Sign in to follow this  
George3622

2020 premium disc installation HELP

Sorry if I'm in wrong area. 

I'm totally confused. 

Brand new win11 gaming system.. MSFlight sim 2020 premium disc version bought online. 

I started the disc install, but then I found out you need a Microsoft account. So I created one. Then submitted my activation code thru the ms game store. Which prompted me to download the software again. 

I'm not exactly sure what sim version I have.  I tried to open the program and it instructed me to use an Xbox game controller.  My old sidewinder joystick won't work.  How can I get back to a simple disc install. What's my best option. 

Not the same as 2004. So simple. 

Thx

the disc is a complete waste of money and time, its a very old version, so it needs to download a ton of changed stuff

anyway. 

hardware from more than 10  years ago, well....  , but if the sidewinder is recognised in windows as a contoller you can use it.

just needs to be setup manually.

i say best option, get the steam version, and playing with an xbox controller is not too bad.

good luck

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

As said above, I don't know why they bothered producing a disc version. It's updated so frequently and relies so heavily on online content that it was literally only a matter of days before the versions burnt on the discs were obsolete.

Just get the download version, MS Store or Steam. It's far more streamlined and straight forward and is how it was designed to be used really.

Tom Wright

Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) | Intel Core i7 4770k @ 4.3GHz | 16GB DDR3 1600MHz RAM | GTX 1060 6GB | Samsung 860 EVO 500GB | Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Sidestick + Quadrant | Xbox Series S

The disk version is nothing more than something for the collectors. Many of us still have the disks and boxes from older versions of the sim. When MSFS came out as an online item, they released the disk versions for us so that we would have something physical to add to our collections. The SW on the disks was obsolete the day that they released them because they had already pushed updates to the sim online.  

i9-10850K, ASUS TUF GAMING Z490-PLUS (WI-FI), 32GB G.SKILL DDR4-3603 / PC4-28800, EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti BLACK EDITION 11GB running 3440x1440 

On 6/12/2022 at 12:04 PM, Tom Wright said:

I don't know why they bothered producing a disc version.

I understand that it's a requirement from the European Union for those European folks.

6 hours ago, Fizzelle said:

I understand that it's a requirement from the European Union for those European folks.

Really?! Didn't know that!

Edited by Tom Wright

Tom Wright

Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) | Intel Core i7 4770k @ 4.3GHz | 16GB DDR3 1600MHz RAM | GTX 1060 6GB | Samsung 860 EVO 500GB | Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Sidestick + Quadrant | Xbox Series S

6 hours ago, Fizzelle said:

Lol, wut!?😆

Here is what Aerosoft, who produced the disk version, had to say, as reported and before the simulator had been released.

Aerosoft Forum Administrator Mathijs Kok explained that the giant 10 disc edition of Microsoft Flight Simulator is being made specifically with convenience in mind. That may sound counterintuitive when you think about the fact that the company is expecting gamers to basically buy one of those CD travel cases in order to play the game. However, it's being made to accommodate fans who want the full Microsoft Flight Simulator experience, but also have much slower internet. Read More: https://www.svg.com/227080/this-game-is-releasing-with-10-discs-heres-why/?utm_campaign=clip 

With the benefit of hindsight, there is a certain irony in that the very thing intended to be avoided is now an absolute requirement.
I am no expert in EU law but I suspect that we European folks do not need our software to be released on coasters, many
of us have reliable internet connections these days, not to mention electricity and piped water.