Sign in to follow this  
Todd2

Beech 18 available in Marketplace!

On 6/15/2022 at 5:49 AM, Lord Farringdon said:

Has anybody shut an engine down to see how it behaves asymmetrically? 

On this review, right engine shut down and feathered minute 14.30, seems okay, although mostly in a gentle descent. 

• Like 4

Bought it in the Marketplace, but when I start the sim and try to start a flight, it does not show as one of the available aircraft, even though on the Marketplace it says I own it. Any suggestions what might be wrong?

My system specs: Intel i9-10850@3.6 - 5.2 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080, 32GB  DDR4  RAMNoctua NH-D15 CPU Cooler,1TB Seagate SSD, 4TB Seagate HD, Windows 10, Asus 32 inch monitor, Saitek Yoke, Throttle Quadrant, Rudder Pedals and Trim Wheel     Sims: MSFS2020      Preferred Aircraft  Black Square Bonanza, and Baron, A2A Comanche, PMDG DC-6, Red Wing L1049 

OK,  I see on the content manager that the aircraft is not compatible with the version of MSFS that I am running, yet in the game I do not see any notification that I need to install an update. Confused.

My system specs: Intel i9-10850@3.6 - 5.2 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080, 32GB  DDR4  RAMNoctua NH-D15 CPU Cooler,1TB Seagate SSD, 4TB Seagate HD, Windows 10, Asus 32 inch monitor, Saitek Yoke, Throttle Quadrant, Rudder Pedals and Trim Wheel     Sims: MSFS2020      Preferred Aircraft  Black Square Bonanza, and Baron, A2A Comanche, PMDG DC-6, Red Wing L1049 

On 6/16/2022 at 5:39 AM, Republic DC9 said:

I’m curious how one should go about landing this beast?

I can set the Boeing 247 down beautifully, but this seems to bounce, gyrate, tip on one wing, etc. no matter my approach speed?

I’m getting a lot better at landing...one must watch fpm on descent very closely as well as speed and then the landing rollout is less eventful.

I’m enjoying flying this as a break from the 737-700.

On 6/14/2022 at 5:24 PM, bobcat999 said:

I really don't understand the anti-carenado stuff.  They make some decent value planes for the money.  Their Seneca and Skymaster are actually quite good in MSFS. 

They overstretched a bit with some of their FSX/P3d offerings. They did fine on simple GA aircraft that you fly VFR within 100 miles of an airport, but more complex stuff was beyond them. Especially their jets - the systems were often bad to the point of almost unusable, in airplanes where things like navigation and being able to input waypoints actually matter. 

I was mad at 'em for a good while because they had an extra-cost upgrade to the Phenom 300 to make it compatible with Navigraph's charts. Trouble is, the upgrade broke a lot of system functionality, including being able to reliably enter waypoints and have them appear in the order you wanted. When I wrote to ask them about it, they just shrugged. 

They seem to be doing better in MSFS, which I hope continues.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, eslader said:

They overstretched a bit with some of their FSX/P3d offerings. They did fine on simple GA aircraft that you fly VFR within 100 miles of an airport, but more complex stuff was beyond them. Especially their jets - the systems were often bad to the point of almost unusable, in airplanes where things like navigation and being able to input waypoints actually matter. 

I was mad at 'em for a good while because they had an extra-cost upgrade to the Phenom 300 to make it compatible with Navigraph's charts. Trouble is, the upgrade broke a lot of system functionality, including being able to reliably enter waypoints and have them appear in the order you wanted. When I wrote to ask them about it, they just shrugged. 

They seem to be doing better in MSFS, which I hope continues.

Totally agree.  They are good at the lighter GA stuff.  The models or gorgeous of course as we all know, but then they do tend to abandon stuff after a few updates. 
Although they have done better with MSFS with the updates, even when some of the planes were broken after MSFS updates, which wasn't their fault.  But yes, you are right on the money there.

• Like 1

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

Even with GA aircraft in MSFS,  Carenado is a bit hit and miss. 

Admittedly the Carenado stuff always looks good,

In terms of flight and systems -

The Seminole is OK, but the Seneca is actually very good.

The WACO YMF5 is a rort once airborne, but ground handling is truly awful.

The c170 is so-so with poor ground handling and a few glitches -  the Aeroplane Heaven c140 is better.

The Arrow is actually OK but again  the JF PA28's are better. 

The Staggerwing is actually very good and even though a tail dragger ground handling is acceptable, but it does have a sound bug  in multiplayer.

The Mooney was exceptional, great plane, but has issues with recent game updates.

etc etc etc

TLDR - with Carenado wait for a few reviews before deciding.

Edited by Glenn Fitzpatrick
  • Like 3

Howdy,

Does the Beech 18 model engine damage or any engine overheating effects?  Or can you just firewall it all day and not have to worry about it?  Does it also have any cowl flap management?

Thanks & Happy Landings,

JW

54 minutes ago, jwhak said:

Howdy,

Does the Beech 18 model engine damage or any engine overheating effects?  Or can you just firewall it all day and not have to worry about it?  Does it also have any cowl flap management?

Thanks & Happy Landings,

JW

Er ... this is Carenado: definitely no engine damage modelled. Run the 18 in the red all day long if you like. It's indestructible. 

And yes: you do have cowl-flap management to keep you busy. 

10 minutes ago, lupedelupe said:

Er ... this is Carenado: definitely no engine damage modelled. Run the 18 in the red all day long if you like. It's indestructible. 

And yes: you do have cowl-flap management to keep you busy. 

Appreciate the info Lupedelupe.  Happy Landings

Crud 1 more question then I'll hush 😮 . Is icing modeled at all for this bird?

13 minutes ago, jwhak said:

Crud 1 more question then I'll hush 😮 . Is icing modeled at all for this bird?

It probably is, but I haven't seen it or interfaced with the anti-icing switches.

The Beech 18 is a lot of fun, in spite of its faults. Well worth $15. 

7 minutes ago, lupedelupe said:

It probably is, but I haven't seen it or interfaced with the anti-icing switches.

The Beech 18 is a lot of fun, in spite of its faults. Well worth $15. 

Rgr the last ghost rider. Once again appreciate the input.  Happy Landings

Beech 18 seems not bad..   Knocked my sensitivities down on my controls to about -%40 on all axis's and rudder feels way less twitchy and almost right I assume.

Happy Landings