Sign in to follow this  
David Mills

Does anyone have a link to the WU announcement?

3 hours ago, Krakin said:

Complaining about the inclusion of the Halo transport ship is just a huge waste of time

Indeed, and incredibly short sighted as usual in here. 

Do i like it? No, Will I download it? No.  Does it have any place in a flight sim?  Not really.    Could it tempt thousands of Halo fans to try the sim?  Absobloodylutely!   

Someone earlier called it a waste of recourses. If you bring in lots of new customers it's never a waste of resources.   . 

• Like 5
  • Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Kilo60 said:

The future of this game rests on the simmers.. Period!

You mean all those die-hard simmers who refuse to buy anything from the marketplace? Sounds like a great plan for the future of the franchise 👎

22 minutes ago, The Moose said:

If you bring in lots of new customers it's never a waste of resources. 

Call me smallminded, but I just can't see winning over a significant number of people to flightsim like that.

You are into it because you like real world aircraft and always wondered how flying them works. THAT is what draws people.

The attempt to lure people to flightsim with a Halo Gunship is as ill conceived as the idea to lure people with Musical into being regular Opera goers.

• Upvote 1

There really does seem to be something for everyone here. If some want to walk past the FLIPPIN’ FREE payware-quality, study-level airliner, vintage, bush-flyer, helicopter etc. to sneer at a bit of fun like the Halo thingy, knock your curmudgeonly selves out, but all of this as an anniversary gift is a pretty classy move imho.

*Yes, MSFS still has seriously irritating bugs.

• Like 12
  • Upvote 1

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

1 hour ago, Farlis said:

Call me smallminded, but I just can't see winning over a significant number of people to flightsim like that.

Smallminded! 😆

Heard all the same stuff about Xbox players and how none of them would stay.  How did that work out? 😉

It's marketing 101.. Tempt enough people in the door and some will stay.

1 hour ago, Farlis said:

You are into it because you like real world aircraft and always wondered how flying them works.

Personally I had zero interest in Aviation when i started flight simming, It was just another game to try. It was a couple of years before i even bothered to try and learn to fly "properly".

I never had any interest in Gardening whatsoever..  At 40 years old I helped a mate out at work for a couple of days, 4 years later I had my own gardening business.

We dont know what we are interested in until something sparks it. 

I'll say it again... get em in the door, new simmers will be born!

Edited by The Moose
  • Like 8
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Cpt_Piett said:

Well yes. Obviously. And those of us being mindful of the bugs can surely at the same time appreciate the free A310. Maybe not so much the Halo thingie. It’s possible to have both thoughts in our heads all at the same time. By the way @pmb has praised Microsoft and Asobo on numerous occasions. 

Of course you can, and I wasn't responding to anyone in particular.  I was responding more to the general attitude of "why are they making X, when bugs still exist?"

When you're entering a thread about an announcement they made giving simmers a bunch of free content to effectively say "but bugs!", I think you're not taking the time to step back and think about the competing priorities of a project with hundreds of devs on it, funded by a publisher who likes to introduce cross-marketing tie-in stuff from time to time.

These are the things that keep their publisher happy, and let them do the less glamorous work of squashing bugs and improving underlying systems that doesn't make for a good E3 sizzle trailer.  These are also the things that let them make contracts to give their community an $80 payware plane to celebrate a franchise milestone.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Farlis said:

You are into it because you like real world aircraft and always wondered how flying them works. THAT is what draws people.

The attempt to lure people to flightsim with a Halo Gunship is as ill conceived as the idea to lure people with Musical into being regular Opera goers.

If you understood marketing and consumer behaviour you would change your stance.

If I wasn’t a simmer and they announced the X from star wars was coming and I could fly it around the real earth, heck I’ll think that’ll be fun and look into MSFS. It’s about exposure too! 

