Sign in to follow this  
Nemo

WU10 PAVD?

I was happy when I saw that we have finally Valdez. But unfortunately, something is going wrong there. MSFS Real Weather shows OAT > 10 °C at 1000 ft, but all is white and the sea is frozen. Is this normal mid June?

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).

weathercams.faa.gov shows the ground around Valdez as snow-free and no sea ice. There appears to be some scattered snow remaining on the mountain tops. 

The depiction of sea ice around the area is unrealistic and visually jarring (as is the progression from ground snow to grass/trees). I was hoping for an airport and surroundings that at least resembled the P3D OrbX PAVD, but the MSFS version was disappointing in comparison. Even though it was free upgrade, I don't think I'll be using it much.

Visually Jarring, wow, that could induce a coronary attack or maybe a stroke??🤥....

• Like 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

18 minutes ago, Nemo said:

I was happy when I saw that we have finally Valdez. But unfortunately, something is going wrong there. MSFS Real Weather shows OAT > 10 °C at 1000 ft, but all is white and the sea is frozen. Is this normal mid June?

It's an ongoing issue with the way the sim reads the snowcoverage data from Meteoblue.

There is an ongoing thread about this on the official forums where people keep complaining about it, but nothing changed so far.

The problem is that the sim seems to read the snow coverage from METEOBLUE only at the lowest available resolution instead on the highest. This way you get snow in places where there is none in reality.

If you are from Vienna, like your profile suggest, you can test this out for yourself by flying near the Wildspitze and you'll see that a large blob of snow still exists that extends well down into the Pitztal (at least it still did so last week). 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

Visually Jarring, wow, that could induce a coronary attack or maybe a stroke??🤥....

@Bobsk8 I usually enjoy your humorous interventions, but I don't see the point you're trying to make. Is it simply mockery for someone using the term 'visually jarring'. I was expressing my reaction to the depiction of sea ice around the Valdez sound. If you disagree then that's fine. What purpose does your mockery serve?

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Gabshall said:

@Bobsk8 I usually enjoy your humorous interventions, but I don't see the point you're trying to make. Is it simply mockery for someone using the term 'visually jarring'. I was expressing my reaction to the depiction of sea ice around the Valdez sound. If you disagree then that's fine. What purpose does your mockery serve?

I guess I have a sense of humor. 😉

• Like 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

Aspiring to induce serious medical conditions is 'humour' - I'll note for further reference.

How would you describe the area around Valdez?

1 hour ago, Farlis said:

It's an ongoing issue with the way the sim reads the snowcoverage data from Meteoblue.

There is an ongoing thread about this on the official forums where people keep complaining about it, but nothing changed so far.

The problem is that the sim seems to read the snow coverage from METEOBLUE only at the lowest available resolution instead on the highest. This way you get snow in places where there is none in reality.

If you are from Vienna, like your profile suggest, you can test this out for yourself by flying near the Wildspitze and you'll see that a large blob of snow still exists that extends well down into the Pitztal (at least it still did so last week). 

Thanks for the explanation. And yes, I've seen that in Austria too. That's why I'm flying with MSFS and 3rd party defined weather situations quite often. Unfortunately, MSFS/Bing Austria scenery textures are also not consistent in some areas, where we see partially snow covered valleys but neighbored mountains are snow-free. In this case default clear weather would not help anyway.

It's not a big deal but sometimes it is disturbing a bit.

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).

Deleted as no value added with comment 

Edited by btacon

@Nemo If the incorrect snow coverage is due to Meteoblue, does using a 3rd party weather add-on remove snow from around Valdez? Just wondering if Rex Weather Force would visually improve the area.

2 minutes ago, btacon said:

Hyperbole Much?

Seriously? Can you explain how a simple English term is considered hyperbole? 

4 minutes ago, Gabshall said:

Seriously? Can you explain how a simple English term is considered hyperbole? 

Can you explain any other way to describe this?  “Aspiring to induce serious medical conditions is 'humour'

Yes I did. “Aspiring to induce serious medical conditions is 'humour'” is a classic example of Hyperbole

No. Your comment described the term 'visually jarring' as hyperbole (the comment you deleted). I was wondering how two simple words could be construed as hyperbole. Answering a question with something unrelated is not a descriptive answer.

I would also assert that my description of Bobk8's comment was a literal interpretation and therefore devoid of hyperbole.

If you don't like the vocabulary someone uses then don't comment. This thread was about the rendition of Valdez and it has been derailed by needless mockery. The use of two words 'visually jarring' has elicited 10 posts without any useful input. It would have at least been useful to comment on the nature of the scenery, even if it was to articulately disagree. 

Edited by Gabshall
  • Upvote 1