Sign in to follow this  

Any upcoming photoreal VFR-addons?

Anyone knows if there are plans to release VFR photoreal scenery in the near future? At this moment there are only two products and (how daft can you get it) they both cover the same region (England and Wales by Horizon and JustFlight). I'm not talking about just cities (like Megascenery) but complete countries, scenery worth of 100 Gb and so on. And yes, I know, addon scenery doesn't work too well right now with SP1, but I'm sure that problem will get solved. ;) And otherwise I'll go back to pre-SP1 because fps is great with the existing VFR packages.

Guest Vigilius

>Anyone knows if there are plans to release VFR photoreal>scenery in the near future? At this moment there are only two>products and (how daft can you get it) they both cover the>same region (England and Wales by Horizon and JustFlight). I'm>not talking about just cities (like Megascenery) but complete>countries, scenery worth of 100 Gb and so on. And yes, I know,>addon scenery doesn't work too well right now with SP1, but>I'm sure that problem will get solved. ;) And otherwise I'll>go back to pre-SP1 because fps is great with the existing VFR>packages.Raimondo Taburet is working on ItalyVFR, the first region is 'Trentino' in the north with beatifull Alps!

Interesting. However the info I found shows not so high resolution textures:http://club.giovani.it/.root/media/14502//taburet02.jpgIn the meantime I found VFR-scenery of Danmark, but also this one has low res textures, even though it's for FSX. The size of the file is 1,9 Gb, which says it all because the complete Horizonset will cost you 100 Gb or something like that...http://secure.simmarket.com/online/danvfr/...fsx/Image22.jpgI really can't fly above lowres scenery anymore! ;)I would really like a high res VFR-scenert for Norway though...!

Probably low res as those areas of the world are not covered by high res....yet. You can use Google Earth/Virtual Earth to explore what is covered and how it looks low down.Using Tileproxy it is interesting seeing what is covered/works in fs. A good part of the US is-and a good part of Europe isn't-again....yet.

Horizon and JustFlight didn't use GoogleEarth for their projects... It does not depend on what is covered in GE/VE, but it depends on how much money a developer wants to spend on high res material from good sources. There is plenty of material covering the whole of Norway in high res (and the whole of Europe too), but that'll cost a lot of money and how many people would buy high res VFR-scenery of Norway? Using Tileproxy won't tell me what is possible with high res VFR-scenery addons.

Guest The Wizard of Oz

Jan,Not quite answering your question but have you actually tried tileproxy yet ?

>Jan,>Not quite answering your question but have you actually tried>tileproxy yet ?My name is not Jan (luckily) but since I see no Jan elsewhere in this topic I presume you are asking me. ;)No, I haven't yet. And in this case it is because of what Geofa said. The quality of GE/VE isn't that good where I usually fly. Besides that what I've read about it has put me off a bit: I'm afraid to screw up my setup/installment of FSX and with SP1 there are problems with texture loading. It also seems to be quite difficult to set up and get the right textures loaded. But maybe I just should give it a try.>Yes-but the photo you submitted must be using these>sources-thus the lower resolution....Hm, those photo's are from payware addons: I doubt if they just copied GE/VE textures. But as said, maybe I should give tileproxy a try. It's better than nothing I suppose. ;)If I use Google Earth (on the Mac right now), will that give an true impression of what I will see in FSX when I use tileproxy...?EDIT:Where can I download the latest SP1 compatible version of tileproxy? On avsim I can only find a file added 30th April 2007...EDIT TWO:Got it already: http://sourceforge.net/projects/tileproxy

I just looked at Norway in GE and it looks awfull, apart from some small parts, like Bergen. I did see though that Switzerland looks pretyy good all over. So what I see in GE I will see in FSX? I think I am going to give it a try today. ;)

Tried it, deleted it. It doesn't work too well with SP1 yet... Loading takes ages (nothing new there) but even then textures fail to load within a few seconds of flying. I'll wait for the next version. And SP2... ;)