Sign in to follow this  
himmelhorse

MSFS will not open

Good morning, evening or night to all,

For the last three weeks I have endured a significant problem with MSFS.

The problem is that MSFS loads to the first part (ie where you select aircraft, airport etc) but after selecting a default (or any) aircraft and a departing airport, I click "fly" the blue bar goes rapidly to about 75 percent and then stops or locks up. This is happening with a vanilla install (renamed Comunity folder) which creates an empty Community folder.  I have also used a back up "Official" folder, but nothing is working.

To try to correct this I have done about four uninstalls and reinstalls. I am installing to Drive D  as there is insufficient space on my C drive, but I see this as irrelevant as I have always installed this sim into Drive D. I have gone into C/users/username/AppData/local/packages and deleted the Flightsimulator folder entirely, before and after an uninstall procedure.  I have also reformatted Drive D and none of this works. 

I also note that MSFS now installs an alfa and numerical folder (1526D95E-A767-4FAC-BD17-F1E5C8D28642) in the MSFS folder as well as a microsoft flight simulator digital owner folder. and this is new for me in the last few weeks.

I also moved my Community.bak and Official.bak folders to another hard drive before reformatting.  They are yet to be moved back into my MSFS folder.

Can anybody give me some idea of what is going on please.

Regards

Tony 

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

1 x 1tb SSD 3 x 240BG SSD and 4 x 2TB HDD

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

To get started I would like to suggest you try 2 things.

First, try changing servers and see if it loads. Try restarting the sim if it doesn't work the first time on the different server.

Second, try disabling all online connectivity in the sim, bing, weather, traffic etc. Try that if the servers didn't work.

If neither of these two works that means there must be an issue locally on your install. Should help narrow things somewhat.

• Like 1

P3Dv4 + XP11

MFS

Given that you have completely uninstalled and reinstalled the sim and confirmed a 100% empty Community folder, the issue is possibly in Windows itself. Have you by any chance previously run the Google mod to replace the Bing imagery in the sim? There is a known issue and an easy fix for that.

Unfortunately, uninstalling software very seldom removes every trace of it from a PC.

You have been struggling for three weeks with this. Some here would disagree and everyone’s circumstances are different but I would pull the plug - that is to say I would backup everything on the PC, format the PC, reinstall Windows on a fresh partition and reinstall the sim. You will be back up and running in a couple hours (internet speed permitting), mostly unattended as you wait for the sim to download. 

Windows takes less than 30 minutes to install vs three weeks (and counting) of frustrated trouble shooting that has brought you no results.

• Like 2

GregH

Intel Core i7 14700K / Palit RTX4070Ti Super OC / Corsair 32GB DDR5 6000 MHz / MSI Z790 M/board / Corsair NVMe 9500 read, 8500 write / Corsair PSU1200W / CH Products Yoke, Pedals & Quad; Airbus Side Stick, Airbus Quadrant / TrackIR, 32” 4K 144hz 1ms Monitor

Thanks mate,

That kinda makes sense in that I have been getting constant streaming issues prior to this problem. This is despite Ookla tests which indicate 90-95 Mbs. I have actually tried all three servers offered to me and that makes no difference.

I just cannot get my head around streaming and stopping at 75% loading after setting all my flight parameters actually being related.

Regards

Tony

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

3 minutes ago, RaptyrOne said:

Given that you have completely uninstalled and reinstalled the sim and confirmed a 100% empty Community folder, the issue is possibly in Windows itself. Have you by any chance previously run the Google mod to replace the Bing imagery in the sim? There is a known issue and an easy fix for that.

Unfortunately, uninstalling software very seldom removes every trace of it from a PC.

You have been struggling for three weeks with this. Some here would disagree and everyone’s circumstances are different but I would pull the plug - that is to say I would backup everything on the PC, format the PC, reinstall Windows on a fresh partition and reinstall the sim. You will be back up and running in a couple hours (internet speed permitting), mostly unattended as you wait for the sim to download. 

Windows takes less than 30 minutes to install vs three weeks (and counting) of frustrated trouble shooting that has brought you no results.

I have not used Google scenery for a couple of months as I cannot detect much difference.  Both systems are so outdated in Australia, the rendition of Magnetic Island in Queensland is  barely recognizable.