EDIT: the next partnership should be with Star Wars 🤩

Edited by Ridvan Celik
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Ridvan Celik said:

the next partnership should be with Star Wars

Well you could get me to fly a T-47 around Finse. 😉

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Ridvan Celik said:

EDIT: the next partnership should be with Star Wars 🤩

Study level X-wing flying the RNAV DOCKER departure out of LAX the making a left turn to the upper atmosphere!  I’m so in 🙂

People really need to lighten up in here.  The simple fact that they are giving away a TON of new aircraft partnering with several vendors like inibuilds and milviz (both of which I’m sure are getting decent revenue from the deal) means that MSFS is doing pretty darn well financially for Microsoft.  And If that is true it only bodes well for us getting all of our nagging bugs and wishlist features done and released to see the light of day.

In the meantime, the Halo craft is a nice toy to play around with when you need a break from programming the Fenix MCDU for the nth time this week.  Just download it and play, I promise no one will report your frivolity to Vatsim 😉

• Like 1
  • Upvote 5

57 minutes ago, Farlis said:

Don't sweat the small stuff mate.  It's just a little "fun".  As you can see, the last few months have seen some amazing aircraft developed for the serious simmer.

It's all gonna be okay.

Jase

• Like 3

Jaseman. Lovin it up here........

Catch us over at MassieSim32 -> https://discord.gg/B4buuHGhcr

43 minutes ago, VFXSimmer said:

partnering with several vendors like inibuilds and milviz

I haven't read all the thread and only caught a few mins of the presentation...  didn't realise the were partnering with Milvis!

Is it the Beaver by any chance?  That would make sense of a cryptic answer from Colin to one of my questions .

Edited by The Moose

12 minutes ago, The Moose said:

I haven't read all the thread and only watched a few mins of the presentation...  didn't realise the were partnering with Milvis!

Is it the Beaver by any chance?  That would make sense of a cryptic answer from Colin to one of my questions .

There are two De Havilland Canada Beavers shown flying around in the presentation.

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

1 minute ago, Mace said:

There are two De Havilland Canada Beavers shown flying around in the presentation.

That'll explain it then....   I was flying at the time only really listening to a bit the presentation, didn't see them 🙂   That's great news.  Thanks.

6 hours ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

If it is the truth, of which no one in an official capacity has ever confirmed (that I am aware of), then, it still doesn’t make it right. 
Plus what I was reading in the official forums kinda contradicts it anyways, a massive sim with a small team is what was discussed…

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/official-discussion-xbox-bethesda-games-showcase-announcements/524246/204

• Like 2

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

Let alone business related moves to bring in new audiences and similar stuff, there's the matter of how real world software development works which a lot on these forums seem to be not clued into when complaining about why MS/Asobo are doing X when they could be doing Y.

a) Firstly it's *not* the case that throwing more bodies at solving particular issues or enhancing particular areas in a codebase means that thing gets done faster/better. The experts and subject matter experts (SMEs) could just be 1 or 2 or 3 devs working on a particular area or functionality(ies), and they are usually best left to do so themselves rather than throwing 1 or 2 or 3 or more devs along with them.

b) Secondly, not all developers have the same set of skills and are easily switched around to work on anything in something as vast as the MSFS codebase. Also, some devs will have accumulated a lot of experience/expertise in a particular area of the software product and codebase and therefore it is in the company's best interest that they keep working on that.

I've worked in software development for over 25 years now and I can unequivocally say that both a) and b) are hard truths regardless of what the software product or codebase is. If only if it was as easy as throwing more devs at a problem or switching them around to work on any part of the product at any time :)

Edited by lwt1971
  • Upvote 1

Len
1980s: Sublogic FS II on C64 ---> 1990s: Flight Unlimited I/II, MSFS 95/98 ---> 2000s/2010s: FS/X, P3D, XP ---> 2020+: MSFS
Current system: i9 13900K, RTX 4090, 64GB DDR5 4800 RAM, 4TB NVMe SSD