe the dragging and stuttering mess and throw MSFS away - while MSFS actually is able for high performance, it just has a temporary bug.

If I were Asobo/MS I would task a dozen of dedicated Asobo programmers to specifically repair this within a week and release a hotfix immediately.

Kind regards, Michael

Agree 100% 

i7 8770K @ 4.7Ghz + Corsair H100i GTX  Water Cooler - 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000Mhz - NVidia RTX 2070 XC 8Gb - ACER X34 Predator IPS GSYNC 3440x1440 Monitor - ASUS ROG STRIX Z370H - 2 x Samsung SSD Pro 512Gb  - 1 x Samsung EVO 1Tb - Win 10 Pro 64  21H2 - MSFS

"All in, all the time"

Steve Summers

Just read through this thread, and was wondering if anyone has done a test to see if one particular PG country update is the sole cause, or a combination of all 8 of them? Might be a little time consuming, but it could be useful in helping Asobo isolate the problem a little more quickly.

• Like 1

Ken

10 hours ago, BaronKen said:

Just read through this thread, and was wondering if anyone has done a test to see if one particular PG country update is the sole cause, or a combination of all 8 of them? Might be a little time consuming, but it could be useful in helping Asobo isolate the problem a little more quickly.

F14billy over on the official forums has done just that. Each pg city has a different affect on performance if flying in north America. If memory serves, Japan has the least impact. Game of the year photogrammetry and the Nordics hit hard I believe. It's buried in a thread but for each world update he updates that post and what kind of effect it has. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the info. MS/Asobo reads these threads, according to forum managers on the official site, so along with their own tests and work to identify the causes for these issues perhaps a fix has already been identified and will be forthcoming soon, perhaps with the upcoming SU10 update.

Ken

Hi,

I suppose that if I already use PG setting Off in game, there is no advantage to delete the infamous 8 files ?

Am I right ?

Pierre

Does anyone know which photo cities are included with the GOTY Photogrammetry cities?

PC: 10900K, RAM 32GB, Geforce GTX 3080 (10GB), MSFS 2020, FSX-SE, XP-11, P3DV4.5, P3DV5 

On 6/12/2022 at 10:13 PM, Pochi said:

Hi,

I suppose that if I already use PG setting Off in game, there is no advantage to delete the infamous 8 files ?

Am I right ?

Pierre

Yes, with PG turned off they are not in use.

Edited by Ixoye

System: I ASRock X670E | AMD 7800X3D | 32Gb DDR5 6000 | RTX 4090 | 2TB NVMe | LG Ultra Gear 34* UW |