Sign in to follow this  
jcomm

How's the MFS F-18 compared to the DCS one ?

Although I sometimes played DCS World, it was mostly the UH-1h and the WW2 warbirds because I have no special interest in modern fighters, but when the F-18 was released for that platform, I believe somewhere along 2021, it was evaluated by various players, including som USAF pilots, and I took some time reading their reviews...

Wonder if any of you who play DCS World F-18 and also FS 2020 could offer some compoarison between the way the fighter/bomber is modeled on both sims ?

I had never tried Maverick since this weekend, but I decided to give it a try and just as it happened back in 2011/2012 with MS FLIGHT I am getting addict to the Challenges 🙂

I particularly enjoyed the air carrier landing, and a couple of high speed / low alt valley flights 🙂

If you can add comments, based specially on your experience with the F-18 for DCS World, cogratefmparing the flight dynamics and as far as it can be done the systems modeling too, I will be grateful and pay ya nice Portuguese Stouter beer if you ever visit us 🙂 

Edited by jcomm

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Dude, there is no need to make a post to understand that the paid F-18 from the dedicated milsim is much better than a free F-18 meant for arcade audience in a civil sim.

• Like 7
  • Upvote 3

Jcomm, even you know the answer to this..

• Like 6
  • Upvote 2

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Hmmm, OFC I am not expecting to read that systems wise they're almost on pair, and regarding the "free", I think the concept of "free" has considerably changed with MFS - just check the Inibuild / 40th Aniversary announcement regarding the availability of their A310...

But I am still interested in finding out how it compares, flying-wise ...

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

2 minutes ago, jcomm said:

It doesn't. But then it was never meant to so it's fine. It's just there to be enjoyed as a bit of fun and for that it's totally fine. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, jcomm said:

Hmmm, OFC I am not expecting to read that systems wise they're almost on pair, and regarding the "free", I think the concept of "free" has considerably changed with MFS - just check the Inibuild / 40th Aniversary announcement regarding the availability of their A310...

I  believe the arcade reference in one of the posts above is pretty accurate!

Sadly not the only arcade-like feature in msfs.

• Like 2

@jcomm no comparison between the MSFS and DCS F/A18's. The Hornet/Rhino aircraft have a very sophisticated fly-by-wire system that is definitely not replicated in the MSFS model. The P3D model by VRS comes a lot closer to DCS but still there are large gaps. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, hs118 said:

@jcomm no comparison between the MSFS and DCS F/A18's. The Hornet/Rhino aircraft have a very sophisticated fly-by-wire system that is definitely not replicated in the MSFS model. The P3D model by VRS comes a lot closer to DCS but still there are large gaps. 

No doubt DCS F-18 is more complex, but as far as sophisticated of fly by wire - I don't think Boeing was involved or shared anything with DCS.  

• Like 1

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

32 minutes ago, sd_flyer said:

No doubt DCS F-18 is more complex, but as far as sophisticated of fly by wire - I don't think Boeing was involved or shared anything with DCS.  

As an example, The F/A-18 series FBW has what is called "1G mode". The overgeneralized, oversimplified explanation for a typical pilot would be the aircraft can be put in any "normal" flying attitude and the aircraft will settle into 1G flight and the control stick will normalize. No need for trim or other control inputs. This is definitely NOT the case with the MSFS model and definitely IS the case with P3D and DCS models.

Another characteristic of the real world aircraft is it's switching FBW modes based on airspeed and aircraft configuration. This mode switch is simulated in the P3D and DCS models....again, not in the MSFS model.

There are several aspects of the FBW system that are public domain (all the real world flight manuals for the F/A-18 Charley, including the older WEPs manuals are available without restriction) that make the simulation in P3D and DCS very good. The MSFS model is simply another high power jet aircraft in terms of FBW simulation.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, sd_flyer said:

On one of my Training Trips to Boeing Aircraft, I got a tour through the F 18 assembly line. That was a real thrill. They actually pushed parts of the aircraft around on these carts from one assembly station to the next.  Everything they did as far as assembly  was recorded  on a computer, and could then be used by maintenace out in the field if repairs were needed. . 

• Like 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

If anyone thinks for 1 sec this comes anywhere close to landing a F-18 on the super carrier in DSC or the aircraft is anything  like.

Then dream on.

Goto YouTube and look up super carrier CAT I and III landing in the F18 in DCS.
New night ops

https://youtu.be/0_-6ux7ZS8c

Edited by Nyxx
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

If you could take the DCS F-18 and Supercarrier and put them into the MSFS World then you'd have the perfect F/A-18 simulation.  I still fly the F/A-18E in MSFS just to fly realistic low levels or fly over realistic terrain.  If I want to seriously fly an F-18 it's DCS all the way.

• Like 2