Sign in to follow this  
rlaycock

Recomended weather Engine for P3D V4.5 or V5?

Hi all

Thanks for the recommendations.

I have taken the advice and bought Active Sky P3D.

installed it and just completing my first flight . All seams to be going fine.  

I have a few questions to start with:

1/ How do I know if it is using the Rex Sky_Force 3D cloud shape and texture rather than P3D cloud shape and texture?

At present everything looks vert different to what I am use to (far more clouds than I normally get. It also has a more gray feel to it which is good)

2/ What are the biggest factors that effect sim performance *FPS) It seams to be performing fine at the moment. However, I am currently using the Majestic Dash 8 which always went fine.  Given the increased details of the clouds I am expecting a more FPS hungry aircraft will hit FPS somewhat.

Thanks again for all the help so far and thanks in advance if you can help with my questions.

Best wishes

Bob

Biggest factors in sim performance in my experience: Cloud layers, cloud draw distance, and cloud resolution. I've set them to 3, 150 and 512 respectively.

• Upvote 1

Best regards, Dimitrios

7950X - 32 GB - RX6800 - TrackIR - Power-LC M39 WQHD - Honeycomb Alpha yoke, Saitek pedals & throttles in a crummy home-cockpit - MSFS for Pilotedge, P3D for everything else

As above with settings - using a low cloud resolution is no worries - you almost never notice the difference.

Also I set my cloud resolution to 80 in the vicinity of a large payware airport.

I have ActiveSky, but I ended up using OpusFSI because it also includes Live Camera (cockpit vibrations).

OpusFSI Live Weather instant weather updates, Live Camera view control, management and docking, Live View multi-screen networked displays (opussoftware.co.uk)

• Like 1

Hardware: i7-8700k, GTX 1070-ti, 32GB ram, NVMe/SSD drives with lots of free space.
Software: latest Windows 10 Pro, P3Dv4.5+, FSX Steam, and lots of addons (100+ mostly Orbx stuff).

Pilotfly.gif?raw=1

Hi all

Quick update from me. (topic starter)

After using Active Sky for the past several days, I am very satisfied.

To the kind folk who recommended Active Sky I thank you.  It is simple to use and a considerable improvement to P3D in general.

Thanks again.

Best wishes.

Bob  

• Upvote 1