Sign in to follow this  
David Mills

Does anyone have a link to the WU announcement?

If the trade off for having MSFS in my simming life is that occasionally Microsoft do a random tie in that caters for the non-simming crowd then I'll take that. If that is how MSFS can keep in development, or heaven forbid, maybe tap into a younger market of current gamers who may potentially in a few years be die hard simmers, then it's not the worst compromise.

I spent the afternoon flying the Sting around Mt Cook with the New Zealand Mesh installed. It is insane how enjoyable I found it compared to what I experienced in sims a few years ago. I've flown around MSFS for 2 years and it still has the capacity to just 'wow' me.

Add in nearly 10 SUs, a whole load of free WUs, 40th Anniversary content, road maps, devs that seem to genuinely care about the sim, then I'll take a random thing called a Pelican from some other random thing called a Halo.

Edited by riverreveal
  • Like 8
  • Upvote 5

It’s a 40th anniversary big celebration announcement / freebie bonanza. However much the bug list might irritate me, a shower of gifts from 3PDs with something to please most corners of the community seems like a really nice way to celebrate an anniversary. A compilation of bug-fixes that will eventually be rolled out in SUs maybe lacks the flair for the occasion.

Thumbs-up here.

• Like 10
  • Upvote 1

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

Halo stuff?, Sci-Fi stuff?, Next World Update?. Don't mind, I'm not worried about that. I rather go flying!

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

56 minutes ago, pmb said:

I am certainly known to be a big supporter and defender of MSFS, just look up my posting trace. However, the backlog of issues starts to become a serious danger for its prospering. Which I dislike. Looking away doesn't help.

I stand to this: Quality before quantity.

Kind regards, Michael

Agreed 1,000%

• Like 1

Chris Camp

8 minutes ago, riverreveal said:

If the trade off for having MSFS in my simming life is that occasionally Microsoft do a random tie in that caters for the non-simming crowd then I'll take that. If that is how MSFS can keep in development, or heaven forbid, maybe tap into a younger market of current gamers who may potentially in a few years be die hard simmers, then it's not the worst compromise.

I spent the afternoon flying the Sting around Mt Cook with the New Zealand Mesh installed. It is insane how enjoyable I found it compared to what I experienced in sims a few years ago. I've flown around MSFS for 2 years and it still has the capacity to just 'wow' me.

Add in nearly 10 SUs, a whole load of free WUs, 40th Anniversary content, road maps, devs that seem to genuinely care about the sim, then I'll take a random thing called a Pelican from some other random thing called a Halo.

If I go by my causal gamer Xbox friends who have tried this on GamePass, no amount of free Updates, is going to keep them interested and away from their Online FPS Shooters!

The future of this game rests on the simmers.. Period!

Chris Camp

Everyone running a for profit company has got marketing deadlines to meet. I'm sure in this instance Jorg and Asobo didnt get to set this deadline but they had to get their presentation ready. So while on the back end there are issues to rectify the marketing and product development team must do its job regardless of what the product support and quality teams are doing. To the end user who already are invested in the product this may come off not as great because there are issues to fix on the back end but what are they supposed to do ? Not show anything until everything is fixed ? I don't think this presentation is unreasonable in the slightest. The Service update is due in August. No point in moaning about the presentation made today. This is a part of how the bills get paid.

Edited by Maxis
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

AMD Ryzen 5900X / Asus Strix B550 F Gaming Wifi / Powercolor AMD 6800XT Red Devil / 32GB Gskill Trident Neo DDR4 3600 / 2x ADATA XPG 8200pro NVME / Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280 / EVGA Supernova 750 GT PSU / Lian Li Lancool II Mesh Performance /

Viotek 3440x1440p Freesync / Schiit Bifrost DAC+ Schiit Asgard AMP /  Sennheiser HD 558 / Thrustmaster T.16000M + TFRP Rudders

8 minutes ago, Kilo60 said:

If I go by my causal gamer Xbox friends who have tried this on GamePass, no amount of free Updates, is going to keep them interested and away from their Online FPS Shooters!