Unfortunately, I do not have a copy of Windows 11 which is what I am currently running as it was installed at a computer shop. I will do some research and see if I can repair it in lieu before sending it back to the shop.

Regards and thanks mate

Tony

Tony Chilcott.

10 minutes ago, himmelhorse said:

I just cannot get my head around streaming and stopping at 75% loading after setting all my flight parameters actually being related.

3 minutes ago, Bert Pieke said:

See topic on Google scenery..

Hi Tony,  as Bert alludes - sounds like a very simple fix to the windows hosts file:

Open your windows hosts file in a text editor like Notepad.  Look for the following two lines, and delete them:

127.0.0.1 kh.ssl.ak.tiles.virtualearth.net
127.0.0.1 khstorelive.azureedge.net

Save.  Boot the sim.  Cheers.

• Like 1

Regards, Kendall

Guys,

I will try that shortly. I have to abandon ship till about five this evening at which time I can try it out and report back

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1

Tony Chilcott.

Try this. This is a copy paste off a post on the official MSFS forum. Try this as even though you are not using the Google mod anymore, it can make some changes /add some entries into Windows config files which cause  connection issues. Reverting to Bing does not revert these settings. You need to manually delete entries described below.

For anyone that has downloaded the Google maps mod and is having issues, try doing this: Use the windows search bar and search Notepad. Right click on it and run as Administrator. In Notepad, go File, Open and then navigate to Windows (C:), Windows, System32, drivers, etc and open the host file. Get rid of: 127.0.0.1 kh.ssl.ak.tiles.virtualearth.net and 127.0.0.1 kh.store live.azureedge.net

Save and exit

Edited by RaptyrOne
  • Like 2

GregH

Intel Core i7 14700K / Palit RTX4070Ti Super OC / Corsair 32GB DDR5 6000 MHz / MSI Z790 M/board / Corsair NVMe 9500 read, 8500 write / Corsair PSU1200W / CH Products Yoke, Pedals & Quad; Airbus Side Stick, Airbus Quadrant / TrackIR, 32” 4K 144hz 1ms Monitor

2 minutes ago, RaptyrOne said:

Try this. This is a copy paste off a post on the official MSFS forum. Try this as even though you are not using the Google mod anymore. It can make some changes /add some entries into Windows config files which cause  connection issues. Reverting to Bing does not revert these settings. You need to manually delete entries described below.

For anyone that has downloaded the Google maps mod and is having issues, try doing this: Use the windows search bar and search Notepad. Right click on it and run as Administrator. In Notepad, go File, Open and then navigate to Windows (C:), Windows, System32, drivers, etc and open the host file. Get rid of: 127.0.0.1 kh.ssl.ak. Tiles.virtualearth.net and 127.0.0.1 kh.store live.azureedge.net

Save and exit

Yep, what Bert said............

Regards, Kendall

Hello all again,

I have a curious thing happening here. 

If I follow the windows search/Notepad/run as administrator/File/Open/navigate to windows/system32/drivers/etc and open, there are no files.

If I just navigate to this spot without using the windows search bar ... ie Drive C/Windows/System32/Drivers/ETC, I get the hosts file, imhosts.sam, networks, protocol and services files. Clicking on hosts, I get a notification about how I want to open this file. I cannot get notepad (in this screen) to run as administrator but I click on Notepad and it opens that hosts file, where I do indeed, have those 127 lines at the bottom. I delete these and try to save and I follow the process it tells me I cannot save to that location (no admin privileges)  and wants to save to documents.  

I am the only user and I have administrator rights.

Where do I go to from here please?

Regards

Tony

Tony Chilcott.

Hello again,

One other thing please

Where can I locate notebook in Win11 so that I can access properties (in order to run as administrator)

Regards

Tony

Tony Chilcott.

11 minutes ago, himmelhorse said:

Hello again,

One other thing please

Where can I locate notebook in Win11 so that I can access properties (in order to run as administrator)

Regards

Tony

I have W 10, but it should be the same. Go to the search bar, search for notepad, and when it comes up, right click on it and select run as administrator. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

Bobsk8,

Mate i need to do this through properties. I do it your way and I still cannot delete the offending 127 lines in Hosts.

Once I get into notebook properties I know where to go from there.

Regards

Tony

Tony Chilcott.