Sign in to follow this  
egntpilot

FSX Fatal Error

Hi, I have a strange and frustrating problem with FSX. I reinstalled FSX, updated to SP1 and deleted the FSX.cfg file. Launched FSX and it rebuilt the FSX.cfg file and ran fine. I exited and relaunched and it loaded fine, however when I came to launch a flight from the free flight menu, it appears to load ok but freezes once the display comes up. FSX then exits with a fatal error. If I delete the FSX.cfg file and restart it works fine again and I can fly until I exit.If I then try to restart, the sequence starts again, loads up as far as the instrument panel then freezes, then exits with a fatal error.It appears the instrument panel itself is fine, but the outside display appears corrupted. I am running vista home premium 32, nvidia 8800 graphics card with the latest drivers and a dual core amd 4600. I am loath to nuke my set up and reload but will do unless anyone has any ideas that may assist. I find it strange it works with a rebuilt FSX.cfg file then refuses to work after that when I've made no changes in between sessions Thanks in advance, Steve

Guest allcott

Sounds more like a saved flight (.flt) error. Have you tried deleting all the asved flights and making a new default?Allcott

Hi Allcott,Thanks for the reply, but I've deleted all of the .flt files and still get the same response, lock up at display then fatal error. Tried saving different combinations of aircraft and locations, as well as using the default airtrike and Friday island flightThanks againSteve

Hi Steve,"it appears to load ok but freezes once the display comes up. FSX then exits with a fatal error"It would be interesting to know what the fatal error is. However, if I were you I would be suspecting the graphics driver. I suggest you try reinstalling the driver for your 8800, rename your fsx.CFG and then run the sim again. Then, if all's well, you can reinstate your fsx.CFG tweaks.Mike

Hi Mike,it doesn't say what the error is, or if it does I can't see it, just collects details, then offers to get in touch with Microsoft, then restarts FSX. I have tried reinstalling the graphics drivers, but I'll give it another shot, it certainly appears graphics related. I'll let you know how I get on.Cheers,Steve

hi Mike, no joy, same behaviour, I'm v puzzled. Think I may bite the bullet and reinstall. (in fact I may go all the way and revert back to XP Pro. Seem to have a lot of niggling problems with Vista anyway). Thanks to you and Allcott for taking the time to try and help.Steve

Hi Steve,"just collects details, then offers to get in touch with Microsoft"Yes, I wish I could understand the arcane info collected under 'details'. I've never found it to be particularly helpful :( It's all very well sending such info to Microsoft, but if you don't get any feedback or even a link to a solution in their knowledge base, there really doesn't seem to be much point. You are left floundering around for days, if not weeks on end trying to find a solution....or you post on Avsim where quite often real help is available ;) Contact Customer Support and you will likely end up being told to format and reinstall!Any chance you could try a different driver set to see whether the behaviour remains the same?I know I went through a period of frustration when I was getting random blue screens and lockups even while doing basic stuff like accessing menus on the desktop. A thorough clearout of my then current driver set (Omega variants) followed by a clean install of the official ATI WHQL's resolved the problem and for the past couple of months stability reigns supreme!Mike

Hi Mike,tried with a few other drivers, still getting same result. Have nuked my system, back to xp and reinstalled FSX, working like a charm. may go back to Vista once the DX10 patch is out, hopefully by then Vista may be a bit more mature.Thanks very much for your help (and to Allcott also)Steve