Sign in to follow this  
rhumbaflappy

Unblocked full FSX views no longer possible in SP1

Guest tmilton

Maybe Phil Taylor or another official from ACES can answer this mystery about the changes in FSX views after installation of SP1. After I installed SP1, I found that in 2D view it is no longer possible to toggle the panel off completely when viewing the side and rear views.I was flying the Learjet yesterday, and I tried to toggle off the panel using the W key on the keyboard, as it's normally done, so I could get a full screen view of the outside scenery. I then used the hatswitch on the joystick to look at the view behind me. I like to do this to view the runway behind me right after taking off. Instead of a clear view of the runway behind me, the rear wall of the cockpit was there completely blocking the view. In fact, everywhere I turned the hatswitch, there was the cockpit interior partially and even completely blocking the view.This is now the case with every plane I that load up and toggle the panel off in 2D. There is no longer a clear and full unobstructed view of the outside scenery. Except for the front view, all the side and rear views are blocked by the cockpit interior!I toggle the panel off frequently when I fly, and it is disturbing that I can't get a clear full view outside when looking left, right, and backwards anymore. Why is this happening and how can I get back a clear and full view of the outside scenery when I toggle the panel off?

Ditto to that. I already miss the ability to fly with no parts of the aircraft visible from the cockpit. It's my main view when shooting my FSX films with my track-ir. Move your head more than 30 degrees in any direction and you're back in the VC. I've had to create dummy copies of the aircraft I film from with no models attached to them to bypass it but that isn't exactly a great solution.Turning off "see_self" in fsx.cfg doesn't help either. It only removes the external model from view, though leaves the lights and effects which looks rather funny.I hope a quick fix can be posted by ACES soon for this new bug in sp1.Cheers.

Mike Johnson - Lotus Simulations

Guest tmilton

I have made videos also in the past and have relied on a fullscreen outside view to capture some breathtaking flying moments in its full glory. So with SP1 blocking this ability, I know how you feel, it is disappointing when the SP1 update hinders this.With the SP1 views interfering with a clear fullscreen view when using Track-IR, that's a double whammy. :( I can imagine the consternation when turning your head only to have parts of the panel or cockpit pop up and block your clear fullscreen view.

Hi All,Open the aircraft.cfg file of the plane you use.Look for the VIEWS section.On the eyepoint= line increase the last number by double or a bit more.Save the file.Start FSX and see what you think. If you still see plane parts, increase that value a bit more.Thanks,Jimhttp://www.hifisim.com/banners/hifi-community-sigbanner.jpghttp://www.hifisim.com/

Guest Wise22

Hey thanks Jim - that worked beautifully!I'd missed those views so much that I'd uninstalled SP1 till I found out ASX required it.

>Hi All,>>Open the aircraft.cfg file of the plane you use.>>Look for the VIEWS section.>>On the eyepoint= line increase the last number by double or a>bit more.>>Save the file.>>Start FSX and see what you think. If you still see plane>parts, increase that value a bit more.>>Thanks,>Jim>>http://www.hifisim.com/banners/hifi-community-sigbanner.jpg>http://www.hifisim.com/What does the last value change you recommend do?

Hi,You can achieve the same result by pressing SHIFT+RETURN a few times. Only problem is that it doesn't eliminate the tail beacon :(Mike

Thanks for the idea Jim, but moving the eyepoint outside the cockpit sort of hoses you if you actually want to use the VC at times as well unless you go through all your planes and set up extra VC cameras.Of all the functionalities to lose with sp1 this is a truly odd one. Maybe a side effect of the panel work they did and no one noticed?

I think it has been stated that the way it had functioned was a "bug" that was corrected in SP1. I assume the change is related to the new camera system. Couldn't you create a camera in camera.cfg in the "custom" category group that you could set with a high eyepoint outside the model in 99% of the aircraft?scott s..

If it was a bug then it was an immensely useful one for a couple small groups of people I guess, wideview users and FSX videographers.If you have the panel turned off entirely, which takes several keystrokes to completely accomplish, it makes no sense to suddenly have your VC pop into view when you start panning around. The pre-sp1 system made sense for the few people that used this functionality I think, and I hope it can be put back to the way it was with the next patch/expansion.Artificially raising the eyepoint or creating a custom camera to do so isn't really a viable solution though because it's altering the perspective on landing for each aircraft you do it for, turning a cessna's perspective into that of a 747's depending on zoom, and adding a translation to the viewpoint on pitch and roll which you don't want. As well, panning down will just give you a screen full of airplane instead of a clear view to the ground. Same thing for moving it forward of the aircraft, you lose your rear view.The camera SDK doesn't provide for the option of making your aircraft invisible either sadly.

For any new, third-party models it would be simple enough to either (a) provide a "hotspot" that would hide/unhide the VC when desired, or (:( automatically turn off the VC when in the 2d panel.Number 2 has the effect of disabling the VC at all times in the VC, with the result that you would never have any obstructions even in full-panel 2d view.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Hi all.You can try adding this to your camera.cfg file:

[CameraDefinition.012]Title = LandscapeGuid = {C11E251E-9892-43ad-8E4A-70FA6C3C26BA}Description = A landscape view.Origin = CenterShowPanel = NoSnapPbhAdjust = OrdinalSnapPbhReturn = YesPanPbhAdjust = OrdinalPanPbhReturn = YesTrack = NoneShowAxis = FrontOnlyAllowZoom = NoInitialZoom = 1.0SmoothZoomTime = 2.0ShowWeather = YesXyzAdjust = YesInitialXyz=0.0, -10.0, 0.0ShowLensFlare=NoCategory = Cockpit
It adds a new view entry called "Landscape" that is 10 meters below the aircraft... you could tighten that up if you wish. ( Landing the plane is a bit odd with this. )Dick