Sign in to follow this  
Guest craig1998

DirectX (June 2007) improves FSX perf. in Windows Vista

Guest ALFS

1. Update DirectX End-User Runtimes (June 2007) update. The link is below (I've found only the redistributable version):http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...&DisplayLang=en2. Install last graphics drivers. In my case (Windows Vista, nVIDIA GeForce 7950 GT): 158.24 WHQL for Vista 32 bit.3. Delete fsx.cfg and let FSX generate a new one when it starts (this is very important).

Guest allcott

No need to delete the whole thing ansd lose all the precious settings and gaugae permissions. Just remove the display.device section. Allcott

Guest dg3274

I agree with Alcott but what good does removing the display.device section do? The only things I see there define what resolution, AA, and Filtering modes you use.

I'm sure you guys know what you're talking about, but for those of us who are just knowledgeable to dangerous to ourselves and others...Vist already has DX10:1-why does FSX install 9c?2-what are DX RunTimes? Are they the same thing as DX9C?Thanks,Earl

Vista comes with DX10 indeed, but FSX (and almost all other games) still uses DX9. So that's why FSX installs DX9 and that's why you might want to install the latest version of it too.DX runtimes is a complete exe with everything you need: the link provided gives you the very latest version. There is also some sort of DX webinstaller: that's only a few 100 kb's big but that one downloads the rest while installing.

Guest B52Drivr

Has anyone found this to be helpful in XP and in FS9 also?Clay

Why do we have to remove the display.device section?

Alvega

CPU: AMD 7800X3D | COOLER: Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240L Core ARGB | GPU: RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB OC | Mobo: ASUS TUF GAMING X670E-PLUS WIFI |
RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR5 6000MHz PC5-48000 2x16GB CL36 | SSDs: WD Black SN770 2TB NVMe SSD (WIN11), WD Black SN850X SSD 2 TB M.2 2280 PCIe Gen4 NVMe (MSFS), Crucial MX500 2TB (Other stuff) | CASE: Forgeon Arcanite ARGB Mesh Tower ATX White | Power Supply: Forgeon Bolt PSU 850W 80+ Gold Full Modular White 

I don't understand that either. I did it all the same and noticed that FSX wrote back the exact same lines to the cfg. file as before, only I had to activate aa and af through the user interface again.Like Allcott says, make sure you don't lose those settings in the cfg file youv'e so carefully proveded it with ;-)Eagle

>Vista comes with DX10 indeed, but FSX (and almost all other games) still uses DX9. So that's why FSX installs DX9 and that's why you might want to install the latest version of it too.Something about that doesn't sound right. Since when can you have two different versions of DirectX installed? I thought the way that it works is DX9 games work with DX10 because the newer version retains compatibility with programs that require DX9. If that was the case shouldn't we also install DirectX 8 and 7 and...Somebody enlighten me if I am wrong.And like others what is the real point of deleting the FSX.cfg file or just deleting the Device section?Todd

Did you notice any improvement in FSX?

Alvega

CPU: AMD 7800X3D | COOLER: Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240L Core ARGB | GPU: RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB OC | Mobo: ASUS TUF GAMING X670E-PLUS WIFI |
RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR5 6000MHz PC5-48000 2x16GB CL36 | SSDs: WD Black SN770 2TB NVMe SSD (WIN11), WD Black SN850X SSD 2 TB M.2 2280 PCIe Gen4 NVMe (MSFS), Crucial MX500 2TB (Other stuff) | CASE: Forgeon Arcanite ARGB Mesh Tower ATX White | Power Supply: Forgeon Bolt PSU 850W 80+ Gold Full Modular White 

>>Vista comes with DX10 indeed, but FSX (and almost all other>games) still uses DX9. So that's why FSX installs DX9 and>that's why you might want to install the latest version of it>too.>>Something about that doesn't sound right. You are absolutely right, it is a hogwash. DirectX is always backward compatible.Michael J.http://img142.imageshack.us/img142/9320/apollo17vf7.jpg

Guest JackDanielsDrinker

Vista has DX10 and a version of DX9 called DX9.0L (L is for Longhorn). The 3D Vista window manager, Aero, uses DX9 (along with FSX). Microsoft couldn't ship Vista with Aero using only DX10, or hardly anyone would be able to use Aero.

Since Vista. There are, indeed, two version of DirectX - DX10 and DX9L. There is no need to delete or change the fsx.cfg file.Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

Guest allcott

>And like others what is the real point of deleting the FSX.cfg file >or just deleting the Device section?As with previous versions of the sim, if you change or alter drivers, the settings do not take in the FSX.cfg unless you first remove the old device section. It is old advice that you should already have read and known about by now. And can be demonstrated by simply installing new drivers and launching FS without taking the advice. Close FSX down, then look in the FSX.cfg - TWO entries for the same thing. Over time, this can cause problems as FSX neither knows nor cares about which is the correct setting. So you delete those lines to remove the possibility of duplication, and force FS to recognise the new driver, or re-recognise the old and set up the appropriate parameters as read from display.cfg when the drivers are loaded for the first time only.This is basic stuff and shouldn't need repeating. More recently we have discovered that to enable the AA mode to be applied from OUTISDE the sim, after first enabling the AA box within it, you also have to remove the display section, or at least a certain line. So the problem is endemic, repeatable, reported and proven. Good enough reason?Allcott