Sign in to follow this  
GSalden

Performance wise : still disableing PG cities needed ?

1 hour ago, jcomm said:

In MFS the glider aerodynamics are partially modelled, but rather incomplete and in some aspects very far from reality. Yet, ASOBO is working with a team, mentioned in the recent 40th Aniversary videos, on a soaring tittle that will probably be released as payware in the future. By that time I am sure the flight dynamics have received the announced updates coming with SU10, and weather modeling is also going to offer some promising features, including thermal lift based on thermal radiation, so, I look forward into the day I can use MFS not only as a tool to analyse soaring tasks flown IRL or to prepare for tasks I plan to try.

I’ll probably give it a try, sounds like fun. There’s some great variety in the sim. Recently I’ve been flying the excellent (freeware) Savage Grravel a lot. Highly recommended!

• Like 2

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD | 2x Samsung 960 EVO 500GB SSDs | Hela 850R Platinum PCIe 5.0 w/ 12VHPWR cable | Corsair RM750X | LG 77" OLED 3840x2160 | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack X Airbus Edition

“Intensify the forward batteries. I don’t want anything to get through”

35 minutes ago, OzWhitey said:

“It looks better than FS9”

That’s only because you (probably) uninstalled most of the terrain tiles from FS9, leaving that sim looking more like FS 4.0.

🙂

🤣

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

1 hour ago, blueshark747 said:

PG off isn’t an option for me with MSFS, its pretty much what makes the sim special. Two things Ill sacrifice last for performance..

ultra clouds and PG

Are you sure you mean PG? And not the Bing grond textures? The latter make the sim special (photoreal all over the world with superb 'autogen'): PG can only be found in smalle parts here and there... But perhaps you purposely only fly over PG? 

1 hour ago, hvw said:

Just wondering. I am only flying airliners, FBW A320NX and Fenix A320, would PG ON make any difference in the "immersion" of flying at high(er) levels?

No. But someone else might say yes. 😉 Just give it a try! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, blueshark747 said:

PG off isn’t an option for me with MSFS, its pretty much what makes the sim special. Two things Ill sacrifice last for performance..

ultra clouds and PG

PG does NOT have to be off in DATA.   You still get all the PG around the world...only PG Cities....that is what triggers the FPS dump while on the ground...a Main Thread issue.  I have PG Cities deleted, but PG as on in Data.

3 minutes ago, Sesquashtoo said:

PG does NOT have to be off in DATA.   You still get all the PG around the world...only PG Cities....that is what triggers the FPS dump while on the ground...a Main Thread issue.  I have PG Cities deleted, but PG as on in Data.

That's not PG. MSFS doesn't have 'PG around the world'. That Bing data concerns photoreal ground textures, something completely different than PG (cities). 

4 hours ago, tup61 said:

Same here. I never uninstall anything and have every official release installed. Graphic settings at ultra, even in the Fenix itself, and things are wonderful. My tweaking days are done (since a long time already).

Ditto here.  I have everything on, runs great, rig below. Nice to be in a period of  Time Flying > Time tweaking. For so long it was the opposite in versions gone by.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Regards,

Max    

(YSSY)

i7-12700K | Corsair PC4-28700 DDR4 32Gb | Gigabyte RTX4090 24Gb | Gigabyte Z690 AORUS ELITE DDR4 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

5 hours ago, Simicro said:

Sorry, quick dumb question: what does PG stand for please?

Photogrammetry, or in this case photogrammetry cities

See

James

Is there a benefit to actually deleting photogrammetry vs just turning it off? I did turn it off a while back because of the melted buildings... autogen just looks better. I did gain about 5fps doing that. I don't really need the perf improvement; all is still smooth with FPS in the high 30s even with it on... but turning it off did provide a measurable FPS boost if someone were chasing that.  Are you saying that actually deleting it would do even more? 

Andrew Crowley

Just to clarify something here that some seem to have misunderstood. 

This isn't about deleting ALL photogrammetry, it's specifically 8  PG files that came with the world updates.  Deleting these stops the main thread overload bug that some of us experience.

If you delete these files but leave PG on in the data settings you still get all the PG cities that were in the sim pre-world update, just not the newer ones added in world updates.   

You can still re-enable a world update PG file and fly in that area with all the PG and no performance bug.   

The issue seems to only rear its head flying in the US with these files still enabled, even though they have nothing to do with the US.   It's a weird one 🙂

Edited by The Moose
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, The Moose said:

This isn't about deleting ALL photogrammetry, it's specifically 8  PG files that came with the world updates

Hi,

Still confused. I cannot seem to find these 8 PG files, I ransacked my Content Manager but no luck. Can you please be so kind to inform me what files you are talking about and where they are located? Thanks a lot.

• Like 1

Kind regards,
Hans van WIjhe

Acer Predator P03-640 2.10 Ghz Intel 12th Gen Core 17-12700F 64GB memory, Noctua NH-U9S Cooler, 1.02 TB SSD HD, 1.02 TB HD,  NVidia Geforce RTX 3070 16GB Memory, Windows 11 (x64)

When in content manger click the box (circled in red) in the image first,  then in the search box type photogrammetry and you'll end up with 9 files listed like in the pic ( i presume there's 9 now. as there should be a USA one as well now)    What I do is delete all of them apart from the area I'm going to be flying in if there is one for that area, if there isn't delete the lot..

Quit the sim and restart.  

e0CFC5u.jpeg

50 minutes ago, hvw said:

Hi,

Still confused. I cannot seem to find these 8 PG files, I ransacked my Content Manager but no luck. Can you please be so kind to inform me what files you are talking about and where they are located? Thanks a lot.

in your contant manager , search for photo. then press the 3 stripes by sort by. you should have 9 results. Delete al of them. You can reactivate them also in the same manner.

• Like 1

Rig Specs; CPU AMD Ryzen 7950X3d, GPU AMD Liquid Red Devil 7900XTX 24GB,  Memory 32GB 2x8 3000 CL30, WD-SN850 Black 500 GB, WD-SN850 Black  2TB, Asus MoBo X670E D Hero, Be Quit Straight power 1200 Watt platinum. 18 Noctua fans , Aquacomputer Octo tempsensores, yes I am a PC freak.

watercooled 2 x360 rads noctua's push pull EKWB blocks for GPU and CPU 

Screen LG 34GN850-B  with freesync premium     

39 minutes ago, pilotter said:

in your contant manager , search for photo. then press the 3 stripes by sort by. you should have 9 results. Delete al of them. You can reactivate them also in the same manner.

Thanks a lot. Found them.

Kind regards,
Hans van WIjhe

Acer Predator P03-640 2.10 Ghz Intel 12th Gen Core 17-12700F 64GB memory, Noctua NH-U9S Cooler, 1.02 TB SSD HD, 1.02 TB HD,  NVidia Geforce RTX 3070 16GB Memory, Windows 11 (x64)

41 minutes ago, The Moose said:

you'll end up with 9 files listed like in the pic

Thanks a bunch, found them.

• Like 1

Kind regards,
Hans van WIjhe

What about the Challenges, Lessons and aircraft you will never fly ?

Disableing them is multiple Gb.

Anyone tried that to see if it has a positive efffect on performance?

( Here I have a 738 full size cockpit ) 

• Like 1

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0