Sign in to follow this  
Guest craig1998

DirectX (June 2007) improves FSX perf. in Windows Vista

Thanks for finding this.However, as I have Vista, I'm not sure how "safe" this is as the DX9 on Vista is different.

Jeff Bea

I am an avid globetrotter with my trusty Lufthansa B777F, Polar Air Cargo B744F, and Atlas Air B748F.

Guest JackDanielsDrinker

I just installed it on Vista. Vista was mentioned in the affected operating system list. No problems here.

In the 12 years I have been trying installing and uninstalling drivers for windows, never seen this happening.It is also the first time I read this advice. Sounds the same as reinstalling everything, windows included, to keep FS smooth. This is not necessary !Guys, I repeat, for your information, it is really not needed to destroy a perfect good installation in the hope it will solve problems.Good advice : install a good antivirus and keep it updated, defrag your hard drive regularly, avoid spyware, and keep your drivers updated. And this includes DirectX.That should be enough to keep your rig fast and sleek.And if you read a little bit on the support pages of Vista : the Vista OS comes shipped with two versions of DirectX : 9L for backward compatibality, and 10 for the new functionalities.This is indeed a complete break with the past, where DirectX always kept backward compatibility with previous versions. You will also have remarked that there is no DX 10 for XP available. jan

Of course, deleting the FSX.cfg would destroy all the errors we put in ourselves in the first place. That could explain a FPS increase :-) .I think that ACEs are best placed to know how to configure FSX, and since I understood that, I have a much smoother overall experience, more flying time and less tweaking lol.Jan

I wonder why there is no downloadable version of DX10/DX9L... I suppose this means it hasn't been updated since the release of Vista? But they do release a new version of the DX9 file every month. Aren't thwey working on DX10/DX9L...? I suppose installing the DX9 file doesn't harm the Vista DX10/DX9L files because DX is clever enough to leave the newest files in tact, right...?

Then only time the display.device section of any fs.cfg file has a duplicate section is when you replace your video card with another model. This may also happen if you add/change multiple screens within the Windows Display settings.This is the only time you need to check for duplicate old and new display.device sections and remove the old one before firing up FS for the second time. The ONLY time this was not true for me was when a new Nvidia driver detected my existing video card as a slightly diferent model, then the display.device section was duplicated in cfg file. This situation was reversed on the next Nvidia driver release.Simply reinstalling a like video driver will not normally require you to delete your fs9(x).cfg file. However, it doesn't hurt to double-check the fs9(x).cfg file every once in a while for duplicate display.device sections either.

Regards,
Al Jordan | KCAE

>I just installed it on Vista. Vista was mentioned in the affected operating system list. No problems here.I am right now looking at the page for the DirectX update and this is what it says:DirectX End-User Runtime Web Installer Brief DescriptionJune 2007The Microsoft DirectX

I've changed drivers many, many, many times and have never seen multiple entries in the .cfg file. The only time I've seen multiple entries is on a video card change. Strange things these computers...Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

Guest craig1998

always a good thing starting fresh though since we have a new flavor of directx. IM not an expert but fresh is always best. Like some1 said b4, we are erasing all are so called "tweaking" mistakes.well do this...start fsx with new directx and note performancemove fsx.cfg to desktop let fsx generate new one and fly and note any performance enhancements (if any)if none or worse plop old fsx.cfg in (you probably loose keyboard assignments and joystick settings if I remember correctly.