Sign in to follow this  
pinepix62

World update IX now available

Just now, Tuskin38 said:

That's an opinion I disagree with.

Likewise. Hence my response 🙂 

24 minutes ago, turbomax said:

world update 1 - VIII also available, still.

Thanks for the heads up! DOWNLOADING THEM ALL NOW!!!

• Like 7

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

7 minutes ago, Tuskin38 said:

What makes it awful?

I'm so glad these elitists don't hold sway on how MS/Asobo choose to do things...

• Like 6

5800X3D. 32 GB RAM. 1TB SATA SSD. 3TB HDD. RTX 3070 Ti.

5 minutes ago, Tuskin38 said:

What makes it awful?

The fact that even though he doesn't have to use it, or indeed even download it, there are people just having fun and who are not taking this sim very, very, very seriously.

• Like 11
  • Upvote 1

Maybe MS should just ban people who are offended by its existence from downloading the content.  If those people are actually incapable of downloading the content, then in a way to them it doesn’t actually ‘exist’.

Problem solved?

(quietly remove tongue from cheek)

Edited by VFXSimmer
  • Like 3

What makes it awful? The fact that Asobo employees, and even if it was only a single intern, wasted time on this cheap Microsoft product placement instead of doing something useful to improve and enrich their sim.
The thing itself is actually quite nicely modelled.

But I think Microsoft will be glad to hear that even some of the Avsim crowd think it's cool and funny and entertaining. They'll already have their list ready for other awful stuff that Asobo is forced to model (like a giant flyable Windows Logo? Or a flyable Bill Gates bobblehead with a 8k VC in his brain? You know something all those non-elitist are gonna have fun with for weeks 🙂 )

Edited by Fiorentoni

5 minutes ago, Fiorentoni said:

What makes it awful? The fact that Asobo employees, and even if it was only a single intern, wasted time on this cheap Microsoft product placement instead of doing something useful to improve and enrich their sim.

But I think Microsoft will be glad to hear that even some of the Avsim crowd think it's cool and funny and entertaining. They'll already have their list ready for other awful stuff that Asobo is forced to model (like a giant flyable Windows Logo? Or a flyable Bill Gates bobblehead with a 8k VC in his brain? You know something all those non-elitist are gonna have fun with for weeks 🙂 )

You must have been horrified when OrbX released Santa's Sleigh. 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, jarmstro said:

You must have been horrified when OrbX released Santa's Sleigh. 

You read my mind.

Why complain for something free? If you don't like it, then don't install it, as simple as that xD.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D, 64GB DDR5 6000MHZ RAM, RTX 2080Super 

31 minutes ago, Fiorentoni said:

It was done in partnership with https://www.343industries.com/ per MS/Asobo's post on https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/official-discussion-xbox-bethesda-games-showcase-announcements/524246 ... I very much doubt Asobo resources were impacted in terms of looking at bugs/improvements in the core sim. But even *if* Asobo considered spending their own dev resource on this, to be completely fair and honest, that's wholly their decision to make on how they choose to expand/grow the franchise.

These were MS/Asobo's other responses on that thread which I think are important to note:

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/official-discussion-xbox-bethesda-games-showcase-announcements/524246/157
"We don’t expect everyone to enjoy the Pelican. If it’s not for you, that’s fine. You can simply choose not to download it from the Marketplace and pretend that it doesn’t even exist. Our hope is that fans of the Halo series who otherwise were not interested in Microsoft Flight Simulator will see the Pelican in the trailer and decide to give MSFS a shot, especially if they’re already an Xbox Game Pass subscriber so there’s no additional cost to them. We know many of these people will mess around with the Pelican for a week or two and then move on to other games, but some portion will fall in love with MSFS – something they never even thought to try until now – join our flight sim community, branch out into flying other planes, maybe take the time to learn how to fly more realistically, and perhaps eventually fly on VATSIM, PilotEdge, or IVAO. These new players, in turn, help grow our hobby and expand the number of flight simmers, creating an even greater incentive for 3rd Party Developers to release more high-quality aircraft and other addons. Even if you personally have no intention of downloading fictional aircraft like the Pelican (or other popular science fiction spaceships that are available from mod sites), its addition to Microsoft Flight Simulator will still benefit you in the long run."

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/official-discussion-xbox-bethesda-games-showcase-announcements/524246/204
"I can assure you that the dev team at Asobo is very hard at work fixing bugs and improving the core sim experience. The planes that are coming in the 40th Anniversary Edition are just like our Local Legends and Famous Flyers series of addon aircraft: we’ve contracted some of the best 3rd Party Developers in the business (like Carenado, iniSimulations, MilViz, and more) to create those planes for us. Not one minute of Asobo developer time that would have otherwise been spent addressing performance & stability, fixing bugs, or otherwise improving the base MSFS code was lost because we chose to release these addon planes for our community."

And if the concern is that they are spending money on 3PDs to do these addons, well MS's pockets are very deep and that in no way impacts core sim development.

Edited by lwt1971
  • Like 12
  • Upvote 1

Len
1980s: Sublogic FS II on C64 ---> 1990s: Flight Unlimited I/II, MSFS 95/98 ---> 2000s/2010s: FS/X, P3D, XP ---> 2020+: MSFS
Current system: i9 13900K, RTX 4090, 64GB DDR5 4800 RAM, 4TB NVMe SSD

5 minutes ago, lwt1971 said:

It was done in partnership with https://www.343industries.com/ per Asobo's post

By the way not "per Asobo", it is "per Microsoft". All those community managers are employees of Microsoft not Asobo 

• Like 2

AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D, 64GB DDR5 6000MHZ RAM, RTX 2080Super 

I downloaded it! And I tried it out over Anchorage for about 5 minutes and then deleted it. But, i enjoyed the 5 minutes. I did not have time for a full, truer to life flight, and this was a nice brief distraction in a busy evening.  It did not make me want to learn what Halo is, let alone want to "play" it. It did not undermine my desire to simulate true to life flights. It did not make me think that MSFS is not striving to be an excellent home flight simulator.  It was just a nice distraction for a short period late on a Sunday evening.  Really, I hope this platform can become more things to more people, that it does not close in on itself. If it does that it will in time go the way of FSX and then P3D, an SKD sandbox visited by a small number of people.

Edited by Cognita
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Dan Scott

34 minutes ago, Fiorentoni said:

You know, when I read things like this, I almost get tempted to sign up with Vatsim just to fly the Pelican there. 😅

• Like 7
  • Upvote 1

Between two "boring" flights with pmdg and fenix I just took the Pelican out for a spin over NZ up to FL600 and scared some "serious" pilots in Queenstown. Quite fun and nicely modelled. I think I will revisit it a few times 😄

Imho if you don't do a flight in something like the CriCri, a Pelican or some other strange bird from time to time you are taking this business too serious 😉

Cheers

T.

• Like 1