Sign in to follow this  
meshman

Ultimate Terrain X nearing release

Looks like the next big piece in the add-on puzzle is almost upon us. Ultimate terrain was definitely a must have in FS2004 and it looks to be even better for FSX. A giant preview was just posted athttp://www.simforums.com/forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=21320It seems with FSX that each of the big add-ons (UTX, FEX/GEX, ASX/XG)have more overlapping features than they did in previous versions. It should be interesting trying to layer them to get the best overall experience...

Guest cbeal

Interesting. Can't wait until Ulitmate Terrain Canada is released. Does anybody have any idea how UT will interact with other addons:1) Landclass (FSG or SceneryTech). UTX appears to come with it's own landclass.2) Ground Environment X3) Megascenery XLike the OP indicated, there is more overlap between products. Is UTX intended to be a 1 stop shop?Thanks,C.

Guest allcott

If you actually READ the topic and the USE the preview, it tells you the answer. UTX is designed to integrate with aftermarket landclass, textures and mesh.This is gong to be an exciting alternative to the Tileproxy/photoreal solution, especially as this works with the SDK, not against it.Allcott

Guest Hocking

Which was better in FS9, Ultimate Terrain or Ground Environment? It appears as if these two programs are competing with each other. Are they both the same? Ground Environment will supposedly be released in late June/early July, and UTX appears as if it will be released any day now. Thanks.

UT and GE are not at all the same. GE is ground textures. UT only has textures for industrial areas, golf courses, cemeteries. UT adds accurate coastlines, roads, railroads, golf courses, parks, cemeteries, enhanced 3D night lighting and rivers. The FSX version adds 3D generic bridges on all roads that cross water, tunnel entries and exits, added traffic to more roads and a whole lot more. Both GE and UT work well together to enhance FS.

It looks very cool indeed (watched al 89 sliders ;) ). Hopefully it won't take long before they release Europe... I hope it will work together with GE well, though. They are indeed different products but it might be possible that GE will 'overwrite' some UT stuff, it seems to me. But if they manage to get the same detail for Europe as they do for the USA it would be very nice indeed! Way too many roads and stuff are missing now in Europe. I also like the cars on smaller roads too! Finally there will be cars driving around in Norway.Anyone maybe knows if and when Europe might be released...?

Guest guz99

Not too impressed. Especially beaches and rocky shorelines didnt blend very well.

>Not too impressed. Especially beaches and rocky shorelines>didnt blend very well.Yes, you should stay with the default FSX stuff..it looks way more realistic:-roll

Eric 

Indeed, this product looks very promising and will hopefully interface seamlessly with GEX. As Todd indicated, they vary in scope and purpose enough so as to enhance the default FSX in differing areas.Alan, from Scenery Solutions, has stated that work on the project started 9 months ago and the release for Europe should follow hot on the heals of the US version.Regards,Jim KarnNOTHING is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Guest allcott

Did anyone else notice that in addition to the `inaccurate` beaches, Ultimate Terrain X also has the gall to remove those deserts in the middle of everywhere, USA?I'm with Guz99, and every one of his five posts. I think it's disgraceful, everyone knows that FSX only puts deserts in places where there should be deserts. How inaccurate is that!? I demand photorealism! Bring me those up to five years old data sets with no night textures, season or autogen, in varying resolutions, with different light densities RIGHT NOW!:-wave :-bigangel Allcott

:-xxrotflmao Regards,Jim KarnNOTHING is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Guest SSmokin

Looks good to me, you can't go wrong with UT, it made a world of difference in FS9. I would love to see some more night shots though, as I think that this was the most dramatic improvment in FS9. Great job guys.

Guest MauiHawk

I'm really excited about this one and most of the preview looks great...... but is anyone else a little skeptical of the freeway textures? I love the interchanges and all, but the road textures themselves appear less realistic to me that the default FSX textures. Doesn't look much better than a thin solid gray line.

I believe you can choose concrete or asphalt textures for your freeways in setup...I'm curious if UT includes any rural landclass changes; it definitely appears to add some towns and cities missing from FSX default, but is not clear to me just how much is added outside of the main urban areas. Did they add in all small towns down to a certain population, resample all of the landclass areas, etc? I'm aware they have made it possible to sandwich in additional landclass such as Justin's FSG landclass for these areas, but I would like to know about UT's own built in landclass for all of the areas outside of major urban areas.UTX at this point does appear to be one of those nice additions to FSX.

Ken