What a profound statement to make based on anecdotal experience only.

• Like 8
  • Upvote 1

AMD Ryzen 5900X / Asus Strix B550 F Gaming Wifi / Powercolor AMD 6800XT Red Devil / 32GB Gskill Trident Neo DDR4 3600 / 2x ADATA XPG 8200pro NVME / Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280 / EVGA Supernova 750 GT PSU / Lian Li Lancool II Mesh Performance /

Viotek 3440x1440p Freesync / Schiit Bifrost DAC+ Schiit Asgard AMP /  Sennheiser HD 558 / Thrustmaster T.16000M + TFRP Rudders

51 minutes ago, Krakin said:

I'm not sure either way so I'm not gonna moan about an add-on that more than likely had no effect on bug fixing timelines.

But you said you’re not sure, so, you don’t know if it had an effect or not. 

Ok I’m putting my head above the parapet here 😊

when it comes to a world update there are people hoping for a region that has so far not been given the “update treatment” 

I’m thinking that it maybe literally a world update and we will get the latest bing map data instead for the whole world?

Naïve I’m sure. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, Kilo60 said:

This is just not true, I play FPS games, in fact there was a period in my life where I played shooters a lot more than simulations, these days though I use MSFS for about 95% of my gaming/simulation time. So 100% people can transition over to flight simming.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D, GIGABYTE X570 Aorus Ultra, 32GB DDR4 3600 MHz RAM, 2* 1 TB SSD,1*4 TB M.2, 2*1 TB M.2, (4TB) HDD,RADEON RX 6800XT NITRO+ OC SE 16GB GDDR6, NZXT Kraken X73, NZXT 710 Case, X55 JOYSTICK/THROTTLES, LG 4K monitor, Dell 1080 monitor. Honeycomb Alpha Yoke, Bravo Throttle. Thrustmaster TPR Pedals. Tobii Eye tracker.

Asobo are working on a Microsoft property.  If the odd time spent on an optional promotional tie-in is the "price" of years of free post-release support and updates paid for by their publishing partner, I can't even begin to understand what anyone would be complaining about.  That post-release support also just handed you a few high quality aircraft for free, in addition to the silly one.

I don't think people burn enough neurons on this forum thinking about the business side of things from time to time, and the competing priorities and pressures that come with it.  Yeah, it's annoying that some bugs persist, or that updates sometimes introduce nasty new ones.  We'd all like all of the remaining pain points fixed yesterday.  But ignoring whether the people making the Halo Pelican are the same people working on stuff like ground physics (probably not!), sometimes you gotta pay the bills and keep your publisher happy too.

I think it's occasionally useful to look at the larger picture here, and think about how far and fast things have progressed with a sim that is still a little under two years old.  The work continues.

• Like 14

So when do we actually find out the next world update?

• Like 1

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

4 minutes ago, Scottoest said:

I don't think people burn enough neurons on this forum thinking about the business side of things from time to time, and the competing priorities and pressures that come with it.

Well yes. Obviously. And those of us being mindful of the bugs can surely at the same time appreciate the free A310. Maybe not so much the Halo thingie. It’s possible to have both thoughts in our heads all at the same time. By the way @pmb has praised Microsoft and Asobo on numerous occasions. 

• Like 1

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

“Intensify the forward batteries. I don’t want anything to get through”

3 minutes ago, Cpt_Piett said:

Well yes. Obviously. And those of us being mindful of the bugs can surely at the same time appreciate the free A310. Maybe not so much the Halo thingie. It’s possible to have both thoughts in our heads all at the same time. By the way @pmb has praised Microsoft and Asobo on numerous occasions. 

You can have both thoughts, sure but it is foolish to sit there and complain about things that don't affect each other.

• Like 3

5800X3D. 32 GB RAM. 1TB SATA SSD. 3TB HDD. RTX 3070 Ti.

17 minutes ago, micstatic said:

So when do we actually find out the next world update?

Probably Tuesday, there's going to be an extended X-Box Showcase on that day.

• Like 2